Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Moderator Approving Book Descriptions

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Bast avatar
Bast -
Subject: Moderator Approving Book Descriptions
Date Posted: 9/12/2007 4:21 AM ET

I went through my shelf earlier this week/late last week (can't remember which) and added a bunch of book descriptions. After each one, it said it was pending approval of a moderator. How long does that take, out of curiosity?

Last Edited on: 9/12/07 4:21 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/12/2007 5:02 AM ET

They all have to be approved by a moderator and there are tons of them getting put in every day. Plus there was an issue earlier this week where all the descriptions were gone so they stopped approving them for a bit to wait the glitch out. They are probably backed up because of it. They will get to them eventually.

Bast avatar
Bast -
Date Posted: 9/12/2007 5:19 AM ET

I was just curious - thanks!

Generic Profile avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 9/12/2007 10:00 AM ET
Approval for book can take sometimes over 2 weeks (when there are tons to go through), but they really try to stay on top of it and most go through in under 5 days.
KajunFriend avatar
Date Posted: 9/12/2007 11:14 AM ET

I'm glad they are doing this!

royaltech avatar
Member of the Month medalBook Cover Image Approver medalBook Data Coordinator medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 9/12/2007 3:41 PM ET

The data edit approvals are all caught up and we have been keeping up with them for the last couple weeks within a couple days. The queue was completely cleared as of today, 9/12/2007 1:02 AM ET

If you have edits from prior to today that have not shown up, then they have either been rejected or lost. We did have a site glitch the other day, where descriptions were not showing, and I believe a few edits were lost in that problem, but have had no one tell me so specifically, only one person that THOUGHT she lost some but wasn't positive.

If you have edits that are rejected, you are supposed to be receiving a PM telling you what the problem was. So, unless there is a site problem such as this past week, and you do data edits that never show up, please contact me directly so that I can be informed and remind the approvers of their proper procedures.

As Erin said, it can take up to two weeks when everybody is getting the bug to do them, but as a general rule, you should see them show within 2-7 days.

Thanks for posting your question, Sheri, as it gives me a chance to let people know that we are rolling just fine again on data edits, here is a topic that will give you a list of guidelines and tips for editing as well as some info on image uploads
Want to help with Data & Images? Find help here

And if you've been holding back taking it easy on the edits so that we can get caught up, go for it! We are ready for you! hahahaha

Bast avatar
Bast -
Date Posted: 9/12/2007 6:40 PM ET

Thank you to everyone who took the time to answer.

Susanaque avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/12/2007 7:13 PM ET

Have the book reviews always had to have moderator approval, or is it something new?

Dogdoc avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/12/2007 7:16 PM ET

Not reviews, just the descriptions that accompany the books. 

Generic Profile avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 9/12/2007 10:45 PM ET

Question for Sherry: I recently updated data for a couple of books - both adding description from the back cover and adding the cover image. Can I assume that if the book description info I entered has been added, but the photos haven't, that there was a problem with the photos and I need to resubmit them? I think my image files were too large the first time.

KarenLS avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/12/2007 11:43 PM ET

Stacey, did you submit the photos on the same screen that you added the book descriptions?  If so, it doesn't work from that screen. 

You must use the link at the bottom of each page to "upload book covers".  

Perhaps R&R could/should remove the option to do it from the edit book screen since it doesn't work.

And Sue, since I've been a member, all edits must be approved by a moderator.

Last Edited on: 9/12/07 11:44 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 9/12/2007 11:52 PM ET

Yes - I did upload the covers via the "edit book data" link. I'll do it the other way now. Thanks.