Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Advice needed: found a dmaaged book on my shelf

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: Advice needed: found a dmaaged book on my shelf
Date Posted: 10/3/2009 11:00 AM ET
Member Since: 5/30/2007
Posts: 400
Back To Top

Today I got ready to mail out a requested book. I flipped through it and noticed some small damage. I PMed the member and told her about the damage and asked if she wanted the book anyway, offering to throw in another book from my bookshelf for free, if she still wanted it. Really, the book never should have been listed on my shelf, but the damage was small, and I never noticed the it until I looked very carefully before mailing it.

My questions are: was this the right thing to do, or should I have just cancelled the transaction? Also, if she doesn't get back to me before the mailing deadline, would it be better to let it time out or to cancel it on my end?

Lesson learned: check books throughly before posting them!


--Mary Ann

Rick B. (bup) - ,
Date Posted: 10/3/2009 11:03 AM ET
Member Since: 11/2/2007
Posts: 2,625
Back To Top

Oh, you made a mistake. If she wants to cancel it, she will. I guess you could just cancel it and PM her, but she can still cancel.

Date Posted: 10/3/2009 11:10 AM ET
Member Since: 8/10/2005
Posts: 4,601
Back To Top

Yup, I would cancel the order. I check books over before I post them, and if it's one that's been on my shelf awhile (ie, not a wishlisted book that will be chosen within the next few days) I check again before accepting an order. I've had to cancel a couple of requests where my kids had borrowed a book from my PBS shelf after I'd posted it, and one time had gotten a stain on it, another time set the book in something liquid, so fortunately noticed that before I accepted the request and cancelled with an explanation.

If she answers back that she will accept your deal that you offered, that is fine to go through with if it's agreeable to both of you, but if she doesn't answer, I would cancel the request.

Cheryl

Date Posted: 10/3/2009 11:26 AM ET
Member Since: 5/14/2009
Posts: 6,852
Back To Top

I am with Cheryl  - If she doesn't answer the PM -  cancel the book, if she does and you are both in agreement that is ok too.   You did the right thing by sending her a message...it is in her court.

I think everyone has done this at one time or other.  I finished reading a book  -posted it and put it on the bookshelf.  It was requested a couple of weeks later - and guess what - spine damage.  I was like heck why didn't I see this!  I did the same as you and sent the requester a PM, they accepted my offer and all was happy with the world :)

Date Posted: 10/3/2009 2:00 PM ET
Member Since: 2/11/2007
Posts: 808
Back To Top

The books on my WL are ones I want to read, many are hard-to-find. I would want the option of continuing the transaction, and be very disappointed if the sender cancelled on me abruptly.

Date Posted: 10/3/2009 2:52 PM ET
Member Since: 8/16/2007
Posts: 15,201
Back To Top

Lesson learned: check books throughly before posting them! and again before accepting the request :)

If you don't hear back from her, cancel the request. Normally, if it is book readily available and I find damage when I pull it, I just cancel and let them go to the next person. Now that you have offered the deal, I would wait a little bit to see if she wants it; once you cancel her request will move on and you offer would be net her two copies. 

I think most of us do this after time. Many of the books I posted right when I joined the club are now getting requested. Though technically postable, I am finding small flaws that I don't like to send now that I have become more used to the site and the guidelines and more aware of what to look for in a book.

Date Posted: 10/3/2009 3:31 PM ET
Member Since: 12/28/2006
Posts: 14,177
Back To Top

Ditto, if she doesn't reply in a day or two, you cancel the request. 

Date Posted: 10/3/2009 5:37 PM ET
Member Since: 7/19/2008
Posts: 15,476
Back To Top

You should cancel it if you do not hear from her on the option of a free second book.  That way there is no risk of the requestor losing their place if there is a WL.

I've done this.  I post late at night when my server moves quickly.  But I mail in the day, when damage is more noticable.  I much rather a canceled book with a PM over a book timing out again and again.