Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: 2017 Mystery/Thriller Challenge - Discussion

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 1/8/2017 5:50 PM ET

Just finished Asimov's Mysteries.  He was such a talented writer that I always enjoy his work.  This collection has a couple of tales that challenge the reader.  I've forgotten my biochemistry that would be helpful in the reading of one tale and for another a clear understanding of Einstein's theory of relativity and how it works would be helpful.  Yet I loved so many of the tales and particularly his wonderful comments about what was written for each one.  Crytic and to the point.  If you like science fiction pick this one up.  Many of the tales are short, some as few as two to three pages and others are longer.  Good, good read for me.  

Last Edited on: 1/8/17 5:52 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
beanie5 avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 1/8/2017 7:25 PM ET

Well while watching Green Bay play the Giants, I have been searching for books for this Challenge.  Several blanks have been filled in and in the case of this lot, ALL of them are on Kindle!!!  Three free with Kindle Unlimited.  About $12.00 for five more!!!  These days I do much more reading on my Kindle, so these were happy choices!!!  I think perhaps only one is not the first in a series, but it is some tea shop thing and I doubt it really matters!!!  Sorry to be unkind about the Tea Shop --- I know some of you likely just love it.  I try very hard not to read books in series with food themes.  Usually find them just to "cute".

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 1/15/2017 9:23 PM ET

Last Edited on: 1/16/17 3:10 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 1/20/2017 5:20 PM ET

Having trouble choosing a selection for Trains and Boats and Planes.  Does the crime have to be committed on one of these forms of travel or can travel be involved as someone going to France and working on a murder?  Some advice would help!

Last Edited on: 1/20/17 5:41 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Member of the Month medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 1/20/2017 8:06 PM ET

I'm not sure if this will fit but I just discovered The Women on the Orient Express / Lindsay Jayne Ashford.  I just began reading it but Agatha Christie is supposed to be traveling on the Orient Express.  That would qualify as a train fer sur.  It can qualify in th ehistorical challenge since it takes place in 1928.  In fact more than one category for both historical and the mystery.  I have it on Kindle.

beanie5 avatar
Date Posted: 1/20/2017 8:13 PM ET

Geri --- I read that book and did enjoy it.  A little odd for Agatha to be the main character --- but it worked well.  The murder in this actually does not take place on the train if that is a "must" for the Challenge.  At least I do not think it did --- as I recall it took place on land.

beanie5 avatar
Date Posted: 1/20/2017 8:13 PM ET

Geri --- I read that book and did enjoy it.  A little odd for Agatha to be the main character --- but it worked well.  The murder in this actually does not take place on the train if that is a "must" for the Challenge.  At least I do not think it did --- as I recall it took place on land.

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 1/20/2017 8:28 PM ET

Becky, I'm not sure, Mary has "involving" one.  I'm going to use it as Famus Women in the historical challenge.  But, thought it might fit this if someone was having trouble finding somthing.

Trains and Boats and Planes – Read a mystery involving one of these modes of transportation (you may substitute railroad, ship, airplane as your search term).

beanie5 avatar
Date Posted: 1/21/2017 8:42 AM ET

Geri --- That is a great one for the the transportation category.  I would use it there myself but I believe I read the book in late December.

ALERT to anyone who enjoys the Dugoni series about Tracy Crosswhite (police lady in Washington State) -- the 4th book is available to order on Kindle Unlimited for free or to purchase for $4.99!!!  Ran onto it by chance after reading my SYKM newsletter and seeing it was released in hardcover this month.

bkydbirder avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/21/2017 8:52 AM ET

I preordered that book Becky - on Kindle - but it doesn't get released until the 24th of this month I believe.

mary2029 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 1/21/2017 8:42 PM ET

For Trains and Boats and Planes category, crime does not have to be committed on a plane, train or boat, Book must include some travel in one of those modes. E.g., I'm going to read Alphabet House by Jussi Adler-Olsen, in which two pilots are shot down over Nazi Germany and then board a train. They end up in a German mental hospital where doctors engage in experiments and feign insanity to survive.

Last Edited on: 1/21/17 8:43 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
retiredteacher avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 1/22/2017 5:23 PM ET

I finished Dog on It and liked it. Now will start A Tiger's Tale by Laura Morrigan for the Chinese Zodiac category.

beanie5 avatar
Date Posted: 1/22/2017 11:26 PM ET

Yes Jeanne--- it is for pre-order.

skeetergirl avatar
Date Posted: 1/26/2017 4:41 PM ET

Well, for someone who wasn't really sure she wanted to do a Challenge this year I'm not doing too bad.  Got a stack of books for Christmas (stack=25) and have gotten thru 22 at this point.  Some good, some not so much.  But, discovered a few of them fit in the Challenge without me having to look for them!   Going to the library tomorrow (Christmas books were all the "intense" sort of mystery and need something lighter) so will have a look around there and see what might fit work for the Challenge. 

Just finished Robert Dugoni's latest...The Trapped Girl.  So far, that series is holding up and I enjoyed it.

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 1/26/2017 6:57 PM ET

Yay!  Marla is here!  Missed you.

beanie5 avatar
Date Posted: 1/28/2017 11:45 AM ET

Yes Marla --- So happy to see you here, even briefly.  You have been on my mind daily, hoping all is well.  Sounds as though you have been on a reading fest!!!

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 1/31/2017 10:25 AM ET

Doing good with the challenge.  I have the eleven books for th emain challenge.  Working on gathering/reading th ebonus section.  I thought I wouldn't have any trouble finding the three women's name:  Ariel, Beatrice, Bianca, Celia, Cleopatra, Cordelia, Desdemona, Emilia, Helena, Jessica, Kate, Miranda, Olivia, Rosalind, Portia, Sylvia, Viola.  It seemed like every book I was reading had a Jessica or Kate, even Miranda.  No, I have not read a single book in January with those names, not even as an extra character let alone a MC!  Today I found an Ariel and have found two Olivia's in January.  And, as for the men!!!  I did have one that had a Henry in a very small part.  Sheesh.  I can hang in there but may end up "stealing" Mary's books.  wink

beanie5 avatar
Date Posted: 1/31/2017 6:41 PM ET

Geri --- I have one book for female and male at this point!!  Have not spent any further time looking.  I think I have a Kate and I really do not know what male name I found.  Seems the few books I have read this year are fitting in the Historical Mystery Challenge --- although I know there will be historicals in the Mystery Challenge as well.

skeetergirl avatar
Date Posted: 2/2/2017 12:31 AM ET

Question re the Shakespearian names...what about Juliet?  You have Romeo in the men's names.  Ran across a book with Juliet as the MC and was wondering about it.

Geri...If you are really bored one day, try going to SYKM and just start going through the "Characters" list.  I found several of the women's names and a few of the men and I did't go that far.

Last Edited on: 2/2/17 1:38 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 2/2/2017 6:38 AM ET

Well, darn I've been wandering around SYKM but did not check the character list!  Thanks Marla.  I found two books with Romeo yesterday one his first name and the other his surname.  I wondered about Juliet myself.

beanie5 avatar
Date Posted: 2/2/2017 9:40 PM ET

Mary --- I am sorry to quibble about categories, but in the Shakespearian names, may we only use the ones you have listed, or may we use other names found in Shakespeare plays?

mary2029 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 2/4/2017 5:52 PM ET

Becky - The Shakespearean names I provided are just for starters. Any name from any play will qualify.

beanie5 avatar
Date Posted: 2/4/2017 9:09 PM ET

Hello All & Thank you Mary --- The Shakespeare name category just became even more fun!!!  Do a web search for names of characters in Shakespeare lit and you will find a whole host of wonderful names!!!

retiredteacher avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 2/4/2017 10:10 PM ET

Thanks Mary and to clarify are we to choose books that the character's first name is Shakespearean and not their last names?

For instance, should we only use names such as Henry Smith and not John Henry?

Last Edited on: 2/4/17 10:10 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 2/5/2017 11:41 AM ET

Gee Mary, I've got an author that has a Shakespeare name can I use that?   devil  Could not help it. 

I was getting so frustrated with the names.  I swear last year every book I read had a Kate or Jessica, a Duncan and a Malcolm.  Now, that you said any of the names from a Shakespeare without looking I suddenly have all three women and two men.  Plus, it's only February!

Page: