Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Question about canceling a book

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Question about canceling a book
Date Posted: 8/5/2020 9:05 AM ET

I had posted a book that popped up on someone's wishlist and so it was automatically ordered, but when I contacted them to make sure they knew that it was a small book and not regular size, they were not interested, but they didn't go in and cancel the order.  If I cancel it, will it stay on my shelf in the FIFO spot or will I have to relist the book?

Theresa

daisymau avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/5/2020 10:48 AM ET

I may be wrong, but I think you will lose the FIFO spot. First, was the book posted with the ISBN that was on the person WL? If everything was correct and the person didn't have an RC, I would have just mailed the book to them.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalBox-O-Books medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/5/2020 10:57 AM ET

I can't tell now if it was the exact same information as it has been taken off the wishlist.  I wanted to make sure they realized that it was one of the really small square books that you find by the cash register at the bookstore and not a regular size book in case it was an older person who had trouble with their hands or something.  I sent her a message to cancel it so I guess I wait and see if she does.  If not, I can cancel it because my copy is the only copy in the system so I would still be first.

Theresa

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/5/2020 4:06 PM ET

Did you post the book by the ISBN? There are several points of information that have to match the PBS listing when you post a book.

1. ISBN
  2. Author
  3. TItle
  4. format (paperback, hardcover, audio, etc.)
  5. large-print (yes or no)

If you posted the book incorrectly (for example, posted it by title but the ISBN on your book does not match the PBS listing) you need to cancel the order, and also to remove it from your bookshelf. You can re-post it correctly, or post it without an ISBN (if the book has no ISBN, OR if all of the information points do not match).

If all the information points matched when you posted the book, you could have mailed it without any PM-ing back and forth. However, since you did do that PMing, and the book requestor does not want the book, AND it seems it was on her Wish List ... then you need to cancel the order (not her).

Generally, people who PM about books they are offering to a Wish List, will need to cancel the order if the transaction doesn't work out. Because if she cancels the order, she will be removed from her place in the Wish List line.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if ths book is confusing for some reason (sounds like it is a weird small size, is it also abridged?) ... maybe it just shouldn't be posted, if there is some question as to whether a person wishing for the book would actually want it if they saw it.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 8/5/2020 6:28 PM ET

It sounds like it's one of those small giftable books.  Maybe the requestor didnt know that.