Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: printing the label too soon?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: printing the label too soon?
Date Posted: 5/11/2020 1:14 PM ET

I've has a few requests filled---I have 90%+ of my WL set to auto-request----with the label printed minutes later, before I have a chance to check the senders bookshelf and order more books. 

Assuredly I'm not complaining about getting WL books, but I could help with postage costs if there was a wee bit of lag time between the offer and the label printing giving me a chance to check the sender's bookshelf. I usually have bags of credits and do check when I can.

Last Edited on: 5/11/20 1:14 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
classicana avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 5/11/2020 6:44 PM ET

Yes, I'm another who always checks the sender's bookshelf.  I've only had a couple though, that printed the label too quickly for me to check ... Maybe they're just too excited about an order or need a credit badly.

khami6cr avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/12/2020 1:51 PM ET

That has happened to me too recently, Marya! Like you, I can't complain, because I'm always excited to get my WL book, but I also have a lot of credits and often order additional books for myself or my children. I also keep this in mind when printing my own labels and try to leave a little time in case someone wants to order from my shelf. But I'm glad I'm still getting books during all this--in fact, I seem to be getting more WL books, so I'm grateful of that!

Last Edited on: 5/12/20 1:52 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 5/12/2020 6:45 PM ET

Im getting two orders almost immediately as soon as I take my shelf off vaca hold. Been putting it on hold a week at a time, take it off for a couple days to let some WL book offers  come thru to me, then back on hold so I can reduce runs to the PO. No slowdown for me for offers or orders thru this pandemic. 

rebeccam avatar
Date Posted: 5/13/2020 7:14 AM ET

I'm one of the fast printers as I am usually ready to take the book to the post office to mail. So I love books on autorequest as I can post, print and drop it off at the bluebox. With the books that pass from one requestor to another I might not print right away until I figure when I will be headed to the post office again. I usually have the books wrapped and weighed before posting so an extra book request would just be mailed separately anyway.

mistyks avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/13/2020 7:38 AM ET

Well, I just had a book ordered from me via auto request. I did not print out the label right away and the requestor cancelled the order, which they have a right to do.  But, if I had printed the label right away, they could not have cancelled, correct?  So, I still have the book.  Another member has it on their WL, but that doesn't mean it will get requested...

rebeccam avatar
Date Posted: 5/13/2020 7:57 AM ET

Terry if the label was printed it could not be cancelled. We all have to do what works best for us. Some like to mail fast and others need to take their time. Some of us can go to the post office and mail at the counter where other of us work and a post office has limited hours so need to use some form of printable postage.

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/13/2020 8:47 AM ET

Still I was surprised to see a book my account had auto-requested had the label printed 3 minutes later. Ok, not complaining, always thrilled to get a WL book, just surprised.

rebeccam avatar
Date Posted: 5/13/2020 11:47 AM ET

I would have had it printed in 30 seconds most likely if the autorequest is who the book was going to, sometimes I don't get the autorequest until it passes through a bunch of others. I would have been out the door with it in 5 minutes as I post when I am ready to go to the post office. So I am thankful for all the members that know they want a book and autorequest it.

Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 5/13/2020 1:35 PM ET

I'm one of those who, when they are offered a WL book, will look at the sender's shelf to see if there are any books I might want so that the sender can save some on postage by mailing 2 or more books.

When someone offers or requests a book, I will accept right away, but in the case of sending the book, I don't print the label until I'm ready to send. Pat

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/14/2020 1:25 PM ET

Now it looks like a competition, just had my account auto-request a WL book with the label printed only 1 minute later.

hardtack avatar
Date Posted: 5/14/2020 10:13 PM ET

I think I read somewhere in the PBS Library docs that if a member requests a book that request doesn't go to the other member for one hour. This gives the requesting member time to change their mind.

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/15/2020 8:24 AM ET

I thought auto-request was instant.  No?

Doesn't matter, every WL book is welcome.

rebeccam avatar
Date Posted: 5/15/2020 9:40 AM ET

If you order a book from someone's shelf, there is the one hour buyer's remorse. But if a wish is granted that doesn't apply. They assume you want the books you have put on your wishlist.