Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Anyone receiving book requests?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
hardtack avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Anyone receiving book requests?
Date Posted: 10/31/2018 9:39 AM ET

I requested three books the day the site went back up. The books are "still awaiting members'" acceptance. Then I realized we're not receiving e-mail. So those members might not know the books were requested. I also saw a book  I sent was received, but I didn't receive an e-mail. Just noticed it was gone from the "Books I've Sent" and it was listed in my transaction archive as accepted. Oh, well...

Does the PBS staff just make changes without testing then on another server?  When I did Web sites for the University, we did so. We sometimes missed minor stuff, but all the essential stuff worked when we moved the new software in.

Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 10/31/2018 10:31 AM ET

Thomas - I've noticed that (and I think TPTB have addressed it, but still no solution) I'm not getting emails on books I've posted that have been accepted, so if one doesn't go to the PBS site but depends on the emails to get notifications, they're not getting them.  However, when I go to PBS the books do show up as being requested.

DH was in IT and ALWAYS ran a parallel program when he made major changes to any programs he wrote. In fact, he did it for at least several weeks if not months before letting the program go into operation. Don't know if PBS does that or not.  Pat

cyndij avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 10/31/2018 11:43 AM ET

I put my account on hold a couple months ago because I felt I was racking up too many credits. My wish list is on auto-request but I have not received anything from it for a few weeks; that's not usual but it's happened in the past.

There are so many things not working I have to think that the PBS IT folks don't use a "sandbox" when testing. I know there are a lot of moving parts, but I've never seen a biggish site like this have such major issues when doing an upgrade. And for it to go on so long, that's not a good sign. I like PBS, I want it to continue, I'll use it and pay dues, but I'm not going to allow a lot of credits to build up.

kathyk avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/31/2018 11:46 AM ET

I seem to have two requests stuck on my bookshelf. They haven't gone through all morning.

Generic Profile avatar
Dee
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/31/2018 12:00 PM ET

Nothing is working right since the update.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/1/2018 9:39 AM ET

I mailed out 14 books last week using quick credit and have only been credited for 4 of them. And I had a wish list offer canceled for not accepting in time when I KNOW I accepted it same day because I ordered 2 more books from the same sender. And, she told me she couldn't print the address label because she kept getting an error message.

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 11/1/2018 5:27 PM ET

All of these things are caused because once the site was put back up after being down for maintenance last weekend there were several functions that were not working.  I am told that even though updates and your wish list offer aren't seen on our computers, they are showing on the PBS computers.  So when things get fixed the updates should be done automatically.  Bren, you might want to contact the PBS team about your situation so you don't lose those credits or that wish list book.  Things are slowly improving and I was able to print a label today, so perhaps your sender may be able to do this now.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 11/1/2018 6:13 PM ET

Hubby has been developing websites for genealogy groups as a hobby (so far) and always uses a parallel site to test new things out before putting them out there.

hardtack avatar
Date Posted: 11/2/2018 8:07 PM ET

I requested three books on the day the system went back up. Yesterday, or was it the day before, I realized that the member might not have received the request. So I want to "books requested" and PMed them. Two got right back to me and said they hadn't received the e-mail and immediately 'accpeted' my request. The other is probably waiting the full five days before acknowledging---not sure why so many members seem to do this.

So, if you requested books recently, you might want to PM the members to ensure they got that message, although I understand some ISPs still might not be forwarding PBS messages.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 11/3/2018 10:16 AM ET

yes, I got an order yesterday.  Accepted it, printed label......everything seemed to work ok.

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/3/2018 3:20 PM ET

Most of my WL is on auto-request, that part seems to be working. A friends posted a couple of books directly to my WL, both show on my accounts page, one already en route, the other with label printed.

The emails do show on Club Communications on the choice bar on My Account page.

Edited to add: I've now received a request for a book I posted yesterday. 

Last Edited on: 11/6/18 8:12 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
ericah avatar
Date Posted: 11/3/2018 11:49 PM ET

I just received a book that had never been marked mailed. I went into my transactions and marked it received, but I suspect the system wouldn't let the sender mark it mailed.

onebooknerd avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/4/2018 7:48 PM ET

Still not getting any emails about books requested or received.  Even the responses from PBS for problems is not getting to my email, but I did find it in my club communications.  I have a book that I sent in October, it appears that the accounts was not active any more.  You can send a PM to them but you can't bring up their information on the site.  Waiting on PBS to respond to the issue.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 11/5/2018 9:02 AM ET

I am still not receiving emails. I have to sign on to look at my requests still as of this morning. Is this going to get fixed soon? Thanks