|Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.|
I was just thinking - hypothetically - if you were to travel and live in a primitive society (e.g. as a missionary) for say 10 years...and only 10 books could be brought along - what would they be?
1. The Bible 2. Complete Works of William Shakespeare 3. The Unabridged Poems of Robert Frost 4. An Anthology of English Poems from Chaucer to Present 5. The Imitation of Christ 6. Walden 7. The Complete Stories of Sherlock Holmes 8. The Complete Works of Lewis Carroll 9. The Complete Stories of O'Henry 10. An anthology of science fiction stories such as Science Fiction Century
The I Ching
The Complete Poems of Charlotte Mew
The Norton Anthology of Literature by Women
Travelling Mercies (or any other book by Anne Lamott)
The Complete Rumi
any book by Thich Nhat Hanh
any book by SARK
and a big blank journal.
Peace today, Lisa
The Count of Monte Cristo, Jane Eyre, The Complete Edgar Allan Poe, The Devil in the White City, Pride & Prejudice, The Island of Dr. Moreau, Atlas Shrugged, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Matilda, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
1. "The Secret Life of Bees" 2. "Their Eyes Were Watching God" 3. "Lamb", " 4. "A Dirty Job", 5. "The Stupidest Angel" 6. "Atonement" 7. "Shame" 8. "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" 9. Any Janet Evanovich book 10. Any Dresden Files book.
I guess I took this in a totally different way. I would take books that dealt with subjects like: first aid, midwifery. building a shelter, teaching english, growing crops, etc. Books that would be actually useful where I was going.
ooo this is a good question. I would take the following:
1. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
3. The Black Tulip by Alexandre Dumas
4. Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier
5. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
6. Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Hardy
7. The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas
8. Paradise Lost by Milton
9. The Three Muskateers by Dumas
10. Anna Karenina by Toltstoy
The first 7 are some of my favorite books and ones that I would re-read anytime and since I'm there for 10 full years re-reading will definitely be happening. The last 3 are ones that I've never read and would like to...Also, they are long so it would take up a bunch of my 10 years I think...especially Milton. that was my challenge peice lol :)
In no particular order
just 10 books....
PhotoAlbum by My family and I *smile*
An empty journal
Obsidian Butterfly by Laurell K Hamilton
Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Any of the over 700 page books by Terry Goodkind
Stone Butch Blues-...just to remind me
The Story of Us--- a journal that you and your partner fill in over the years (which we do)
mmmm just 7 so far.... i guess i would pick up another 3 along the way....maybe Eragon, the Marketplace, and the Chronicles of Narnia
Hmmm - for me it would have to be books I could read over and over again...
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
The Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz
Piggie Pie by Margie Palatini
Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein
Fox in Sox by Dr. Seuss
The Truth About Chuck Norris: 400 Things You Didn't Know About the World's Greatest Human by Ian Spector
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hoseini