Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Paranormal

Topic: 2018 Paranormal Challenge Discussion

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/22/2018 6:45 AM ET

Last night I finished Wild Card by Rachel Vincent  always good series. She did very well writing about some younger characters. Very much enjoyed it.

Today I am starting Dragon Bites by Allyson James. I have enjoyed all the books in this series.

Alice

sulock avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/25/2018 7:54 AM ET

Finished 'The Queen of Swords (Golgotha) Author: R. S. Belcher   the 3rd book in the series that included Shotgun Arcana and Six-Gun Tarot, these are a mix of Paranormal , Horror and Westerns.  The first two were riveting and I loved them.  This one I really liked it gives the background on Mauds abilities as a Daughter of Lilith.  My only problem with the book was the way it skipped from the present character Maud to her Grandmother the pirate who gained entry to the Daughters for her bloodline.  In the end the stories were strong enough for me to get over the chapters switching from time period to time period. 

sulock avatar
Date Posted: 7/25/2018 6:33 PM ET

picked up Six-Gun Snow White by Valente, a weird retelling of snow white.  It was short and kind of depressing but had enough twists to keep me with the character.  Snow white is 1/2 Crow Indian and her step mother names her Snow-White.  She is never loved by anyone , her mother died giving birth.  She becomes adept at shooting a hand gun and later becomes a fast draw. 

rxrcds avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 7/25/2018 9:23 PM ET

Finished Damian & now on to Kato. Stone Warriors series which is a spinoff of the Vampires in America by DB Reynolds. Pretty solid so far, 4 warriors and Nick if we get his story too.

leesie avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 7/27/2018 10:29 AM ET

Finished the Parasol Protectorate series this morning!  Yay! I think I read Souless 3 years ago or something. Not sure why I couldn't get to the others, but did this year! Woop. TBR is sort of shrinking.  Sort of...

Very cute, silly, funny series.  Enjoyed it.

wyomingblonde avatar
Date Posted: 7/27/2018 8:55 PM ET

This week I finished 

1. The Brightest Embers [Broken Destiny] by Jeaniene Frost - the series wraps up nicely, although it wasn't quite my most favorite ending ever.
sulock avatar
Date Posted: 7/31/2018 9:09 PM ET

Just finished Gods and Ends (Ordinary Magic, Bk 3) Author: Devon Monk

really great writing never could get into her earlier series but love this one.  Missed reading book one but the last two were great.

sulock avatar
Date Posted: 8/2/2018 7:30 PM ET

Nightshifted (Edie Spence, Bk 1)  Author: Cassie Alexander

I was surpised how much I liked this book , starting book 2 today.  Story about a nurse in a hospital in a ward that is under ground and unknown by most of the hospital.  Treats Vampires and Weres, there are zombies and shapeshifters and others.  The MC is a female nurse who is working in this area , she is a

person who has a marginal life style and just gets by.  There is no reason that this book should have been so successful but it was.  You felt captured by her and what she gets involved with she cares about the people she is around.  I am not into hospitals and nursing is not my thing but this book is really different and the story line just sucks you in.

leesie avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/2/2018 8:10 PM ET

I have that book on my TBR Susan, I will have to unearth it soon  :)

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/2/2018 8:12 PM ET

I liked Nightshifted too. very creative

wyomingblonde avatar
Date Posted: 8/3/2018 11:07 PM ET

This week I read 

1. Immortally Yours [Argeneau] by Lynsay Sands - I always enjoy these books.  They are light, fluffy, and entertaining, quick reads.
sulock avatar
Date Posted: 8/6/2018 8:58 PM ET

I finished Moonshifted by Cassie Alexander bk 2 ,  even more of a suspense filled book than the first.  I just wish she would have said no to some of the dangers I really didn't think we would make it thru to the end.  Being involved in the middle of warring vampires and competing werewolves no one knowing who is on who's side a poor human nurse should have had more self preservation instilled in her.  Cliff hangers all the way thru the book barely any rest for the reader or the main character. 

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 8/9/2018 6:23 AM ET

I finsihed Lake Silence by Anne Bishop a spinoff series for her. Although I liked it I think it spun its wheels not doing much for a good deal of the book. Very similar to her Others series.

wyomingblonde avatar
Date Posted: 8/11/2018 12:22 AM ET

This week I finished 

1. Bannerless by Carrie Vaughn - I loved this book.  I loved the world.  I want more!
eclecticfirefly avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 8/11/2018 3:30 PM ET

Amy - The Wild Dead [The Bannerless Saga] just came out last month.

wyomingblonde avatar
Date Posted: 8/13/2018 1:29 AM ET

Now I have to wait to get that one off my WL :)

sulock avatar
Date Posted: 8/14/2018 6:25 AM ET

Just finished  In Truth and Claw (A Mick Oberon Job #4)  Author: Ari Marmell

love this series, a fae PI in Chicago many creatures from his dimension , he is trying to find out a changlings origins.  Becomes involved in violent deaths , his town is invaded by vampires being called there by magic.  He loses friends and meets old foes and finally finds what he least expected someone from his world is coming after him and his city.  Really enjoy the writing and characters in this book. 

wyomingblonde avatar
Date Posted: 8/17/2018 11:20 PM ET

This week's read: 

1. Baby, I'm Howling For You [Alphaville] by Christine Warren - this book was not great, was not horrible.  Typical fated mate story with an overly alpha male, a couple that can't stop having constant sex (how DO they not get rug burns and chaffing???)
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 8/24/2018 7:06 AM ET

I finished Ilona Andrews' first book in the new series  Iron and Magic

I liked it but didn't love it.  World buildign was excellent and tie in to the Kate Daniels series was good, Just didn't like the main character very much.

wyomingblonde avatar
Date Posted: 8/24/2018 8:00 PM ET

This week I finished 

1. The Originals: The Resurrection by Julie Plec - the third installment of how The Originals came to rule in New Orleans, finishing with their leaving the city.  This trillogy is a background for the TV Series, that tells you the foundation of how New Orleans came to be the way it was. I love the show, and I loved getting the background.
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 8/26/2018 6:36 AM ET

I finished Honor Among Thieves by Rachel Caine and Ann Aguiree. Good firts book in the series.  Story centers around two people staying on a live ship. Nice concept.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 9/6/2018 7:31 AM ET

I finished The Big-Ass Witch by Gary Jonas.  Fast paced, light an fun. Main character may not be everyone's cup of tea

wyomingblonde avatar
Date Posted: 9/7/2018 9:03 PM ET

This week's read was 

1. Ash & Quill [Great Library] by Rachel Caine - I am still intruiged by this series.  I can't wait to see where it goes in the next book.
sulock avatar
Date Posted: 9/18/2018 8:36 AM ET

Well I am reading about Ghosts, not my favorite catagory.  But there have been some winners:  Picked up J. L. Bryan, 'Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper, this one was self published and didn't expect to love it but I was hooked, good character build, good action, beleivable ghost hunter.  She is a scientist using all the tools in Savannah , Ga.  I really recommend this book, was well written, and the plot is good.  And being self published thought there might be a lot of errors but I don't remember any editing problems. 

I also read Jana Deleon 'Dead Man Talking'  I love this writer and read a couple of different series she has written but really didn't love this book.  It was easy to put down and go do something else.  I did pick it back up and read somemore but really not her best work.  Characters were weak, and plot was just so-so.

Juliet Blackwell's 'Give up the Ghost' was good I like this series better than her other.  A good read for a ghost mystery.  Enjoyed it.

Then there was 'Grave Expectations' by new author C J Archer, was excited to read a new author with a necromancer as center character.  This is book four I think so I might have missed some background story but it was disjointed the characters might work for a teen novel but I found them really annoying.  The girl was I forget about teenage so maybe her character was true to form, but the head of the ministry was hot and cold and teenage tormented.  There was allot thrown in about the character (female)  but the writing wasn't very smooth and the ending was just a cut  off to get you to read the next book.  Unfortunately you can find these as ebooks but they are pricey, this one I found somewhere.  I do have another I think No. 7 so that will be the end of my reading these books. 

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 9/18/2018 9:31 AM ET

I am reading a couple of new releases that are really good

Frenchman Street by Suzanne Johnson

Wild Hunger by Chloe Niell    first i new series excellent  spinoff for Chicago land vamps

Page: