Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Wish List books to friends

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
JML avatar
Judith L. (JML) - ,
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Wish List books to friends
Date Posted: 8/6/2019 9:20 AM ET

I'm curious about the wish list posts to friends. When you post a book and a list of friends pop up, is the first one shown the person who has waited the longest? Perhaps that person is number 1 or nearly so on the wish list? 

lionrose avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/6/2019 2:49 PM ET

I believe that the names are just in alphabetical order.

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/6/2019 4:27 PM ET

Judith, what a great 'wow, I never thought about that,' question!  I checked a couple of my books to see if the members are listed alphabetically, but that isn't it.  Also checked the distance from me to the members, and that's not it.  I would guess you are correct in the FIFO order, but I sent the question to the PBS team and I'll let you know.  :)

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/7/2019 9:40 PM ET

This is what the PBS team said:

Thanks for writing in! In general, the Friends shown are shown in order of the date they Wish Listed the book. It's not perfect for reasons too complicated to explain, but in general, it's true. Note that Friends will not be shown if they aren't able to request the book (if they are on vacation hold and either the wish is NOT set to auto-request, or the wish IS set to auto-request but the member doesn't have the necessary balances to request it).

hardtack avatar
Date Posted: 8/7/2019 9:52 PM ET

More "good to know" PBS trivia. Thanks for asking and sharing the answer.

I haven't had TV for over 30 years, but I have friends who, for some reason, find it necessary to tell me about TV shows they watch. From what I hear, it seems the networks are scraping the barrel for ideas for "reality shows." As a result, the way I see it, they will eventually have a reality show following members of PBS. I bet the more PBS trivia you know, the better chance you have of being selected as a 'star' on the show.

Not that I'd be interested in being on that show. The way I see it, people who believe "reality shows" are real, need to continue taking their meds.

Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 8/7/2019 10:54 PM ET

Thomas - there seem to be more 'reality' shows than just regular shows - between the reality shows and the talent shows, there's not much on TV these days. Good thing we all read. Pat

seacat66 avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/9/2019 12:16 PM ET

reality shows are just entertainment. nothing more.

JML avatar
Judith L. (JML) - ,
Date Posted: 8/10/2019 6:00 PM ET

Joy, thanks for looking into this for me. I suspected there was I FIFO order to this, but it's great to have it confirmed.

classicana avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 8/10/2019 9:28 PM ET

"Judith, what a great 'wow, I never thought about that,' question!"  

I totally agree, and thank you, Joy, for getting the answer for us!  yesyes

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Subject: Thanks, Joy
Date Posted: 8/17/2019 9:17 PM ET

Ahhh, I never knew books needed to be on auto-request to show up to a friend.......I have very few of the almost 300 on my WL set to auto. That might also explain why so few of the highly popular WL books I post show me a friend to send to.......I get only 2 or 3 a year that offer me a friend's name.

And IMO, many reality tv shows are denigrating to people and our relationships, especially those that flaunt personal problems under the guise of 'helping'. (I do not consider competition shows to be 'reality' shows.)

rebeccam avatar
Date Posted: 8/18/2019 7:41 AM ET

No, friends do not need their wishlist on autorequest to be listed when a book is posted. The PBS team said it wouldn't be shown if they were on vacation hold and not on auto request, as if the friend is on vacation their wishlist is on hold so they aren't available to request. Auto Wishlist keeps the wishlist off hold so they can still get books when the account is on vacation hold.

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/18/2019 9:10 AM ET

Thanks for clarifying that, Rebecca. I was wondering why so often when I post WL books to a friend the offer isn't automatically accepted as it would be if all the friends listed had the book on auto-request.