1 cup - (4 ounces) sliced almonds
1 8- or 9-ounce - box no-boil (oven ready) lasgana noodles
1 29-ounce - can pure pumpkin (not pie filling)
1 cup - shredded Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon - minced garlic (I use the kind from a jar)
1 1/2 teaspoons - dried sage (or 4 1/2 teaspoons fresh minced sage)
1 1/2 teaspoons - salt
1/2 teaspoon - freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup - chicken or vegetable broth, divided
2 cups - (8 ounces) shredded mixed Italian cheeses
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Spread the almonds on a rimmed baking sheet (jelly-roll pan). Place the pan in the oven while it heats to toast the almonds for 10 to 12 minutes.
3. Put the noodles in a 9 x 13–inch baking dish and pour hot water over them to soak.
4. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, Parmesan, garlic, sage, salt, and pepper. Stir in 3/4 cup of the toasted almonds.
5. Remove the noodles from the baking dish and drain; discard the water. Pour 1/4 cup of the broth into the dish. Put in 1 layer of noodles, then half of the pumpkin mixture, smoothing it to make it even. Put in another layer of noodles and the remaining pumpkin. Top with the final layer of noodles, then sprinkle on the cheese and remaining 1/4 cup almonds. Pour the remaining 1/2 cup stock over the top.
6. Bake the lasagna for 25 minutes, or until it is browned and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
This is from my first cookbook, Hands-Off Cooking, published this past March 2007 by John Wiley & Sons. It's all low-supervision, high-flavor meals for busy people! Learn more at my Web site: www.handsoffcooking.com, or get the book! ; )