Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Homeschoolers' Corner Homeschoolers' Corner

Topic: Where are the rules ? I am looking for the rule that says you cannot

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Where are the rules ? I am looking for the rule that says you cannot
Date Posted: 10/31/2007 5:45 PM ET

offer more points than one for a book. Can someone link the rules please ? I have looked but have not found it.

Thank you.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/31/2007 5:54 PM ET

I found the rule regarding offering/receiving more than one point per book.  I found it by going to "Ask the Librarian" and doing a search for "cannot offer a book for more than one point". 

TheSampleLady avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/31/2007 6:09 PM ET
No.
  • A bound book "costs" 1 credit at PBS (no exceptions)
  • An audiobook "costs" 2 credits at PBS 
    • some "children's-length" audiocassette items cost 1 credit each
Offering to "pay" (or asking a requestor to "pay"--see below) more than "PBS price" for a book is not permitted.  Why?
  • If the book is Wishlisted, offering more than the PBS "price" for the book may allow members to leapfrog over others in the Wish List for the book. This obviously is not fair.
  • Even if the book is not Wish Listed, a "free market" system could lead to "bidding" for a book, and auctions are NOT permitted on PBS.
  • One reason is that auctions are subject to state laws, and as PBS members belong to various states, this could be illegal.
  • The other reason is that we want all members to have a fair chance to get books on PBS.  Pitting those who have lots of credits to spare against those who don't have a lot of credits at the time goes against the very spirit of PBS--the fair sharing of books. Everybody equal.
Asking for more than "PBS price" for a book is considered bookselling
  • Bookselling is not permitted at PBS
  • If you feel that your book is too valuable (or too costly to ship) to be swapped for "PBS price", you should not Post it here.
  • If this is a matter of postage cost (your book is heavy), remember that you can also request a "heavy" book with the credit you get for sending yours--so it all evens out.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/31/2007 6:31 PM ET

I know michele, Like I said I found the rule through the "Ask the Librarian" 

What do you mean "No" ?