Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: September Historical Fiction reads

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: September Historical Fiction reads
Date Posted: 9/4/2019 3:41 PM ET

What are reading for HF in September

I just finished Louise's Dilemma by Sarah R Shaber. Good WWII historical mystery

Just started  A Second Chance by Jodi Taylor.  time travel HF. Good series

ssgilby avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 9/5/2019 12:19 PM ET

I'm reading The Raven, which I'm not really wild about.  Kind of slogging my way through it because I want to see how it turns out, however, I'm finding it kind of difficult to read. It jumps around a lot and I just feel like in a lot of places, I'm going, 'Huh?"  Nearing the end fortunately.

I haven't started a new audio book lately.  Thinking I'll do a classic.  Either Anna Karenina or Wuthering Heights.

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 9/12/2019 2:49 PM ET

I've begun a good old warhorse of a book set in Edwardian England, Theirs was the Kingdom by R. F. Delderfield.  It follows his first book about the Swann family, God is an Englishman.  I'll be at this one a while lol!

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/15/2019 7:05 AM ET

I am reading The Spies of Shilling Lane by Jennifer Ryan. Set in 1941 London. Very good deals with searching and spying in London at that time. I am enjoying it.

Alice

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 9/22/2019 7:23 AM ET

I am reading The Satapur Moonstone (A Mystery of 1920s Bombay) :: Sujata Massey   Book one was excellent this is book two set in 1922 India. Great discussion of social issues of the time

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 9/24/2019 3:18 PM ET

Am starting The Soldiers Wife by Margaret Leroy.