Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: Thoughts on Memoirs...

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Sherry avatar
Standard Member medalTour Guide medal
Date Posted: 5/8/2020 7:28 PM ET

Here's some I've read recently and would recommend:

Truevine Two Brothers a Kidnapping and a Mother's Quest A True Story of the Jim Crow South
Author: Beth Macy

For Laci A Mother's Story of Love Loss and Justice
Author: Sharon Rocha

A Blistered Kind of Love One Couple's Trial by Trail - Barbara Savage Award Winner
Author: Angela BallardDuffy Ballard

Grieving A Love Story
Author: Ruth Coughlin

WITSEC Inside the Federal Witness Protection Program
Author: Pete EarleyGerald Shur

The Day The Musick Died A Mother-Daughter Addiction Journey of Suffering Loss and a Ray of Hope
Author: Cheryl Hughes Musick

The Prince of Frogtown
Author: Rick Bragg

The Kids Are All Right A Memoir
Author: Diana WelchLiz WelchAmanda WelchDan Welch

Turning the Tables From Housewife to Inmate and Back Again
Author: Teresa GiudiceK.C. Baker

A Dog Named Boo How One Dog and One Woman Rescued Each Other -- and the Lives They Transformed Along the Way
Author: Lisa J. Edwards

I Will Find You A Reporter Investigates the Life of the Man Who Raped Her
Author: Joanna Connors

Hope A Memoir of Survival in Cleveland
Author: Amanda BerryGina DeJesusMary JordanKevin Sullivan

The Drive Searching for Lost Memories on the Pan-American Highway
Author: Teresa Bruce

Home Is Burning A Memoir
Author: Dan Marshall

Rescue Road One Man Thirty Thousand Dogs and a Million Miles on the Last Hope Highway
Author: Peter Zheutlin

(my friends list is on auto-accept, so if you are a memoir reader, 'friend me' so I'll have some bookshelves to check out)

Last Edited on: 5/8/20 7:52 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
kathyk avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/8/2020 7:58 PM ET

Some of my favorites are:

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt

Night by Elie Wiesel

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Wells

Dry: A Memoir by r Augusten Burroughs

Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance

Rising Out of Hatred: The Awakening of a Former White Nationalist by Eli Saslo

Under the Overpass : A Journey of Faith on the Streets of America by Mike Yankoski

A Lucky Child: A Memoir of Surviving Auschwitz as a Young Boy by Thomas Buergentha

This Way For The Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen by  Tadeusz Borowski

Growing Up in Coal Country by Susan Campbell Bartoletti

Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction by David Sheff

Survival In Auschwitz by Primo Levi

Dirty Secret: A Daughter Comes Clean About Her Mother's Compulsive Hoarding by Jessie.Sholl

Without a Net : Middle Class and Homeless (with Kids) in America by Michelle Kennedy

White American Youth: My Descent into America's Most Violent Hate Movement and How I Got Out by Christian Picciolini  

w

Last Edited on: 6/2/20 4:46 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
Bonnie avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/9/2020 6:59 AM ET

So glad to see activity here again.

Here is one that I read at the end of last year..twice!  There is a sale on the audio, but I listened to a sample and didn't care for the narrator--the author I think.  This is the review I wrote for PBS:

The Honey Bus by Meridith May:

As a beekeeper I say, this is the best memoir of beekeeping I've yet to read. As an avid memoir-reader, I say this is the best memoir I've ever read. Interesting from first page to last, it not only covers beekeeping, but child-keeping, soul-saving, and without a whit of whining. Something so unusual in a memoir. Told through the eyes of the child of a schizophrenic, it has humor and love, brings to mind the writing of Haven Kimmel and her Zippy books. Whether you are interested in honey bees or not, you should really enjoy this read. Everyone I've recommended it to has loved it.

Sherry avatar
Date Posted: 5/9/2020 8:57 PM ET

Good to know.....I have it on my WL

Bonnie avatar
Date Posted: 5/9/2020 9:33 PM ET

I saw it there!  wink

Sherry avatar
Date Posted: 5/11/2020 3:21 PM ET

I just finished  Wife of the Chef   Author: Courtney Febbroriello and I really enjoyed it.  I know if she ever writes anything else, I would definitely read it.

Bonnie avatar
Subject: Educated
Date Posted: 6/2/2020 12:18 PM ET

Well, there have been many I've loved, many I've not cared for, but until now, There've been only two memoirs I despised and could not believe I wasted my time finishing.

The first was Running with Scissors which I've already talked about here, and Fierce, the sequel to Change Me into Zeus's Daughter by Barbara Robinette Moss.  Today I finished the very-well narrated "Educated" by Tara Westover, and it's been years since I've disliked a family--INCLUDING THE AUTHOR--so deeply.  To give my reasons would put me in a horribly petty and unkind light, so I won't say much more.  This is NOT The Glass Castle, these are just sick, twisted people who might like to blame God for their meanness rather than their own perverted selves. 

She makes note in the beginning, that this book is not about Mormons, and religion, and she truly does stick to that by showing a heck of a lot of good people who are mormons.  For that, I say, brava.

Ok, one of the main reasons I disliked this so much is that whenever offered help, she refused it.  Her reasons?  Because that's the way it is.  God wants it that way because Daddy said so, so Mommy could ignore Brother breaking her wrist, twisting her limbs, convincing an 11-year-old who didn't really know the definition of the word, that she was a whore...ad in finitum.

Sherry avatar
Date Posted: 6/8/2020 3:55 PM ET

If you're one of the 92 people wishing for:  Know My Name A Memoir Author: Chanel Miller

you might want to add this to your wishlist also:  Untitled A Memoir  Author: Chanel Miller

I stumbled on it browsing my Daily Digest and grabbed it.  The only difference I see on Amazon is the untitled one I got was released a week earlier and is a First Edition smiley

Sherry avatar
Date Posted: 8/1/2020 6:04 PM ET

Just finished another (really good) memoir:

Southern Discomfort A Memoir  Author: Tena Clark

For readers of beloved memoirs like Educated and The Glass Castle, a riveting and profoundly moving memoir set in rural Mississippi during the Civil Rights era about a white girl coming of age in a repressive society and the woman who gave her the strength to forge her own path - the black nanny who cared for her. — Tena Clark was born in 1953 in a tiny Mississippi town close to the Alabama border, where the legacy of slavery and racial injustice still permeated every aspect of life. On the outside, Tena?s childhood looked like a fairytale. Her father was one of the richest men in the state; her mother was a regal beauty. The family lived on a sprawling farm and had the only swimming pool in town; Tena was given her first car - a royal blue Camaro at twelve.

But behind closed doors, Tena's life was deeply lonely, and chaotic. By the time she was three, her parents marriage had dissolved into a swamp of alcohol, rampant infidelity, and guns. Adding to the turmoil, Tena understood from a very young age that she was different from her three older sisters, all of whom had been beauty queens and majorettes. Tena knew she didn't want to be a majorette - she wanted to marry one.

On Tena's tenth birthday, her mother, emboldened by alcoholism and enraged by her husband's incessant cheating, walked out for good, instantly becoming an outcast in society. Tena was left in the care of her black nanny, Virgie, who became Tena's surrogate mother and confidante - even though she was raising nine of her own children and was not allowed to eat from the family's plates or use their bathroom. It was Virgie's acceptance and unconditional love that gave Tena the courage to stand up to her domineering father, the faith to believe in her mother's love, and the strength to be her true self.

Combining the spirit of poignant coming-of-age memoirs such as The Glass Castle and vivid, evocative Southern fiction like Fried Green Tomatoes, Southern Discomfort is about the people and places that shape who we are - and is destined to become a new classic

Bonnie avatar
Date Posted: 8/1/2020 8:05 PM ET

Well, Sherry, if this is anything like Educated, I'll pass.  But I did like The Glass Castle, and coincidentally, just rewatched The Help last night.  I loooooved Fried Green Tomatoes.  So, ok, talked myself into putting this on my WL.

Sherry avatar
Date Posted: 8/1/2020 9:33 PM ET

Educated was just ok, but I thought Southern Discomfort was much better.  I'm findng lots of memoirs just from this post, and looking at other members wishlists.  I usually find if I have 1 on someones wishlist to post, I have another 2 or 3 on my TBR, so I know what to read next and can send out multiple books to 1 person smiley

Just started reading Forensic Detective How I Cracked the World's Toughest Cases and looks like it's going to be a pretty good book.

Last Edited on: 8/2/20 3:56 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
Sherry avatar
Date Posted: 8/27/2020 1:02 PM ET

Reading This Family of Mine What It Was Like Growing Up Gotti  Author: Victoria Gotti and it's a pretty good book.  Hard to put down type of book...

Anyone else read any good memiors lately?  Could always use some more recommendations smiley

Bonnie avatar
Date Posted: 8/27/2020 1:13 PM ET

I am reading White Dresses and absolutely loving it.  Will be back with thoughts soon.

Sherry avatar
Date Posted: 8/27/2020 1:21 PM ET

White Dresses looks really good.  Good thing my wishlist was 'only' at 499 so I had room to add it.

Bonnie avatar
Date Posted: 8/27/2020 2:16 PM ET

Wow, that was close!  My copy is from the library or I'd post it to you.

dkw1975 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/27/2020 6:53 PM ET

Wow, I haven't popped on this thread in what feels like a hundred years. It was quiet for so long.  Happy to see some activity and some familiar names!

@Bonnie, I have to agree on Scissors.  I didn't even finish it.  And, I rarely leave a book unfinished.  I have allowed that more in the last few years, but usually it feels like defeat.  But, I couldn't deal with that one.  I could not understand the hype.

I've just started an audio of Educated.  I already get a sense of some of the things that likely drove you nuts.  I'm struggling to find redeeming qualities in the parents, though I've wondered about what part mental illness might have played for dad.  Not an excuse, but as an explanation.  At this point in the story, I am a little frustrated at the author not accepting help, but she is also still quite young.     I will finish this one (most likely) as it is a book club selection.  

I don't recall the most recent memoir I read myself.  But, I've got "shelter in place" brain. Everything I've done and read since March is running together.  I've recently just allowed myself to read a lot of mysteries, brain candy, because I've needed the escape!

Looking forward to some activity here!!

Bonnie avatar
Date Posted: 8/27/2020 7:54 PM ET

Dena!!!  So very good to see you.  I sure wish more of the old timers would pop back in.

Educated...I agree MAYBE on the mental illness, to a point.  But it was Tara who bothered me the most.  Young, yes, but she gets older, and not wiser.  And just how can a mother with education, business sense, and success, be so--so--so--so beside and with that lunatic of a man is all I can think to say.

dkw1975 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/27/2020 11:48 PM ET

Bonnie,

Yes, the mother is a big problem for me!

rjvagabond avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/23/2020 5:24 PM ET

Like Dena and others, haven't been in this forum for ages.  Nice to see some activity here.

I read Educated last year as one of my reading challenges and thought it was interesting but, for me, not all the pieces seemed to fit.  Seemed like there were steps in her progression from borderline illiteracy to King's College missing.  Still, an incredible story.  

My year this year has been rather thin in the memoir genre.  The ones that standout are:

c/o Postmaster by Corporal Thomas St. George.  Picked up on a whim from my FOL shelf, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  Published in 1943, it recounts the experiences of a young man leaving basic training at the beginning of WWII and heading off to war not knowing where he's going to end up.  Which turns out to be Australia.  He recounts his first months of war service in Australia and adapting to the Aussie life.  Laugh out loud funny and a book even those serving in the military today could relate to.  

Mitch, Please!: How Mitch McConnell Sold Out Kentucky by Matt Jones.  Part quasi-political memoir and part love letter to Kentucky by favorite son and sports radio host Matt Jones.  Again, a book I took on for a reading challenge and it turned out to be so much more enjoyable than I expected.  Not only is this book a great insight into the political selection process, and delightful peek at the people of Kentucky, it is really funny.  I did it as an audiobook, which I recommend as the co-author Chris Tomlin provides comic footnotes throughout.  

All Bets Are Off: My journey of losing 200 pounds, a showdown with diabetes, and falling in love with running by Betsy Hartley.  Another picked-up-on-a-whim selection this is a great recounting of the author's journey from 399 lbs to becoming an avid long distance competitive runner.  This isn't about the diet but about battling the demons in her head to change her lifestyle and battle a body that wanted to quit when she wanted to go on.  

Sherry avatar
Date Posted: 10/12/2020 3:20 PM ET

Somebody I Used to Know A Memoir  Author: Wendy Mitchell

Just got this book from the library, and it's breaking my heart. But with that said, I can't put it down and will probably finish it in one day.  It's a really good book, but so sad to read what the author is going through.

Bonnie avatar
Date Posted: 10/12/2020 7:36 PM ET

As Mitchell learned to embrace her new life, she began to see her condition as a gift, a chance to experience the world with fresh eyes and to find her own way to make a difference.

I don't know, Sherry, a gift?  Early-onset dementia?  This is something I fear more than a lot of things.  Of course, wouldn't be so early at this stage of my life!

I will check my library for this and get back to you. 

kathyk avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/19/2020 9:50 AM ET

Blood, A Memoir, by Alison Moorer. Very good about the country singer (and her country singer sister)  struggle with their violent father and the aftermath of their mother and fatherss murder/suicide. 

Sherry avatar
Date Posted: 12/14/2020 9:51 AM ET

It's been awhile since anyone posted here.  I just posted my top 5 reads for 2020 on another thread, and since 4 of the 5 were memoirs I thought I'd post them here:

The Bridesmaid's Daughter From Grace Kelly's Wedding to a Women's Shelter - Searching for the Truth About My Mother  Author: Nyna GilesEve Claxton

A Dog for All Seasons A Memoir  Author: Patti Sherlock

The Barefoot Bandit The True Tale of Colton Harris-Moore New American Outlaw  Author: Bob Friel

Craig and Fred A Marine A Stray Dog and How They Rescued Each Other  Author: Craig Grossi

Bonnie avatar
Date Posted: 12/14/2020 10:46 AM ET

Thanks, Sherry.  The Bridesmaid looks really interesting.

bears1 avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/31/2020 1:17 PM ET

don't bother with Anna Kendricks Scrappy Little Nobody.   I read it because she is from Maine and I do think she has a great  voice and is a fair actress but as a person, I think she is shallow and self centered.  It was a disappointment. 

Page: