Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Homeschoolers' Corner Homeschoolers' Corner

Topic: Teaching intellegent design rather than evolution? Get the scientific fact

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Teaching intellegent design rather than evolution? Get the scientific fact
Date Posted: 11/17/2007 6:57 PM ET

Are you a Christian who wants to show their children what  the other scientists say about intellegent design?

Evolution or Creation-Life, How Did It Get Here Rating: item_rating("78207","6.66667","9","1");

You have posted this book Mail it to a friend  

• Cheryl R.

Book Description:

Millions believe evolution is a fact and millions do not. This book considers such questions as What does Genesis really say? Could life have originated by chance? Why do so many accept evolution? Using clear logic and the observations of reputable scientists, this book presents an examination of how life got here and what this can mean for you.    
Melita avatar
Date Posted: 11/17/2007 7:04 PM ET

Last Edited on: 11/17/07 7:10 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/21/2007 10:49 AM ET

I believe in evolution but I also find as much value in the creation myths.  (I'm pagan and like the Bible story as well as stories from other cultures.)  It is actually intelligent design that I don't quite get.  I understand Adam and Eve and Darwin, but not really inellgent design, but that's just me.

I used a lot of the Christian Bob Jones books when my son was smaller, which is very against evolution but I thought it had very good biology in it for kids.  IF I'd just taught evolution, I don't think we'd had half the talks on values and integrity and 'the meaning of life' that the books inspired.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 11/21/2007 1:49 PM ET

Dear Romanshopper,

you said in your post you don't understand the argument for intelligent design.  As I've heard it articulated, it is based on the premise that when examined, our world is far too complex (especially on a molecular level) to have just happened.  The repeating patterns we find through the sciences are evidence that there is a design rather than a randomness to the world around us and it was intelligently designed.

patticom avatar
patticom - ,
Date Posted: 12/16/2007 3:40 AM ET

Yes, Sonja said it well.  The primary difference between Creation and "intelligent design" is that the latter leaves room for those who refuse to believe in God but still can't accept the evolution myth.  There are literally mountains (and valleys!) of evidence that contradict the ideas of evolution and an old Earth, but for someone who refuses to acknowledge an Almighty Creator or simply the God of the Christian Bible/Jewish Torah, they need alternative explanations.  :)  There are hundreds, some faith/relgion based and some not (most notably alien intervention).  I daresay the Cylons believe in intelligent design.  ;)  heehee