Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Search function driving me nuts

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
cyndij avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Subject: Search function driving me nuts
Date Posted: 4/26/2020 11:38 AM ET

What the title says! I am trying to search for specific search terms and exclude certain genres. Half the time it works, and the other half - instead of EXCLUDING the genres I pick, it INCLUDES them instead. At first I thought I was screwing it up myself, but I have watched it very closely and it's happened multiple times, it sure doesn't seem like user error.  Before I report it (which I doubt will do any good, but I'll try it), any thoughts?

Cathy avatar
Cathy A. (Cathy) - ,
Date Posted: 4/26/2020 2:29 PM ET

Can you give a specific example? It's hard to help with a generic question. 

cyndij avatar
Date Posted: 4/27/2020 1:44 PM ET

Sure. I'm using Firefox, just in case that makes any difference. Let's say I start looking at my home page. I type in "Knitting" in the search box in the upper right. My screen will refresh, but just goes back to where I was - no results, no search page, just the same screen. I'm getting used to this, so I type in "Knitting" once again. NOW I get the results page, 1000 hits. BTW the paragraph below still applies if I go straight to search using the menu button.

I only want posted books so under "Search Type", I choose that option. I do not want fiction books, so underneath the "Genre" box there are two other boxes. One says "Include Multiple Genres" and the next one says "Exclude Multiple Genres". I click "Exclude Multiple  Genres", and it brings up a new window with the various book genres books. I click Romance, Mystery, and Literature & General Fiction, that should exclude most of what I don't want. I can SEE those categories showing up in the greyed out screen behind the active window, so at this point, it looks correct.  Sometimes I click the Update Now button at the top and then the OK button at the bottom, sometimes I go straight to the OK button. It does not seem to make a difference because about half the time after I click "OK", the list of Excluded genres suddenly moves up into Included genres, and of course now the results I get are what I wasn't looking for.  If it does go wrong, I do it all over again, and it will be correct.

I just tried this again and it did it again.  I haven't tried with other browsers but I could. What do you think is it me?

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 4/27/2020 8:07 PM ET

Today I got offered a copy of a book I got two weeks ago, read, and have wrapped to mail out to next wisher tomorrow.  I know I deleted the other versions when I received the book and as I have regularly been going thru my WL it didn't appear the last time I looked. Now 3 more versions are appearing on my WL.  I deleted them again today but I just checked and they are back on my WL. 

kathyk avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/1/2020 9:52 AM ET

i've noticed you have to type in isbn, or author or title, twice before you get results.

starvinArtist avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/4/2020 1:48 AM ET

So this has happened to me a few tmes in the last few days.... I'll put an isbn# into the search box at the top of each page and instead of bringing me to the page  with that isbn, it takes me to whichever page I was on before... usually in one of the discussion threads.  Very weird.  It will usually take me to the proper page if I enter it a second time.

susank17 avatar
Date Posted: 5/6/2020 12:51 AM ET

Same problem here. Looks like I'm not alone. 

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Date Posted: 5/7/2020 7:14 PM ET

Weird, Adrienne, that just happened to me for first time today and you know I am on here at least 3 times a day checking in on the games Im playing and in discussion threads and raoks.  

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/7/2020 9:42 PM ET

For the past week whenever I first try to go to the book browser it has taken me to the home screen.  I did send in Feedback to PBS.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Date Posted: 5/19/2020 4:04 PM ET

Well, not sure if scheduled maintenance happened at noon today or not, but search function still can't find things even with exact title and author's full name.

classicana avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 5/19/2020 9:07 PM ET

I'm having to start every search from my main account page, by author name or series or whatever..., and then narrow (or expand) the search from the results page.   sigh

starvinArtist avatar
Date Posted: 5/20/2020 1:10 AM ET

I don't see anything different.  Was the maintenance performed??

cyndij avatar
Date Posted: 5/25/2020 10:42 AM ET

I haven't given up but the latest wrinkle is even better. Still trying to look for posted knitting books that are not fiction. On the occasions when my excluded genre filter actually works, as soon as I click through to the second page of search results, the excluded genres suddenly become included genres.  Also if I put any other criteria in the search filters, like publication date, everything goes out the window and the selection turns into a seemingly random list.

Going to put my account on hold again and attempt to use up credits, just in case things go south. I still believe that $20 is not a lot to pay each year for PBS, but a functioning search engine is something I expect.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Date Posted: 5/27/2020 11:50 AM ET

Yay!  The search function is working again and WL is linking to other versions of the title you are searching. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/3/2020 2:36 AM ET

My search function is not working and still no other versions on my WL.

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 6/4/2020 2:55 PM ET

Getting a second book has happened to me as well and very annoying it is.  The problem seems to be that they have started working with a new server and it is having some difficulty synchronizing with some of the functions in the site.  They are working to fix the problem.  Another issue is that when you request a book and have more than one copy on your wish list, the site does not automatically put that extra copy on hold, so unless you put the book on hold yourself, you stand to get a second copy.

In the meantime, I have taken to putting a note on each book from my wish list telling me I have another version on the wish list. Then I go back and put the hold on the next version myself.    Not an ideal solution, but it certainly, seems to work for me, anyway.

Sooner or later they will have all these issues fixed!  yes

Last Edited on: 6/4/20 2:56 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
cyndij avatar
Date Posted: 6/17/2020 10:36 AM ET

Yay! The main problem seems to be fixed. I did get a response from the PBS team some time ago asking for clarification, which I provided, and then nothing more. But I notice that I can now search using the "Excluded Genres" feature and it always (so far) shows up in the Excluded section. Plus I can click through to the next pages and not have the criteria suddenly migrate into the Included section. It's a win.

The quick search box at the top of every page still has glitches but that's easy to live with.