Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Random Acts of Kindness (RAOK) Random Acts of Kindness (RAOK)

Topic: Media Mail lesson learned

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
sandi00 avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Media Mail lesson learned
Date Posted: 3/18/2021 12:50 PM ET

Hoping to save others from sending an RAOK and having it returned (with $3.00 of wasted postage). I know there are Media Mail tips listed in the rules here in the RAOK and I thought I was following them, however I just received a package of vintage newspaper & brochures that I mailed to Michelle (sixxchic) a couple of weeks ago, ripped open, resealed and a big NOT MEDIA! on the front with my stamps ruined with a black marker. Here's the thing - I put more postage on this than was required per the weight on my scale, so I thought all was fine.  Obviously not! They assumed it was media. From now on I'll be using a flat rate envelope when mailing anything that doesn't fit in a card.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 3/18/2021 2:05 PM ET

The flat rate costs went up in January.....almost no way to send things cheaply now if it' s not a flat envelope. 

sandi00 avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/18/2021 6:26 PM ET

Jeanne, I totally agree with you! Flat rate is my favorite way to mail things when it's heavier, but I thought this qualified as media mail. The odd thing is that it had enough postage for it's weight going first class mail. Oh well, off it goes in a flat rate :-)

gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/19/2021 6:19 PM ET

Anything with advertising in it is not considered media mail.  The newspapers, even if they're vintage, would disqualify the package.  Brochures might as well but I'd have to look that up.