Warriors Author:Gardner Dozois (Editor), George R. R. Martin (Editor) Anthology collection of 20 never-before-published tales of war and warriors features some of today's most popular writers of fantasy. — There are warriors of every shape, size, and color in these pages, warriors from every epoch of human history, from yesterday and today and tomorrow, and from worlds that never were. Some of the stories will ... more »make you sad, some will make you laugh, and many will keep you on the edge of your seat.
Included are a long novella from the world of Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin, a new tale of Lord John by Diana Gabaldon, and an epic of humanity at bay by David Weber.
* "The King of Norway" by Cecelia Holland
* "Forever Bound" by Joe Haldeman
* "The Triumph" by Robin Hobb
* "Clean Slate" by Lawrence Block
* "And Ministers of Grace" by Tad Williams
* "Soldierin'" by Joe R. Lansdale
* "Dirae" by Peter S. Beagle
* "The Custom of the Army" by Diana Gabaldon
* "Seven Years from Home" by Naomi Novik
* "The Eagle and the Rabbit" by Steven Saylor
* "The Pit" by James Rollins
* "Out of the Dark" by David Weber
* "The Girls from Avenger" by Carrie Vaughn
* "Ancient Ways" by S. M. Stirling
* "Ninieslando" by Howard Waldrop
* "Recidivist" by Gardner Dozois
* "My Name is Legion" by David Morrell
* "Defenders of the Frontier" by Robert Silverberg
* "The Scroll" by David Ball
* "The Mystery Knight" by George R. R. Martin
"Warriors" original 20 stories also published in 3 paperback volumes.« less
The Market's bargain prices are even better for Paperbackswap club members!
Retail Price:$27.99 Buy New (Hardcover): $19.39 (save 30%) or Become a PBS member and pay $15.49+1 PBS book credit (save 44%)
I read about 500 of the 736 pages of this book. I tried all the stories and by the second page knew whether I was going to continue or not. A few had me thinking WTH! But most were pretty good and enjoyable though some were bloody as hell....it is about warriors after all. I particularly liked the Lord John Grey story by Diana Gabaldon but then, I've always liked her writing and her heroes - straight or gay.
If you enjoy war stories whether they be ancient Romans, Vikings or space invaders, there will be something for you in this collection. Those of you who aren't enamored of the warrior mentality, pass this one by.