Now you can log into PaperBackSwap and Facebook simultaneously!
- This will allow you to access PaperBackSwap without entering your PBS login information
- It also means you can "like" books more easily and comment on PaperBackSwap from your Facebook account.
What you need:
- A Facebook account (it's free at www.facebook.com)
- Your "primary" email address at Facebook must match the email address you use for your PaperBackSwap account.
- At Facebook, you can change your primary email address in your Account Settings >> General.
- Click Edit to the right of the Email option
- then click the button next to the email address that matches the one you use at PaperBackSwap, to choose that email address as "Primary". This will not change the email you use to log into facebook - you can use any of your facebook associated email addresses to log into your facebook account.
- Save the change by typing your facebook password into the box provided, and click the Save Changes button.
- At PaperBackSwap you can change your PBS account email address in your My Account >> Settings.
- Make the change at the top of the page and click the Update button to save the change.
- If you want to keep your PaperBackSwap email address the same, but it is not associated with your Facebook account, you can add it there and make it the primary email address by:
- Logging into Facebook and going to Account Settings >> General.
- Click Edit to the right of the Email option
- Click "Add another email" and type in your PaperBackSwap email address
- Select the button next to that email to make it "primary"
- Save the changes by typing your facebook password into the box provided, and click the Save Changes button.
Setting up Login with Facebook:
- Click the "Login with Facebook" button in the box at the upper left on the homepage at www.paperbackswap.com
- The first time you do this, you will need to authorize the PaperBackSwap Login app:
- Click the 'Log In with Facebook' button in the box that pops up. This dialog box only appears the first time you log into PaperBackSwap via Facebook.
- In subsequent logins (after approving the app), you will see a Facebook Login dialog box asking for your Facebook email and password. Fill in the information (if your browser does not auto-fill it for you) and click "Log In with Facebook".
The dialog box will go away and within a few seconds you will be logged into PaperBackSwap Home (www.paperbackswap.com/home.php)
What changes will I see at PaperBackSwap if I log into PaperBackSwap using Facebook?
- If you've granted permission at Facebook for apps to use your Facebook avatar, you will see it on the PaperBackSwap home page in place of your PaperBackSwap avatar. This serves as a reminder that you used Facebook to log in. Note: Your PaperBackSwap avatar will still appear on every other page of PBS.
- If you have Facebook Friends that have 'Liked' PaperBackSwap's page on Facebook, you will see their Facebook avatars on the PaperBackSwap home page as well.
- When you log out, you will have the option to log out of both PaperBackSwap and Facebook:
- If you choose Logout under My Account from the dropdown menu, you will be logged out of both PaperBackSwap and Facebook automatically.
- If you click 'Log out' in the upper-right corner of any PaperBackSwap page. If you logged in via Facebook, you will see 'Log out of Facebook?' appear, with small 'Yes' and 'No' buttons.
- If you click 'Yes' you will be logged out both Facebook and PaperBackSwap.
- If you click 'No', you will be logged out of PaperBackSwap only.
Once I set this up (I log into Facebook and PaperBackSwap together and authorize the "Login with Facebook" app), do I always have to login that way?
- No. You always have the choice to log in without facebook.
What private info do I have to share if I do this?
- None. Note that PaperBackSwap needs to "know" only your email address at Facebook for the Login with Facebook app to work (and we already have that information, since it will matches the email address you use for your PaperBackSwap account).
- You'll be shown more details about what you are sharing when you authorize the app - it depends on what you have set in your Facebook privacy settings (= what you allow apps to access at Facebook).
What if I logout of PaperBackSwap but stay logged into Facebook, and then I want to use the "Login with Facebook" feature again to get back into PaperBackSwap.
- The "login with facebook" button on the Login page at PaperBackSwap will now say "Logout".
- Click that, and it will turn back to "Login with Facebook".
- Click "Log in with Facebook" to do that.
What if I am having trouble with this login process? Am I locked out of PaperBackSwap?
- Not at all! You can always log into PaperBackSwap the regular way, if Facebook's servers are not processing login properly.
I clicked the "Login with Facebook" button, but it took me to the Sign Up page at PaperBackSwap! I already have a PaperBackSwap account - why isn't this working?
- If you click "Login with Facebook" and you are sent to the PaperBackSwap Registration form, that means that your "primary" email address at Facebook does not match the email address you've used for your PaperBackSwap account.
- To fix this, you should visit your Facebook account and set your Primary email on Facebook to match the email address you use for your PaperBackSwap account (see instructions above). Then log out of Facebook, wait a minute or two for the change to propagate to Facebook's servers, then re-open PaperBackSwap. You should now be able to use the "Login with Facebook" button.