Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Paranormal

Topic: 2018 Paranormal Challenge Discussion

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
wyomingblonde avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/21/2018 9:31 PM ET

I was on vacation the last week, and here is what I've gotten read:

1. Wicked Abyss [Immortals After Dark] by Kresley Cole - I just love this series.  I am always enthralled with how the stories develop.  I have NO IDEA what Nix is up to, overall.
  2. Blood Fury [Black Dagger Legacy] by JR Ward - Loved the additional HEA - a bonus to the main storyline that was more than an afterthought.
  3. Blind Tiger [Wildcats] by Rachel Vincent - I like this series.  I love the world, I loved the primary series, I only like this spin off.  I hope it begins to go somewhere....
wyomingblonde avatar
Date Posted: 9/28/2018 10:55 PM ET

Continuing my JR Ward with 

1. The Theif [Black Dagger Brotherhood] by JR Ward - I just love her writing.  If I could live in a world where she was writing faster than I could read, I would be happy.  I'd be happier if I could live in her written world!  Main story was good, secondary story was great!
sulock avatar
Date Posted: 9/29/2018 8:01 AM ET

Just finished this ebook and recommend it as very funny new author I found original and a great writer.

Hoofin' It: A Magical Romantic Comedy (with a body count) Author: RJ Blain

This was a welcome suprise very funny book, shifters witches and modern setting in America.  I own Alpaca and this starts out in NYC with a body plunging off tall building in time square crashing into auto killing both driver and passenger, only survivor is Alpaca in backseat hog tied with duck tape.  The ex-cop from Chicago that witnesses it (no New Yorker would stop)  gets stuck with Alpaca.  This starts a sharp witted story with twists I didn't see coming.  Laughed thru it all.  Well written loved the characters, his parents are very different and add great entertainment.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 10/6/2018 6:03 AM ET

I finished a new to me author Internal Magic by  C.N. Crawford.   Very good, Demons and Faes

wyomingblonde avatar
Date Posted: 10/12/2018 8:32 PM ET

This week I finished 

1. Burn Bright [Alpha and Omega] by Patricia Briggs - I love this universe.  I love these books.  WHY does it take so long to get the next one??
wyomingblonde avatar
Date Posted: 10/19/2018 8:32 PM ET

This week I finished 

1. Hard Breaker by Christine Warren - this was one of the worst last books in a series I have read in a really long time.  I really was hoping for a more enjoyable book, especially since I've liked the rest so much.
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 10/22/2018 6:38 AM ET

I am reading the latest in the Kate Daniels series

Magic Triumphs by Ilona Andrews   it is excellent

leesie avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 10/22/2018 3:31 PM ET

I loved that one Alice! The new additions are so much fun  :)

sulock avatar
Date Posted: 11/3/2018 9:11 AM ET

Just read Soul Breaker (A City of Crows Novel) by Clara Coulson, it's an ebook but if you find it in any form grab it.  I think it was one of my favorite books this year.  Great writing and great characters and the story is fresh. 

wyomingblonde avatar
Date Posted: 11/3/2018 2:30 PM ET

In the last two weeks I have read:

1. Dragon Blood [Lupi] by Eileen Wilks - I just love this series.  The world is so defined and real.  I just wish she was a faster writer so I could find out where we are going with the story!
  2. Twice Bitten [Argeneau] by Lynsay Sands - the usual light fluff.  I am starting to forget who is now married to whom in this series, there's so many couples!
  3. Darkness Raging [Otherworld] by Yasmine Galenorn - I like this series.  Lots of things go on, everyone is changing their lives and powers and political postions all the time!  
wyomingblonde avatar
Date Posted: 11/16/2018 8:20 PM ET

This week I finished 

1. The Wild Dead by Carrie Vaughn - I love this world that Carrie has built.  I really would love to find out what happened to cause the world's downfall.  A story about that time period could be really interesting!
ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 11/18/2018 7:32 AM ET

I am reading Competence by Gail Carriger. Love her books. She has created a great world

sulock avatar
Date Posted: 11/18/2018 8:06 AM ET

I love Carriger's books.  I have a few more books to read to finish the challenge but I am losing steam.  I don't think I will pick up challenges next year.  I am always reaching for a book that doesn't fit.  I have lots of TBR books that I think I will make my own challenge with those.  I need to clear some out as there is another big FOL book sale in February and I have no room left to put new books.  I do have the books to finish this challenge my problem is I have some favorite authors books that really make me want to read theirs instead. 

rxrcds avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 11/18/2018 8:53 PM ET

So, I pretty much breathe, eat & sleep horror now because of the shop, so I brainstormed these for next year. Let me know what you think.

1. New Year's Evil: New to you author or new release
  2. The Lost Boys: Vampire or male lead.
  3. The Howling: Werewolves
  4. Carrie: Psychic Phenomena
  5. The Monster Squad: Beastie free for all
  6. Re-Animator: Zombies or Vampires
  7. Creepshow: Anthology, Short Stories, or a single novella
  8. My Bloody Valentine: Paranormal Romance
  9. Fade to Black: Color in Title
  10. Suspiria: A witch main character

Alternates

1. Final Exam: Final Book in series (or at least most recent in series)
  2. Terror Train: Lead takes a trip
  3. April Fool's Day: A Month or Day in title of book.
  4. Amityville Horror: Ghosts or haunted house.

Last Edited on: 11/18/18 9:12 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
eclecticfirefly avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 11/18/2018 9:10 PM ET

I love them!  Maybe add in something with ghosts?  Fade to Nothing or White Sheet not Required?

rxrcds avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 11/18/2018 9:13 PM ET

Alternate #4: Amityville Horror: Ghosts or Haunted House.

eclecticfirefly avatar
Date Posted: 11/18/2018 9:49 PM ET

I like that one!  Thanks Melissa.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 11/18/2018 9:59 PM ET

Awesome love them!!

wyomingblonde avatar
Date Posted: 11/24/2018 3:00 PM ET

This week I read:

1. Shadow's Bane [Dorina] by Karen Chance - I love this series, and I'm so happy with how this book ended.  I won't spoil it, but, it was awesome!
  2. How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days [Embraced] by Kerrelyn Sparks - entertaining enough read, but, another one of those people fall in love in just a week type stories, which I can only handle in small doses.
wyomingblonde avatar
Date Posted: 12/2/2018 3:36 PM ET

This week's reads:

1. Tempting the Beast [Breeds] by Lora Leigh - I've had this series on my shelf forever, trying to collect them all, so, I finally decided to get started.  I'm intruiged by the universe, and I've read a few of the short stories in anthologies
  2. So I Married a Sorcerer [Embraced] by Kerrelyn Sparks - I liked this one a bit better than the first one - still a light, fluffy read, and people who fall in love way too easily, but fun. I'm looking forward to the next one!
jemedwards avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal10th Anniversary PBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 12/3/2018 7:13 AM ET

Looking good Melissa.  My favorite category is always the one with “Color in the Title”.  I don’t know why...it just is.

wyomingblonde avatar
Date Posted: 12/8/2018 6:38 PM ET

This week I read

1. The Man Within [Breeds] by Lora Leigh
  2. Elizabeth's Wolf [Breeds] by Lora Leigh

I like the premise of this story, I'm not sure how I feel about the overly alpha male leads.  Some parts of the books feel almost rapey to me and this ends up causing me to skim some of the sex scenes.  I don't mind alpha males, but, there's a line that gets almost crossed a few times so far.....

For those that have read the series, do they stay this way?

eclecticfirefly avatar
Date Posted: 12/8/2018 7:08 PM ET

Amy - I gave up on that series a long time ago.  It seemed like the same story over and over.....and over.

jemedwards avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal10th Anniversary PBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 12/13/2018 11:54 AM ET

over and over.....and over.

...and over...

ROTFLMAO!!

But OMGoodness, why do I stick with them and plan to read book #31 (Cross Breed)?!?!  Somebody stop me, please!!

Page: