Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: 2018 Cozy Mystery Challenge Discussion Topic

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/27/2018 6:58 AM ET

I am reading Lynn Cahoon's new series Who Moved My Goat Cheese   I think Ms. Cahoon is a very good story teller. This book is set in Idaho. You don't see many books set in Idaho.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/31/2018 9:05 PM ET

I finished Asking for Truffles by Dorothy St James. I didn't like it much. Main character was miserable, can't imagine what the author was thinking wring so many unlikable characters in the book. Mabel was very nice and loving, but the dog is awful. Oh well

Bama-Booklover avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/2/2018 1:53 PM ET

Nicole's April/May Mystery TBR swap is open if you're interested.........I'm sure there will be lots of cozies there, at least I know there is on my TBR

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 4/8/2018 7:08 AM ET

I finished Body on Baker Street by Vicki Delany. I thought it was much better than the first book in the series. Characters were better. I like the whole murder and victim in this one. Good twist

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 4/9/2018 7:31 AM ET

I finished Lowcountry Bordello by Susan M. Boyer. Excellent series set in South Carolina. Lots of souther charm. Well written and good mystery. Highly recommend the series

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 4/12/2018 2:28 PM ET

While continuing with my books from The Haunted Guesthouse series by E. J. Copperman;  I've also started a new series (new author to me) with the first book

Flipped for Murder (Country Store, Bk 1) Maddie Day.    It's a combination country store with vintage cookware and country restaurant........

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 4/22/2018 7:47 AM ET

I finished Dial M for Mousse by Laura Bradford.  I enjoy this series and her creative ideas for dessert. Murder was interesting. Can't stand her boy fried Jay and his daughter.

Alice

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 4/24/2018 6:26 AM ET

I have started The Secret Book and Scone Society By Ellery Adams. She is one of my favorite cozy authors. This one is a little less cozyish but very good.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 4/29/2018 8:03 AM ET

I finished a new paranormal cozy

Magick & Mayhem by Sharon Pape   First in series. Very good, love brining in Merlin

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 5/9/2018 11:17 AM ET

I have just flown through the Deborah Knott series. I had no idea that there were books in that series with Sigrid Harald as a significant character, but I consider that a bonus! and the Bloody Kin was tied in, too, so I read that as well. Any series like that that someone could recommend?

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 5/11/2018 6:55 AM ET

I finished  A Magical Match [Witchcraft Mystery] by Juliet Blackwell.   It was good but I have liked other books in the series better. Oscar the pig is still great though.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 5/11/2018 11:00 AM ET

Alice, I have that book in my boating bag to read when we go out on the boat Monday.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 5/13/2018 4:20 PM ET

Question:  for those who have read Sheila Connolly's Orchard Mysterys........are there goats in those books?  For example:  Seeds of Deception and A Late Frost.    I remember them being in them but cant find them in these two as I skim them.   Does anyone remember?

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 5/13/2018 5:38 PM ET

Yes I think there are 

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 5/13/2018 5:38 PM ET

Yes I think there are 

4buttercup avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 5/13/2018 7:42 PM ET

They are but I think it is only a mention of caring for them. 

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 5/17/2018 5:29 PM ET

A Fright to the Death by Dawn Eastman 3 stars out of 5

This book is number 3 in series. It was good, not a simple mystery to figure out. The old mansion/castle they stayed in really was best part of the book. Ms. Eastman did a great job describing it and making you wish you could stay there for the weekend.  Not to much on psychic spin that the series is supposed to be based on. Fun easy cozy.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 5/20/2018 8:36 AM ET

I am reading a fun paranormal cozy

Spell Disaster by Leighann Dobbs.  Set in New Hampshire. Fun characters and on the lookout for FBPI  (Federal Bureau of paranormal investigations) Great familars too.  Start with book 1 though.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 5/24/2018 6:55 AM ET

I am reading The Killing at Kaldaire House by Kate Parker. First in a new series set in early 1900 London. Very good so far. It is a historical cozy

Last Edited on: 5/24/18 6:55 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 5/26/2018 6:33 AM ET

Reading Amanda Flower's new series Flowers and Foul Play set in Scotland. Very good so far. Duncan, the squirrel is a hoot.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 6/2/2018 12:34 PM ET

Just putting out a plea:  I'm missing books throughout the series Donut Mysteries by Jessica Beck.   If I read the series in order; I need # 12 Sweet Suspects and # 13 Deep Fried Homicide before I can continue with the ones I have.

Saying that, if you have any of the series that's on my WL, please feel free to post to my wishlist.......That is all.  Thank you.......LOL

frogslady avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Donuts
Date Posted: 6/2/2018 10:14 PM ET

I don't have those, Lynn. I have some later ones, but I haven't read them yet. My local library has hte ones 2 - 24, so I just read them that way.

Bama-Booklover avatar
Date Posted: 6/3/2018 8:47 AM ET

This is terrible but it's been years since I've been in a library.   I should go look for these in our local library........wink   I do have #13 coming to me FIFO now....... #12 is the major missing link;  then there are more missing links further down the series...

These are good to carry on our boat to read while DH fishes;  small, quick reads;  I could knock out a few while he fishes for the day.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 6/5/2018 7:20 AM ET

I am reading Murderous Mayhem at Honechurch Hall by Hanna Dennison.   Very good series set in England but start with book 1.  Pretty cover art too!!

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 6/20/2018 5:50 AM ET

In my GoodReads Group Cozy Mystery Corner    The author of the month was Dorothy Cannell. I have never read her books but I read book 1 The Thin Woman written in 1984 set in England.  Very British.  I enjoyed it a lot big cast of crazy charcters. Nice change from our modern cozy. Has anyone else read Dorothy Cannell books?

Also in that cozy mystery corner I am the participant that got to pick the July authors. We will be reading Susan M Boyle's Liz Talbot mysteries and Julie Chase's Cat Got you Diamonds. Join in

Page: