Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: rc asks for contact thought that wasn't needed/required?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
freeverse071681 avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: rc asks for contact thought that wasn't needed/required?
Date Posted: 9/2/2019 5:58 PM ET

i got an order today for a book. the member's rc asks for contact before sending. i thought that wasn't needed/ required according to site rules? here is the rc

Before you send me a book:

- Please, please, please...� Non-smoking�home/environment only.� Even if it's an old trace scent from a�previous owner, it will still trigger a migraine for me.�

- No mold/mildew, torn pages, or�pages that are separating from the binding.� I prefer books in very good to excellent condition.� Ex-library copies okay so long as they're not too beat up.�

- If a book has been used as a text and has highlighting, notes, or underlining, please contact me before sending it.� Thank you!!

- Please write "Do Not Bend" on the packaging. �Our mail carrier has been known to try to fit rather large things in our mailbox, with limited success.

Thank you!� Thank you!� Thank you!

Would you send to this member  or politely decline the request any help regarding this is much appreciated. thank you.

soelo avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/2/2019 6:20 PM ET

The rules are different for textbooks since they are often have writing: https://www.paperbackswap.com/help/help_item.php?id=611

lionrose avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/2/2019 6:38 PM ET

I would probably send as we’re non-smoking and books on my shelves have been here long enough as they’ve lost any odors. I actually hate getting smokey or smelly books but I don’t have allergies so I don’t mind enough to set an RC. I do make sure to neutralize the smells long before I am ready to read the book. So though I get smelly books often enough I have been able to completely remove any odors I’ve encountered. I wouldn't even be able to tell which books came in with a smell. The book condition notes are standard to PBS so there should be no issues there. And as far as the underlining/highlighting etc.;  senders are supposed to PM on the ‘textbook exception’ anyway if the book has it. Easy enough to write  ‘do not bend’.  I’ve never had any problems sending to an RC as long as I could follow the request. But you should do what feels comfortable to you. Anyone with an RC can expect to get rejections here and there, it’s just part of how PBS works.

ETA: the textbook exception is a pain because you lose your place in line if your book is just FIFO and you have to repost to the end again; but like everything about PBS, it takes patience. In my experience, all books will eventually be ordered, even those with hundreds of copies in the system. I had a couple dozen such books when I first started here (novels used in classes so they had a random highlight or underline) but I eventually was able to send them all out.

Last Edited on: 9/2/19 6:44 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/3/2019 11:49 AM ET

Yes, if your book has writing, you are supposed to send a PM first according to the rules of PBS. So, she doesn't really need to ask in her RC, except that members probably don't know the rules and are sending her books with writing in them without PMing first.

Otherwise, if my book meets the conditions, I ALWAYS mail.

All the books I post are things I DO NOT WANT anymore. Glad to get rid of them.

rebeccam avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/3/2019 1:21 PM ET

The RC only says to contact if there are highlighting or notes and that is required with or without the RC.

If my book met the RC requirements I'd send. If my book did not meet the clearly stated conditions in this RC then I'd have to decline.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/3/2019 3:19 PM ET

This is sujective re odors so I would decline. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/3/2019 3:22 PM ET

This is sujective re odors so I would decline. I;m ok with non smoking home but I can not guarantee where a book may have been before me and smell is subjective. 

r801 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/3/2019 4:35 PM ET

I would probably decline. Most of us don't know where our books have been before and belonging to a used book club, you get used books and "good to excellent condition" and "not too beat up" are subjective to each person. My husband usually packs my books for me and I can't promise he'd remember to put "do not bend" on it....

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 9/3/2019 5:04 PM ET

If my book fit her criteria I would send..

If it has writing, I'd pm first..

I never turn down any request for an RC unless it has one about pets because I always have pets..currently I am owned by 2 dogs and ignored by a festy feline that rooms with us (LOL)