Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: November Historical Fiction Reads

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: November Historical Fiction Reads
Date Posted: 11/2/2020 2:32 PM ET

I started Justice Hall by Laurie R. King.

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 11/3/2020 1:46 PM ET

I finished Sarah's Quilt (the follow up to These is My Words) the other day. I enjoyed it.  It started off kind of slow for me, but it got interesting.  I started The World Is Not Enough by Zoe Oldenbourg, which has literally been on my shelf for years and years.  I needed one more book set in France for one of the categories of the current HF challenge.  That's what I love about the challenges!  Only about 50-something pages in, but I am enjoying it. 

Still listening to A Memory of Violets.  

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 11/4/2020 3:27 PM ET

Read All That I Am by Anna Funder.  Interesting book!  Quite liked this read.  The book was up for several awards and won two.

Last Edited on: 11/19/20 5:58 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/4/2020 9:42 PM ET

Just finished Murder Cuts the Mustard by Jessica Ellicott. Delightful historical cozy set in 1921 England. Great description of time period. Characters are very enjoyable.

peculiarway avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/12/2020 1:36 AM ET

I just finished The Alice Network by Kate Quinn, which jumped between 1915 and 1947. I've only read this and The Huntress by her, but both followed similar formats with chapters alternating focus on different characters in different time periods until they all came together in one. It's an interesting format that takes me awhile to get in to, but overall I think it's effective. 1915 chapters were stronger than the 1947 ones, and I really enjoyed learning more about female spy networks that were part of the Resistance during WWI.

Moving on to The Lost Letter by Jillian Cantor next. 

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 11/13/2020 3:27 PM ET

Aimee, I read The Alice Network a year or so ago.  I thought it was pretty good.  I sometimes struggle with alternating timelines.  

Still listening to A Memory of Violets and reading The World Is Not Enough.  I've been reading a lot of non-fiction lately (me and my love of self help type books *rolls eyes*).  

Did everyone see that Carolyn posted the 2021 HF Reading Challenge?  Yea!  Despite the sporadic nature of my posting here the last several years, I do the challenge every year.  It really helps me choose which books to read from the hundreds on my bookshelves, on my Kindle and in my Audible library.  

Last Edited on: 11/13/20 3:28 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 11/23/2020 2:18 PM ET

Hello!  Where is everyone?  I just finished A Memory of Violets by Hazel Gaynor, which I listened to on Audible.  Pretty good.  Trying to decide what to listen to next.  Still reading The World Is Not Enough.  Kind of slow going. I like it, but I've been going up to bed a little later (which is really the only time I read), and haven't been able to stay awake long enough to read very much.  LOL!  

peculiarway avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/26/2020 10:54 PM ET

Very quiet here these days, Shelley! I've been on an evening certificate course for work the past month that has really cut into my reading time, but that's done now so hopefully I'll get back on track.

I'm about a third of the way through The Flight Girls by Noelle Salazar and am enjoying it; I'm always happy reading anything dealing with women in aviation. Also just started Annelies by David R Gillham, which is a reimagining of Anne Frank's story where she survives the Holocaust and what her life may have looked like afterwards. Not really sure how I feel about the concept of speculative fiction in this instance, but it was recommended by a friend so I'll try it. 

yankeechick avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/29/2020 1:50 PM ET

I started The Game by kaurie R. King last night.  Trying to work my way through her Russell series....

CR

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 11/29/2020 3:10 PM ET

Lots of library books coming soon but I have read three CS Harris novels this month:  Where the Dead Lie, What Darkness Brings and When Maidens Mourn.  Enjoyed each and every one of these reads as Harris is an awesome author who does wonderful research which she elaborates upon in each novel.  That just about clears my bookshelves of novels by this author.  Think I only have one left to read.