Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: 4 ?s

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: 4 ?s
Date Posted: 9/3/2009 8:24 PM ET

I have a book that looks to have some water(but it is dry now) damage.  It looks warpy like in ridges on the front but does not look all that bad.  Other than this the book is fine-the ? is this a postable book?  If not there is a way to exchange books without points? Trust me this site is chockfull of info it is hard for me to get the exact info I need.  I have another book that is perfectly readable but the spine is damaged and the cover looks rough but it is still in one piece.  I woul like to exchange if someone wanted it.  Surely this is not a postable book? How do I get my damaged but still readable books to someone who might want it?  Also, let's say I have a library book should I try to remove the pocket where the card was stored.  Should I tell this was once a library book( our local libraries stamp/ or write in the books) and where do I post this?  Thank you Liz

kilchurn avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal10th Anniversary PBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 9/3/2009 8:39 PM ET

Liz,

You can advertise these books in the Book Bazaar forum under "Community" -  Discussion Forums - you can also advertise these in the genre forums.  You can post an ex-library book for credit provided it meets the other guidelines.

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/3/2009 8:44 PM ET

is this a postable book? 

No, there can be no water damage, dry or not.

If not there is a way to exchange books without points?

The only way to get rid of unpostable books thru PBS is to offer them as unpostable books, in the Book Bazaar, or maybe in your signature, either for a credit or perhaps as a free book with another order from your shelf. You can exchange postable books, without credits, only if you become a Boxer. Boxers can swap books without credits.

Trust me this site is chockfull of info it is hard for me to get the exact info I need.  I have another book that is perfectly readable but the spine is damaged and the cover looks rough but it is still in one piece.  I woul like to exchange if someone wanted it.  Surely this is not a postable book?

Search the help docs for "Book Condition Guidelines" to find the full help doc.

Well, it depends. For spines, it is OK if the book opens to a particular page, but the spine cannot be broken into pieces held together by the paper. All the pages must be securely attached to the book. I'm also not sure what you mean by the cover is "rough". There can be creases and wear on the cover, as long as the cover is present, and has no rips larger than 1 inch. Also, the book must also not be "excessively worn", although this is, of course, subjective.

How do I get my damaged but still readable books to someone who might want it? 

Thru your signature, or a post in the Book Bazaar.

Also, let's say I have a library book should I try to remove the pocket where the card was stored.  Should I tell this was once a library book( our local libraries stamp/ or write in the books) and where do I post this? 

Ex-library books are allowed to be posted to your bookshelf, as long as they meet the other book condition guidelines (no rips in cover larger than 1 inch, no water damage, etc). You should leave all library stamps/stickers intact, as removing them might damage the book, and the book is postable with them.

Doughgirl avatar
Date Posted: 9/3/2009 8:46 PM ET

A book that has any type of water damage - even if it has dried, isn't postable on PBS.  So no, you can't post that book.

It sounds like the book with damage on the spine a rough looking cover isn't postable either, but I would really need to more about it to make that decision.  What kind of spine damage?  What do you mean when you say the cover looks rough?

Former library book are fine to post here, as long as they meet all of the other requirements.  And no, you shouldn't try to remove the card pocket.  That may cause damage to the book and then it would be unpostable.  Since former library books are allowed on PBS, there is no need to make any kind of a special note about the book (in fact, you can't because that's not the say that PBS works).  Just post it on your shelf and treat it like any other book.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/3/2009 8:48 PM ET

Last Edited on: 6/5/11 1:23 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
fangrrl avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 9/3/2009 8:48 PM ET

You may wish to read the postability guidelines, look under the help tab:
*Ex-library books are postable, but watch for RC's for them.  Not necessary to 'clean' them up.
*Liquid damaged books are not postable, but some wavy pages are due to low quality paper.  Liquid damage indicators  are discoloration, stiffness, and water stains.
*Spine creases are postable, spine tears or cleavage is not postable (definition in help guidelines)
*Shelf and cover wear are postable.  Cuts/tears over 1 inch, chew or teeth marks, stains, etc. are not postable

If your books are unpostable, you may offer them in the book bazaar for credit or free with an order from your shelf.  Unpostables must not be listed FIFO.

Exchanging books without credit transfers requires both parties to be boxers.

Last Edited on: 9/3/09 8:49 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Ronda (RONDA) - ,
Date Posted: 9/4/2009 3:47 PM ET

You could also use your BookShelf Header to note the unpostables you have.  It is the button on the top left when you are on your bookshelf that says Edit My Public Header.  It looks like it is not a large amount of space, so only so much will fit.  I am not sure but maybe you could put a link in it to your BB post about your unpostables.