Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Christian Book Recommendations

Topic: September 2013 - Christian Book Discussion/Reviews

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
clariail avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Subject: September 2013 - Christian Book Discussion/Reviews
Date Posted: 9/3/2013 9:31 AM ET

Please post book reviews and/or comments on Christian books that you have read in January 2013 here

If you are participating in the 2013 Christian Reading Challenge:

Extra, Extra Bonus

Spread the Word:  Post a review of a book that you have read in the monthly review topic and you will be entered for a random drawing of a WL book to be chosen by me (valued under $15).  There will be a minimum of 4 drawings a year with maybe a couple of more thrown in.  You do not have to track them.  I will get the names from the thread.  A person may only win once.

FYI - I am exempt

kingsdaughter1611 avatar
Date Posted: 9/3/2013 10:41 PM ET

I just got finished reading The Promise by Dan Walsh and Gary Smalley. All I can say is WOW! This series has been soo emotional. I would urge every couple to read it, it is that good. The first book is about a couple, Jim and Marylin, who are losing their marriage. The wife walks out on the husband after like 30 years of marriage. And at first he is upset and doesn't know why she did it. But then he realizes what a jerk he was and works at winning her back. She isn't sure she can trust him after the way he has treated her but then they get back together and everything ends nicely. This second book is about their son, Tom and his wife Jean. Tom lost his job five months ago and hasn't told his wife. She is having her own trouble because she finds out she is pregnant and yet doesn't feel like she can talk to her husband. Both Marylin and Michele are worried because Marylin sees that Tom is too much like Jim used to be. There is so much more in here and it goes back and forth with Jim and Marylin who are on vacation, back to Tom and Jean, and even hits Michele and her new husband. Anyways, definitely 5 stars. This was an excellent book and I would give it to anybody, christian or not. 

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 9/3/2013 11:34 PM ET

I finished The Christological Controversy today.  How Jesus was spirit made flesh was not as easily accepted as it is today. This collection contains selections from several theologians of the early church, who explain God made flesh.  Highly recommended!  Full review can be found here.

Last Edited on: 9/7/13 11:07 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
jacci-jerri avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/4/2013 1:39 AM ET

I just finished reading Real Freedom, The Journey, The Stories by Beth Moore.  It is a condensed version of Breaking Free.  It was page after page of nuggets of wisdom and illustrations helping the reader to see what it truly means to find freedom in Christ and to know and believe Him, glorify Him, experience His peace, and enjoy His presence.  One quote has really stayed with me, "I found Him faithful yesterday. He will not be unfaithful today".  This was in a chapter on trust and even if you think you have no issues in this area you will be surprised what you can learn.  I recommend it for new believers and anyone else. 

Bama-Booklover avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/19/2013 7:16 AM ET

My first CF book for September:  Recipe for Murder by Lisa Harris.   This is the first one of her Cozy Crumb Mystery series.   LOVED this book;  My introduction to a christian fiction cozy!  I didnt know they existed!  I learned to love cozy mysteries after joining PBS and now have discovered a CF series!  Hope there are more out there!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 9/20/2013 4:25 PM ET

Not exactly a Christian fiction, per se, but it is based on the Bible.  I finished reading The Devil's Apocrypha yesterday.  While I wouldn't recommend it for everybody due to its controversial nature, I do feel it is a good read for those who want to get a different perspective on the stories.  A lot of the stories in the Bible are more of a glossing, but this book brings many of the violent events more detailed.  I found the retellings of Adam and Eve and the hardened heart of Pharoah especially moving.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 9/26/2013 9:09 AM ET

I'm finishing the second book of the Cozy Crumb mysteries:  A Baker's Fatal Dozen by Lisa Harris   This is the first CF cozies I've read and I love them!   A cozy murder mystery with romance written with faith!  Can't wait to get the next in the series.....

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/8/2013 11:01 AM ET

I recently finished Selected Writings: Hildegard of Bingen .  I liked this collection of her writings because it had a few selections that aren't normally chosen by editors or translators.  My full review is located here.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 10/16/2013 8:51 PM ET

Has Cynthia been around anywhere?  Just wondering if she's okay, this is still the Sept review thread and Oct is over half over........not like Cynthia not to have the new month up at least within the first few days of the month