Facebook
Skip to main content
PBS logo

Want fewer ads?

Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: What we are reading November 18-24

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/24/2007 1:41 PM ET

Bronwyn:  I just happened to find the 1st 3 at my local UBS.  I saw them and new they would most likely be WL here so I grabbed them. They looked good. I like aliens and a bit of magic but not really vampires & wearwolves.  The 4th book comes out in a couple weeks. I already put it on WL. It's Scott's story.  I'm about 60 pages into Parallel Heat.  So far it's really good.  I think you need to read them in order.  The H of this one was deeply in love with the H of the 1st book.  They were betrothed as children but he chose someone else.  An ancestor of theirs came to earth, was fooling around with time travel and created a couple alternate universes.   What is Books a million?

mamadoodle avatar
Date Posted: 11/24/2007 3:26 PM ET

Books A Million is a chain, like Barnes & Noble.

Sherri

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/24/2007 3:30 PM ET

Mary, those sound really good--I just added them to my RL for now.

Read Sierra's Homecoming, by Linda Lael Miller last night.  It's two parallel stories--one contemporary, one set in 1919.  It was pretty good, although it might have been nice to be a little bit longer/fleshed out.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/24/2007 3:48 PM ET

Mary,

BAM (Books A Million) is the online bookstore that I order from the most.  They have actual physical bookstores like Borders, etc. but I've never been to one.  None around here.  But I tried their online store on the recommendation of a friend and I like it.  You can order books for retail price or buy a membership for $10 a year and get the club discounts on books.  They range from 10% on up.  I ordered New Moon and Eclipse which are thick hardcovers for 48% off.  They have a good selection and they often have books available two or three weeks before you can buy them in bookstores.  That's how I got A Gentle Rain weeks early.  Also, you can order some hard to find books like erotica titles on a Print On Demand basis if they don't have it in stock.  I also like that if you spend $25 your shipping is free.  I just placed an order because I had a coupon for the Thanksgiving weekend.  If you spent $50 you got $10 off on top of the discounts.  So I got New Moon, Eclipse, Deidre Knight's Parallel Desire, Linnea Sinclair's Down Home Zombie Blues, Marianne Stillings' Satisfaction, Anna Campbell"s Untouched, Sheila Roberts' On Strike For Christmas (a trade size), and a print on demand erotica, Surrender by Kimberly Zant for $58.94 including tax. I was happy with that.  If anyone knows of an even better place to order new books I'd like to know about it though!!

It's hard for me to get out unless my husband helps me, so I really like having the books come in the mail.  There is NO UBS around here anymore so I buy more new books.  PBS is my UBS.

edited for corrections

Last Edited on: 11/24/07 6:03 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
doulachic avatar
Date Posted: 11/24/2007 4:00 PM ET

Last Edited on: 1/21/09 12:17 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
mamadoodle avatar
Date Posted: 11/24/2007 7:31 PM ET

Mary, if you order from Barnes & Noble - www.bn.com - they periodically send you coupons in your email.  I got one yesterday for 15% off any purchase.  They also let you know about upcoming releases by authors you have purchased before.

Sherri

CWGal avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 11/24/2007 8:43 PM ET

I joined the Borders reward club (free) and every week I get emails with coupons in them--like $1 off any and all books on a particular list (and since I put romance as my preference, it's a list of romance books), 20% off a item or 30-40% off DVD box sets, etc. I've had a buy 4 get a 5th book free coupon before. It's a pretty good deal except I don't think I can use the coupons online.

mamadoodle avatar
Date Posted: 11/24/2007 9:02 PM ET

Today I read A Love Beyond Words by Sherryl Woods and I really enjoyed it. Yeah - finally! LOL  The heroine is deaf but is not at all portrayed as a helpless or disabled person.  The hero is a Latino firefighter who rescues her when a tornado hits her part of town and traps her in her home.  The romance was really believable and not contrived.

Sherri

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/24/2007 9:15 PM ET

Oh Sherri, I've read A Love Beyond Words and I really liked it too.

I finished Squeeze Play and liked it a lot and am now starting Curveball.

JENinVT avatar
Date Posted: 11/24/2007 9:30 PM ET

Sherri, A Love Beyond Words  sounds good. I have a series in my TBR pile by her but I'm still waiting for the 1st one to come in the mail.

I read Last Chance Cafe by Linda Lael Miller. It's kind of a sequel to The Women of Primrose Creek.  It's about Hallie who's on the run with her twin daughters. Her truck breaks down in Primrose Creek and members of the town help her without asking too many questions. I enjoyed it.

When I buy books,which isn't very often anymore, I usually order from Barnes & Noble.com. I had the membership so I'd get an extra 10% off plus there was free shipping on $25 or more orders and usually the books were already marked down. Plus like Sherri said they'd send coupons often.  I'm hoping for B&N gift cards for Christmas!

Anyone read any books by Dee Davis? A member I mailed a Marliss Melton book too reccomended her saying her books were similar to M.M.'s.. Opinions??

Last Edited on: 11/24/07 9:33 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
mamadoodle avatar
Date Posted: 11/25/2007 9:06 AM ET

Dee Davis is similar Jennifer but to me no comparison in quality.  Marliss Melton is soooo much better.

Sherri

mblisa avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/25/2007 1:55 PM ET

Im starting to read a book called -- The Boss's Bride by Emma Richmond.

Im not too familiar with her books, but I thought I would give it a try!

Melissa

mitabird avatar
Date Posted: 11/25/2007 2:02 PM ET

There were the romances that I read this week:

1. The Hunters: Rafe and Sheila - Shiloh Walker
  2. The Boy Next Door - Nicole Austin
  3. Fantasy Fix - Christine Warren
  4. Laithe's Pride - Jade Buchanan
mamadoodle avatar
Date Posted: 11/25/2007 2:40 PM ET

I just finished The McKettrick Way by Linda Lael Miller and it was soooo good!  The first book in a long time to make me cry. If you have read any of the McKettrick series before, this is Meg and Brad's story.

Now I think I'm going to read something historical!

Sherri

doulachic avatar
Date Posted: 11/25/2007 5:39 PM ET

Last Edited on: 1/21/09 12:23 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/25/2007 9:17 PM ET

Bronwyn: I have Parallel Desire and Satisfaction on my WL (hint, hint). 

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/25/2007 9:40 PM ET

So noted, though I usually end up keeping a lot of my books.  That's why I have to buy so many credits. Now if they would just get here. The good thing about a bookstore is that you leave with the book in your hands.  This process usually takes about 10 days. Delayed gratification is no fun at all.

Edited to add this, since I forgot why I started to post in the first place, LOL.  I finished Curveball.  I think I liked it better than Squeeze Play, though both were good.  Now I am going to read some December Harlequin Presents.  I got The Demetrios Marriage Bargain by Kim Lawrence, His Christmas Bride and The Italian Tycoon's Bride both by Helen Brooks, and Italian Boss, Housekeeper Bride by Sharon Kendrick.

Last Edited on: 11/25/07 9:51 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
CWGal avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 11/25/2007 10:32 PM ET

Tricia--The Admiral's Bride is my favorite book in the Tall, Dark and Dangerous series! Jake is such a great hero! :-)

Page:
Want fewer ads?