Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: Laura Kinsale

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
BrokenWing avatar
Limited Member medal
Subject: Laura Kinsale
Date Posted: 8/7/2007 12:53 PM ET

I loved Shadowheart because it was steamy, edgy and emotional, but I've been disappointed with other books.  I couldn't even finish For My Lady's Heart because it was so slow-moving and lukewarm and I'm not thrilled with the Shadow and the Star either (romance took way too long to get started), although both of these got good reviews.  Does she only have one good one?  The others haven't held my interest. 

I have Flowers from the Storm, which I've heard is phenomenal, but now I'm afraid to start it, thinking it will disappoint me like the others.  What do you think, is it good?  Don't want another Disappointment. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/7/2007 1:16 PM ET

Claudia,

Flowers from the Storm is one of those books that will stay with you for years.  One of my all time favorites.

Currently reading: More than a Mistress (Mary Balogh)

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/7/2007 2:11 PM ET

I ordered Flowers From The Strom. I have nver read her before. The reviews were great. I'm looking forward to it! Thanks, Sheryl.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/7/2007 9:07 PM ET

I just finished Flowers from the Storm last week.  Very different from most fluffy romances, not a quick read, but the book is so different and compelling that it will stay with you. 

shotlady avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/7/2007 10:27 PM ET

Shadowheart is different from her other books, but every book I've read by her is great.   One of my favorites is Seize The Fire.  Very emotional.

RedWingHockeyFan avatar
Date Posted: 8/8/2007 10:11 AM ET

I had heard nothing but raves about FLOWERS FROM THE STORM and after reading it, my personal opinion is/was :  "Much Ado About Nothing"

It wasn't the worst book I have ever read, it wasn't even a bad book, it simply wasn't anywhere close to being one of the best books I have ever read. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/9/2007 2:22 PM ET

Like I said I just read Flowers from the Storm last week and I have a question for anyone who has read it:  When they got married with the soldiers knocking on the doors of the church, who were the soldiers?  Was it ever established if they were hired by Chervault's friend or what?  Thanks.

quackers avatar
Date Posted: 8/9/2007 5:11 PM ET

It's been awhile since I've read any romance, but Laura Kinsale was my fav romance author.  I like how her men are non-traditional heros and she makes them suffer so...her books are not like any other romances I have read.  But I have to agree that her later books weren't as good as earlier ones. 

Flowers  From the Storm was good--I would rank it just below Seize the Fire (her best IMHO).  I also liked the Prince of Midnight.