SAFE Author:Emma Thompson, Helen Simpson, Jeanette Winterson SAFE is a collection of intimate portrait photography, featuring a roster of internationally admired actresses from Meryl Streep, Uma Thurman, Emily Blunt, Kate Winslet to Monica Belucci and Gwyneth Paltrow. The project emerged from close collaboration between two-time Academy Award® winning actress and writer Emma Thompson and award winning pho... more »tographer Nick Haddow. Each of the 50 participating actress has been captured at ease in her own specially chosen “safe haven,? which range from the cleansing depths of pure water to a hidden perch high in a tree. SAFE also includes inspiring essays from Jackie Sharpe, Educational Psychologist, Kamila Shamsie, Novelist, Helen Simpson, Author, Jeanette Winterson, Writer, Broadcaster and Activist and others. The Foreword is by Emma Thompson herself.
SAFE began with Emma Thompson, who had a burning question: “How can we create safe places, not only for ourselves, not only for our loved ones, but also for those around the world who have been so damaged by merciless exploitation and peril that no safe place exists, even in their own bodies and minds?? On top of her award-winning work in film and theatre, Emma Thompson has long been fervently involved in promoting human rights. She has witnessed first-hand in Chile, Argentina, Ethiopia, Mozambique, Uganda and South Africa as well as in the United Kingdom the struggles faced by women in danger.
The global list of women – women whom Emma Thompson notes are each known for “the strength of their work and the power of their voices?— observed in ecstatic moments of complete personal safety includes a stunning array of international talent.
What's unique about this book:
• Collection of portraits unique and distinct: These original pictures have not been seen by the general public and will offer a very unique, personal perspective about world-known actresses.
• Inspiring essays from world-known writers: The book combines amazing pictures and powerful essays that will add depth and perspective to the issue of woman safety.
• Emma Thompson as ambassador and catalyst for change: Emma?s outstanding international reputation and network of connections could open many doors and give great promotional opportunities to the book and to the cause.
• Great cause and broad appeal: It speaks to all of us. Everyone plays a role in creating safe places for women, not only for themselves, not only for our loved ones, our sisters, our daughters?, our mothers, our grand-daughters, etc. but all women in the word, and particularly those who are greater potential targets to violence and abuse.
• Topic of growing interest in media: 27 million people have been forced into labor or sexual exploitation. There is tremendous and continued press coverage about this topic in the US and abroad with new stories about human or sex trafficking activities going on, even at our door steps where we expect it the least. The increasingly popular subject matter has also been ground for movie projects such as Taken and many documentaries about human slavery and sex trafficking in developed and emerging countries.« less