Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Advanced reader copy books

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: Advanced reader copy books
Date Posted: 3/1/2012 5:34 AM ET
Member Since: 2/8/2012
Posts: 2
Back To Top

I feel foolish for asking this but what is a advanced reader copy book and how do I know I have one?



Date Posted: 3/1/2012 6:45 AM ET
Member Since: 6/26/2011
Posts: 1,358
Back To Top
An advanced reader copy or ARC is a copy that publishers will send out for review purposes to book blotters and others to see what they think. ARC's are usually PB, and they usually have some form of marking on the cover whether it is a sticker, marking on the spine, or sometimes on the back it has info such as the price and other things. Most often you will find ARC written somewhere in or on the book.
Date Posted: 3/1/2012 7:06 AM ET
Member Since: 2/8/2012
Posts: 2
Back To Top

ok thanks

Date Posted: 3/1/2012 5:43 PM ET
Member Since: 7/28/2006
Posts: 4,985
Back To Top

Sometimes it will says "advanced reader copy" or sometimes "review copy" or even occasionally "uncorrected proof".  But somewhere it usually has something along those lines with the words "not for sale" or "promotional purposes" as well. 

The other thing that is a dead giveaway is if you input the ISBN on the back of the book and it comes up as hardcover when you're holding a paperback.  This doesn't always mean it's an ARC, but it's a good clue to double check that you're not holding an ARC.

Date Posted: 3/2/2012 1:49 PM ET
Member Since: 12/28/2006
Posts: 14,177
Back To Top

Welcome to PBS Esther.  Not foolish at all, it's a very good question.  I was a longtime reader before I ran across or understood ARC's.

Some ARC's appear very similar to the final edition, they have the final artwork and are merely noted "ARC" somewhere on the cover.  I've seen others that are a standardized cover with typing on a solid color cover, one publisher is bright yellow while another is glossy white with purple ink.  I've even seen a few that are spiral bound.

All should be labeled ARC, Advanced Reader Copy, Uncorrected Proof  or otherwise noted that they are not the final edition. 

Another special edition are the freebies or promotional copies (often classics), these are entirely postable as long as the entire book is included and not just a chapter or two/partial.

Last Edited on: 3/2/12 1:51 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
Date Posted: 3/5/2012 11:56 AM ET
Member Since: 2/21/2009
Posts: 25
Back To Top

Just one nit to pick, Alisa, Review Copies are more likely to be a final retail edition of the book than an ARC. It's the full final retail for sale version but might come with extra papers like a press release or something.  Just a quirk of terminolgy :)

Also look out for "bound Galley" Those are usually from QUITE early in the editing process. My mom used to get UNBOUND galleys for review all the time...picture a ream of printer paper being mailed to you to read....arghh! :)