Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: What exactly is a cleaved spine?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
fibrogal avatar
Date Posted: 10/11/2007 2:25 PM ET

Mary, that is so strange ! !   

I have never tried this on a paperback book where the glue did not melt.  I have thought that perhaps books from the earlier part of the 20th century might not be hot-melt glue; I have never tried this method on one of them.  This method has never failed me!  The local library told me that they use this method to repair their books, too.

Last Edited on: 10/11/07 2:25 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
L avatar
L. G. (L)
Date Posted: 10/11/2007 6:18 PM ET

My rule of thumb is, if in doubt, don't post it.  Credit price is $3.45 and that's a lot of cash to pay for a borderline book.  Many of us can get HC books for $1.00 or less - so receiving a borderline book  is a bit hard to swallow.

Mary, I have suggested they post examples as well - simply as guidelines.  It would help people make these sorts of decisions.

DaniLynn avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/11/2007 6:53 PM ET

I know that times it's seems like I'm on my own personal mission to rid PBS of all cleaved spines, but I haven't reported books that look like this as a problem.  The main reason is that there's not usually any actual separation from the spine & almost no risk of the pages falling out any time soon. The stitching seems to make the book less likely to fall apart.  I think that the whole problem with cleaved spines is the fact that the pages will soon start coming loose. 

eta:  However, even though I don't report a problem with these books, I don't repost them, because the HC says that we should only post books that we would want to receive ourselves & I really don't 'want' to get a book like that.

Last Edited on: 10/11/07 6:54 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Page: