Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: What would you do re: Advanced Readers Copy

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
annakanga avatar
Limited Member medalMember of the Month medal
Subject: What would you do re: Advanced Readers Copy
Date Posted: 10/9/2007 5:21 PM ET

Okay, so I got a book in the mail today that I requested.  The problem is, it's an ARC.  The member has her shelf on hold so I can't see how long she's been a member.  I'd be inclined to cut her a break if she's new as the various rules take time to get used to, and this book does have an ISBN even though it's an ARC...so I could see how a new member may not know about the ARC rule.  So, would you mark it received with a problem?  I hate to do that, seeing as how I did get the book I wanted, in good condition.  Or, would you mark it received and then just send a PM to the member?

Thanks.

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/9/2007 5:24 PM ET

Id mark it recieved with a problem so that R&R can set up a pattern for this person if one exsist. Just because you mark it RWAP doesnt mean you have to ask for a credit back. You could just say hey this was unpostable maybe you could check a bit more thouroghly next time. Or something less snarky sounding than that.

bookreadera avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/9/2007 5:36 PM ET

I usually start out those PMs with something like :

"Thanks for sending the book.  I don't know if you're aware but the book you sent was an ARC and per PBSwap rules in the Help Center (insert cut & paste from Help Center here).  I am/am not asking for the return of my credit but I wanted you to be aware that this could cause a problem for you in the future...blah, blah."

2 things- always report it as rcd with a problem 'wrong book.'  It may seem mean, but this is the only way R&R can track people who do this.  If it was an honest mistake, then it won't happen again and they won't get in trouble.  If it's a pattern of discounting the rules, then the guys need to know.  Second, taking the time to cut&paste the appropriate section of the Help Center into the PM really seems to help.  People seem less inclined to argue when they see the rule in question right in front of them.

annakanga avatar
Limited Member medalMember of the Month medal
Date Posted: 10/9/2007 5:47 PM ET

Thanks for the info, I'll do what you two advised.

bookaddicted avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 10/9/2007 6:49 PM ET

Always report receiving an ARC (or any other problem). It is the only way R&R can track and make a history of a swapper who does not consistently follow the rules.

royaltech avatar
Member of the Month medalBook Cover Image Approver medalBook Data Coordinator medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 10/9/2007 8:18 PM ET

Also, you can see to some degree how long they've been a member by looking at the dates posted of their books. I think their books still show even on hold, don't they?

ETA: Anybody think it's odd that this is a bunch of TGs conversing?

Last Edited on: 10/9/07 8:19 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
bookaddicted avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 10/9/2007 8:38 PM ET

LOL, Sherry... I didn't even notice that.  

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/9/2007 11:22 PM ET

He he I didnt either.