Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: It's June What are You reading this month?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Subject: It's June What are You reading this month?
Date Posted: 6/2/2019 12:58 PM ET

I started reading Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys; very good so far!

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 6/4/2019 7:12 AM ET

Good Morning,

I am actually reading cozy mystery The Loch Ness Papers by Paige Shelton. It this book there is discussion about King Arthur and were Camelot may have been. Love King Author legend

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 6/4/2019 9:51 AM ET

Hi, Cheryl and Alice!  I finished The Greenest Branch the other night. I enjoyed it.  Looking forward to reading the second book in the series.  Hildegard of Bingen intrigues me.  Such a progressive lady!  I started reading Mary Coin last night, and I'm still listening to The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock.  Haven't had much time for audio book listening lately, so progress is slow. 

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 6/6/2019 6:15 AM ET

Obtained the HF The Only Woman in the Room by Marie Benedict from the libary.  It's about Hedy Lamarr, an actress who was a brilliant as she was beautiful.  Love reading these types of books.  Read The Other Einstein by the same author earlier this year and quite enjoyed that one.  Her writing flows so well that the pages fly by.

By the way this is a wonderful read.  Read another book about her life that did not look into her earlier life.  Also watched a special about her and her scientific work. Read this one.  I think it's outstanding.  And, don't miss the author's comments at the end of the book.

Last Edited on: 6/7/19 9:57 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
KellyP avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 6/8/2019 11:56 AM ET

Oh, Cheryl! I loved Salt to the Sea !!

I just finished Where the Crawdads Sing, by Delia Owens. Such a great book! Set in the marsh of North Carolina, primarily spanning a time frame of early 1950's to 1970's.

~Kelly

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 6/9/2019 1:58 PM ET

I've got "Crawdads" on my bookshelf, good to know that's it is a worthwhile read!  Right now I'm reading one of the Captain Alatriste novels by Arturo Perez-Reverte, The Cavalier in the Yellow Doublet.  His books are always a good choice when you need some swashbuckling swordplay and political intrigue.

Last Edited on: 6/9/19 2:00 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 6/9/2019 2:09 PM ET

REK there is a good biography from PBS about Hedy LaMarr. Her kids narate a lot of it. I found it on Netflix

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 6/13/2019 9:26 AM ET

I am read The Throne of Caesar by Steven Saylor It is his latest in the Rome series. Excellent. Dialogue is wonderful. If you enjoy ancient Rome this is a great series.

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 6/13/2019 5:08 PM ET

Kelly, good to know on Crawdads.  I've heard a lot of good things.  A co-worker, who reads voraciously, said it's one of the better books she's read.  My MIL has it, so I'm going to borrow it from her. 

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 6/13/2019 9:25 PM ET

I've started another delightful book by Georgette Heyer, The Toll Gate.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/14/2019 7:34 AM ET

Finished with Twain's End by Lynn Cullen.  The novel is derived from the diary of his secretary, Twain's notes and letters and other sources.  It shows a side of Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens that his fans rarely saw.  The author constructs what she imagines the relationships between his secretary, Isabel V. Lyon; his business manager, Ralph Ashcroft, and Twain himself might have been.  The reader discovers that the humorist was controlling and needed to be the center of any situation.  Isabel was deeply in love with him and hoped to become his wife but married Ashcroft when Twain kept putting the decision off.

Last Edited on: 6/17/19 7:47 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 6/20/2019 7:48 AM ET

I finished an excellent historical mystery Delivering the Truth by Edith Maxwell.  First in the series set in 1888 Amesbury, Ma.  Very interesting about Quakers, midwifes and a good mystery. Highly recommend. 

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 6/22/2019 7:42 PM ET

Hello, all!  I finished Mary Coin by Marisa Silver a couple of days ago, and I am now reading Fever by Mary Beth Keane, a book about Typhoid Mary.  Good so far.  Unfortunately it doesn't fit into any of the categories for this year's challenge, but I really wanted to read it after reading an article on North Brother Island off the coast of NY, where Mary was quarantined.  Such a fascinating abandoned island.  I would love to tour it!   Still listening to The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock, which I'm enjoying very much. 

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 6/23/2019 4:26 PM ET

I've started a new h/f mystery series by David Liss, A Conspiracy of Paper.  The main character, Benjamin Weaver,  is a very intriguing ex pugilist, Jewish investigator.  I hope to use this one for our h/f mystery challenge under the new to you author category.  It's getting harder and harder to find one that fits that description as I love a good historical mystery!  I just finished up The Dream of Scipio by Iain Pears.  His books to me are on the dry side writing wise and very academic, but I always feel like I have stretched my brain and learned something new about art history or philosophy when I read one of them.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/25/2019 7:45 PM ET

Cheryl:  I am reading The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss.  Just beginning.  I like his style and tales.

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 6/25/2019 10:51 PM ET

Agreed REK!  I like the book very much so far.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 6/26/2019 7:07 AM ET

I just finished reading Murder in the Queen's Old Castle by Cora Harrison. I have liked the earlier books in this series but I didn't think this one was quite as good. Generally she work more history in this was just murder plot. Set in 1925 Cork, Ireland