Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: June Historical Fiction Reads

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Subject: June Historical Fiction Reads
Date Posted: 6/6/2020 1:26 PM ET

What are you reading this month? 

My first HF  read for June is Deadly Election (Flavia Albia, Bk 3) by Lindsey Davis as well as my first read by this author.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 6/7/2020 7:34 AM ET

I finished my book Louise's Blunder by Sarah R. Shaber. 4.5 stars out 5   Book 4 of the series. Love this series. Set in 1943 Washington DC. Lots of great WWII stateside history, from music, rationing, president, spys. Good mystery too. Very nice to have WWII perspective from USA rather than Europe. I highly recommend this series.

yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 6/8/2020 9:50 AM ET

Starting Anatomy of Evil by Will Thomas

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 6/9/2020 4:08 PM ET

Reading Mother of the Believers.  Not currently listening to anything. 

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 6/17/2020 7:17 AM ET

I am reading White Houses by Amy Bloom. It is about the love affair between Lorena Hickok and Eleanor Roosevelt.  Very interesting.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 6/22/2020 7:06 AM ET

I am reading And They called It Camelot by Stephanie Marie Thornton.  Story of Jackie Kennedy. It is really good.

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 6/23/2020 10:37 AM ET

Still not listening to anything, but I did finishe The Mother of the Believers by Kamran Pasha.  It was okay.  I didn't particularly like the main character, but it was very interesting to learn about the beginning of Islam.  I really knew nothing about that.  

Will report back once I figure out what to read next. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/24/2020 2:55 PM ET

Carolyn:  What are you thinking about Antomy of Evil?  It's on my TBR pile to read this year and I do like the author's work very much.  Always like to hear what others think, too.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/30/2020 6:53 AM ET

Just finished The Magician's Lie by Greer Macallister which I just couldn't put down until I finished it so I spent yesterday reading.  The tale is about a young woman whose life is filled with both highs and lows.  A man becomes obsessed with her and emerges in her life again and again to abuse and torture her.  She is a talented magician, skilled with illusions.  The story details life on the road with characters so well developed this reader actually felt Ada's pain.  Excellent read.  I simply must recommend this one.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 6/30/2020 6:55 AM ET

I finished The Templar by Paul Doherty. I appreciate the amount of research in the book. It was very dry though. Characters needed some umph. I can not imagine going on a crusade...