Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: ISBN--paperback not hardcover

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ShaylaB avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: ISBN--paperback not hardcover
Date Posted: 7/30/2007 10:53 PM ET

I have a book that I would like to post...when I type in the ISBN the description comes up with the correct title, author, etc., but it describes it as Hardcover when it isn't it is a paperback.  I don't want to post this incorrectly so what do I do?  Any insight is appreciated. Shayla

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/30/2007 10:57 PM ET

You have to post it as if it does not have an ISBN.

:)

Allie

royaltech avatar
Member of the Month medalBook Cover Image Approver medalBook Data Coordinator medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 7/31/2007 2:46 AM ET

Type the word WRONG into the help center, one of the answers says If the information on a book listing in the database is incorrect... That one explains all about it, and how publishers re-use ISBNs and how to post it, as Allie says, as if it did not have an ISBN.

bookaddict avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/31/2007 4:08 AM ET

actually a better Help center search is for "isbn on paperback comes up hardcover"

this brings up

as the first three search results.

if the ISBN on your book brings up a hardcover, you do need to be sure your book is not an ARC, as the first bulleted item above mentions.

:)

ETA: just actually copy-pasting from your post "when I type in the ISBN the description comes up with the correct title, author, etc., but it describes it as Hardcover when it isn't it is a paperback" brings up the first item above.  Wow, that Help Center search works well.

Last Edited on: 7/31/07 4:10 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
harmony85 avatar
Date Posted: 7/31/2007 10:49 AM ET

Shayla-check the page in the book that has the publication info.  Sometimes they will list an ISBN on the back of the book that's different from the pub. page, or sometimes on the publishing page there will be more than one ISBN listed for HC, lib. binding, or PB.  If there isn't anything there, use the suggestions above. 

krisbooks avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 7/31/2007 3:31 PM ET

Just as an FYI, this happens sometimes with books published by Quality Paperback Book Club.  It's frustrating, especially if the book is WLed.

bookmuncher avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/31/2007 4:06 PM ET

Some publishers simply reuse the ISBN for both (the same happens for Large Print, even more often). PBS can only list one type as the primary book type for a given ISBN, so you simply have to post it without the ISBN. This of course is annoying because people will have more trouble finding it, but them's the breaks. When that happens you may want to list the book on the monthly "Wishlisted Books with Different ISBNs" thread in the Book Forum part of the discussion forums, to increase the chance of people finding it.

Last Edited on: 7/31/07 4:07 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
dawgsncats avatar
Date Posted: 8/1/2007 8:57 AM ET

It's also distinctly possible that you have an ARC (Advanced Reader's Copy).  Check the covers carefully for any notation to that effect.  ARC's cannot be posted on PBS but you can offer them free with an order from your shelf over in Book Bazaar section of the forum.