Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: What are you reading this week Apr 12 - Apr 18 ?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
booklover6 avatar
Date Posted: 4/14/2009 6:45 AM ET

Crystal, I have read the two Karen Kelley books, not sure you want to read them back to back....

I finished Two Little Lies by Liz Carlyle, which I enjoyed. Well written (except for some typos) average romance. Not my favorite type of theme--long separation, secret child, foreign woman--but still good.  I'll probably start the third in the series today, the hero is scarred and sounds interesting.

lighthouse-lady avatar
Date Posted: 4/14/2009 9:16 AM ET

So there I was, thoroughly enjoying Unexpected (Eli is GREAT!) by Lori Foster and I get to page 249 and my book just ENDS! :? I bought it at a library sale and I knew some of the pages were loose, but I had NO IDEA the whole ending to the book was missing. CRAP!
I hate that. :(

Nothing like getting into a good book and then having to totally miss the happily ever after.

willaful avatar
Date Posted: 4/14/2009 1:23 PM ET

Not my favorite type of theme--long separation, secret child, foreign woman

Anne, do you have a "foreign woman" thing too? I'm always a little embarrassed by it, but for some reason they just bug me! (In romance, not in real life!)  Liz Carlyle has helped me got over it, because she has so non-English/American heroines and I really like her books.

sfields avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/14/2009 1:39 PM ET

I finished Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie, which was a really cute book. If anyone's looking for a fun romance I'd suggest this one.

Not sure what I'll read next. I was thinking about starting the Riley Jensen series by Keri Arthur, I've got the first 5 in my TBR.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/14/2009 2:36 PM ET

I just finished Miss Ware's Refusal by Marjorie Farrell- a Signet Regency- and have found a new favorite author. I really enjoyed her writing. The H/H  actually behaved as mature adults and the romance was wonderfully touching.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/14/2009 2:44 PM ET

I started Single White Vampire by Lynsay Sans. I didn't get too far along but so far it's cute! this vampire writes vamp novels and his new editor wants him to do a signing and keeps writing these long formal letters and then 2-3 months later he replies with all the formalities but the only content of the letter is 'no.'..her letters go on a whole page then his is 'no.'

I'll probably read more of it today if I can at work then tonight before bed.

seton avatar
Date Posted: 4/14/2009 3:08 PM ET

Willa, what was the other faux incest book? I read Tangled Lies and thought it was meh.

Two Little Lies - I hated this book. Wanted to smack both H/H for being so immature. Almost put me off reading Carlyle ever again, I hated it so much.

mariehong avatar
Marie - ,
Date Posted: 4/14/2009 3:23 PM ET

Finished reading Hard as Nails by HelenKay Dimon

Reading Taking Care of Business by Megan Hart and Lauren Dane.

Next up is Hide and Seek by Alyssa Brooks

booklover6 avatar
Date Posted: 4/14/2009 3:57 PM ET

Yes Willa I don't like the foreign woman in histoicals. I generally don't like if they are set in Europe, either, other than the British Isles, of course! Liz Carlyle does seem like a good writer, but the next one, Three Little Secrets, is another one dealing with a long separation and possibly another secret child. ugh! I'll read it though LOL.

Will finish up Sexy Beast III shortly, and just got Bone Crossed from the library so hope to start it tonight!

willaful avatar
Date Posted: 4/14/2009 4:37 PM ET

Willa, what was the other faux incest book? I read Tangled Lies and thought it was meh.

Yeah, I'm bummed because it was highly recommended, but older Stuart does not do a lot for me. No other book in particular, it's just a theme I really don't like and it keeps popping up, lucky me. :-\

I liked Three Little Secrets better than Two Little Lies, but generally that series is not her best. The Devil You Know is my favorite by her; I also really like A Deal With the Devil.

seton avatar
Date Posted: 4/14/2009 6:07 PM ET

DEVIL YOU KNOW is the other Carlyle that makes me see red. I know that I am the only one on the internet who was grossed out by the book. What's wrong with everybody? Everytime, Bentley went on a bender at the local tavern for 2 or 3 days and came home all slovenly smelling of ale and hos, Freddie had to jump his bones before he can take a bath. Ick. That Freddie had a problem. Also Bentley's sob story about why he was a wastrel manslut left a lot to be desired.

mamadoodle avatar
Date Posted: 4/14/2009 6:08 PM ET

Sherron - you're welcome!

Well, I'm down to skimming Lora Leigh's Nauti Intentions.  This is Alex (Christa's brother) and Janey (Natches's sister) book.  Its never before bothered me but the age different between them (she's 23, he's 38) is kind of icky because she might be 23 but she acts like she's 18 and they all keep babying her and then when Alex calls her "baby" it just gives me the creeps.  So....skimming to the end and posting this one.  Yuck.

Not sure what I'm reading next.

booklover6 avatar
Date Posted: 4/14/2009 6:24 PM ET

Good to know, Willa, I have 3 of her Devil books TBR.

Sherri I hope I like that better than you did.  I remember a Johanna Lindsey book where the man was 40 and the girl was like 18....yikes. 23 and 38 doesn't seem as bad, to me. I've been looking forward to this book.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/14/2009 7:45 PM ET

Still reading Lords of Desire anthology and the third story --- Lessons in Pleasure by Victoria Dahl was very good -- I think I have another somewhere in my TBR pile but definitely an author I'd read again... Redeems the book for me. The story was about an inexperienced wife coming into her own -- regency times but married to a fairly normal guy - not an earl, etc. Nice story.

mamadoodle avatar
Date Posted: 4/14/2009 8:08 PM ET

Anne, it wasn't their age difference at all.  Just the way  she acted made her seem younger than 23.

RomanceLVR avatar
Date Posted: 4/14/2009 9:14 PM ET

I just finished The Man Who Loved Jane Austen.  Not great, but anything Jane Austen always attracts my attention. 

Not sure what to read next, but I should probably try to read some of the many books that are wishlisted so I can pass them along. 

lovetocruise avatar
Date Posted: 4/15/2009 10:35 AM ET

Finished Beyond Sunrise by Candice Proctor.  This was not my favorite book of hers but was certainly readable. 

willaful avatar
Date Posted: 4/15/2009 1:36 PM ET

Finishing up one of those annoying bicker-fest Harlequin Presents. Aint it wonderful when a heroine actually nags a hero into loving her!

mamadoodle avatar
Date Posted: 4/15/2009 6:43 PM ET

I finished skimming Nauti Intentions and I'm glad it wasn't something I paid money for.  It only got worse (to me) as it went on.  One scene I can't even begin to describe here absolutely made me want to puke. 

So I finished that then moved on to a nom-romance called Steve & Me by Terri Irwin.  Its the story about Steve Irwin's life and death.  Fantastic book - I cried at the end.  Miss that man!!!

Now I'm going to start on Clueless Cowboy by Mary Connealy and because its so short, then start on Bride of the Beast by Sue-Ellen Wellfonder

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/15/2009 7:18 PM ET

I'm still reading Single White Vampire by Lynsay Sands. it's good but the poor vamp keeps starving and that's hard to read since I'm trying to eat right...sigh...he keeps running out of blood and then suffers. It's pretty cute in places though and fits my title with a color in it challenge...

trying a new enchilada recipe - it had better turn out good darn it..sure doesn't look like the picture though...

anyways, I'll probably finish Single White Vampire either tonight or tomorrow night.

lighthouse-lady avatar
Date Posted: 4/15/2009 7:52 PM ET

Sherri - I really want to read Steve & Me.  I saw it at Sams a while ago but didn't buy it.  I may have to, though.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/15/2009 9:31 PM ET

Zipped through Rhonda Nelson's Unforgettable--cute and funny, definitely in keeping with her general style.  I enjoyed it even though I often dislike the "amnesia" gambit in stories.

Also finished Sahara Kelly's A Kink in Her Tails--four spicy stories, a couple that include BSDM.  She managed four pretty different couples, and tied the stories together by the building they lived in.

CWGal avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 4/15/2009 9:35 PM ET

I just started Rewriting Monday by Jodi Thomas but so far it's pretty good. I think it's going to be similar to Twisted Creek.  I just finished Phantom Pleasures by Julie Leto and The Dead Girls' Dance (Morganville Vampires book 2) by Rachel Caine and I liked them both.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/15/2009 10:57 PM ET

aw man I didn't know Rewriting Monday was out already! I liked Twisted Creek - that was the first of hers I'd read!

nanaruss avatar
Date Posted: 4/15/2009 11:14 PM ET

I just finished Nauti Intentions today and I thought it was good.  I'm trying to figure out which scene made Sherri want to puke as I don't remember any that disgusted me.  I hope her next Nauti book will be about Rogue and the sheriff.

Page: