- "RAINSHADOW ROAD" by Lisa Kleypas (Friday Harbor #2) (A+++++) Lucy Marinn is a glass artist living in mystical, beautiful Friday Harbor, Washington, with a boyfriend, Kevin, who she believe is her soul mate. She has always had a magical side - a gift that finds its way into the breathtaking glasswork she creates - and she struggles to keep it contained. But when Lucy is blindsided by the most bitter kind of betrayal, she questions many of her choices. Her boyfriends leaves her and his new lover is none other than Lucy's own sister. Lucy's bitterness over this devastation is multiplied by the fact that she has constantly made the wrong choices in her romantic life. Meanwhile, facing the severe disapproval of Lucy's family, Kevin asks his friend Sam Nolan, a local vineyard owner on San Juan Island, to "romance" Lucy so that she can more easily move on. But when Sam and Lucy begin to feel real sparks between them, Lucy must ask herself if she can easily risk her heart again. As Lucy questions her beliefs about love, loyalty, ole patterns, mistakes and new beginnings, she explores the possibility that some things in life - even after being broken - can be re-made into something beautiful. And that is only by discovering who you really are that you can find the one who truly deserves you.
- "NOT QUITE DATING" by Catherine Bybee (Not Quite #1) (A++++++) Her love is all he wants for Christmas. Working the graveyard shift as a waitress, single mother Jessie Mann has no time to waste on a Texan with big dreams and a skinny wallet. And that's just what she sees when Jack Morrison ambles into the diner where she works. After a childhood of financial instability, Jessie swore she'd do better by her son. But with Christmas just around the corner, saying no to Jack and his cowboy good looks is easier said than done. As the heir to the Morrison luxury hotel empire, Jack Morrison is tired of women drooling over his wealth. He wants a woman who will love him for him - and he thinks he's found her when he meets Jessie. To be sure, he conceals his true identity and offers to help Jessie find the rich husband she seeks. But will Jack's matchmaking game backfire and cost him the ultimate Christmas gift?
- "FRENCH KISS" by Susan Johnson (New Author For Me) (A+++++) L.A. architect Nicole Lesadaux has just signed on to create a tree house for record producer Johnny Patrick's little girl, Jordi. The hunky single dad has given Nicky an unlimited budget - but she might have agreed to work for free, if it meant watching his sizzlingly sexy body by the pool every day. But mixing business with pleasure is one of Nicky's no-no's - so she focuses on making this music mogul the Taj Mahal of tree houses. Until Johnny's ex-wife makes off to Paris with their daughter. Since Nicky speaks the language, a desperate Johnny needs her help finding little Jordi. En route, sexual tensions run ever higher. Again and again, the two must fight back the urge to come together. And, as Nicky discovers, Johnny does know some French after all.
- "THE WONDER OF YOUR LOVE" by Beth Wiseman (New Author For Me) (Land of Canaan #2) (A+++++) Katie Ann lost the love of her life, then God offers her a new beginning in Colorado. Katie Ann Stoltzfus lives in the small Amish community of Canaan, Colorado. At forty she is widowed and raising her first child. But baby Jonas will never know his father and Katie Ann wonders if her Heavenly Father hasn't forgotten about her as well. Is it really God's plan for her to be a single parent? Eli Detweiler has come to Canaan for a wedding and a long vacation. Having raised six children following the death of his young wife, Eli is finally an empty-nester. He's enjoying the slower pace of having no one to care for but himself. When Katie Ann and Eli meet there is an instant connection,. Yet as strong as the attraction is, they both acknowledge that a romance would never work. He is done parenting, while she has just begun. But as their friendship slowly blossoms into feelings that are as frightening as they are intoxicating, Katie Ann and Eli question if the plans they made for themselves are in line with God's plans. Can Katie Ann entrust her heart to another man and rediscover the wonder of God's love?
- "BLAZE OF GLORY" by Catherine Mann (Special Operations #2) (A++++) Air Force captain Bobby "Postal" Ruznick wouldn't consider working a job that didn't occasionally scare him to death. But nothing gets under his skin like sexy profiler Dr. Grace Marie Lanier. Not that Dr. Uptight Lanier could tolerate his risk taking ways when they'd struck sparks off one another on assignment a year ago. Now it looks as though the two of them are stuck with each other once again. Being paired with Bobby's Special Ops crew sends Grace Marie's calm, collected existence into a tailspin. Not only does she have an assignment of utmost importance to complete...but she's got little recourse except to turn for help to the one man who threatens her orderly world the most - Bobby. Now with one week to stabilize a situation that could destroy the lives of countless others, Bobby and Grace Marie are about to learn that to save the world, they'll have to risk their hearts.
- "CASTING ABOUT" by Terri DuLong (Cedar Key #2) (A+++++) In the four years since Monica Brooks moved to Cedar Key, she's found a home, a husband and now a business to love. Taking over her mother's bustling knitting shop is a welcome challenge, but Monica's exciting plans are waylaid by unexpected news. Her husband's ex-wife has been deemed an unfit mother and custody of their eight-year-old daughter, Clarissa, is to be transferred to Adam. Going straight from honeymoon to motherhood - especially when she's unsure she wants children - leaves the normally even-keeled Monica doubting herself at every turn. Yet in a place like Cedar Key, nobody goes it alone. With help from friends and relatives, Monica, Clarissa and Adam begin to forge a close-knit family of their own - one that will need to be strong enough to withstand all the surprises set to unravel.
- "CONCEALED IN DEATH" by J.D. Robb (In Death #38) (A++++++) In a decrepit and long-empty New York building, a man begins the demolition process by swinging a sledgehammer into a wall When the dust clears, he finds two skeletons wrapped in plastic behind it. The man is Lieutenant Eve Dallas's billionaire husband, Roarke, and he summons her immediately. His latest real estate project is going to be on hold for awhile, because by the time Eve and her crew are finished searching the premises, there are twelve murders to be solved. After a little digging reveals that the place housed a makeshift shelter for troubled and homeless teenagers back in the midi-2040s, Eve tracks down the people who worked there. Between their recollections and the brilliant work of the force's new forensic anthropologist, Eve begins to put names and faces to the skeletal remains. They are all girls. A tattooed tough teenager who dealt in illegal drugs. The runaway daughter of a pair of well-to-do doctors. They all had their stories. And they all lost their chance for a better life. Everyone has something to hide. And when Eve discovers a stunning connection between the victims and someone she knows, she is even more driven to reveal the secrets of the place that was called Sanctuary - and to find the evil concealed in one human heart.
- "SEAVIEW INN" by Sherryl Woods ( Seaview Key #1) (A+++++) Hannah Matthews is undeniably tough - a single mom, a top-tier PR exec, a breast cancer survivor. She prides herself on being go-to Hannah, who can handle any crisis. But with her grandmother balking at going into a retirement home, her daughter unexpectedly pregnant and an old flame suddenly underfoot, Hannah is facing a few crises of her own. And being back home on Seaview Key is definitely adding to the stress. Luke Stevens understands crisis. While serving in Iraq, his wife dumped him for his best friend - with whom Luke shares his medical practice. Seaview Key seems like the perfect place to hide out for awhile. The last thing he expects is to fall in love...with his old hometown and with Hannah. Sometimes, though, the unexpected is just what it takes to heal the heart.
- "LITTLE NIGHT" by Luanne Rice (A++++) Clare Burke's life took a devastating turn when she tried to protect her sister, Anne, from an abusive and controlling husband and ended up serving prison time for assault. The verdict largely hinged on Anne's defense of her spouse - all lies - and the sisters have been estranged ever since. Nearly twenty years later, Clare is living a quiet life in Manhattan as an urban birder and nature blogger, when her niece, Grit, turns up on her doorstep. The two long for a relationship with each other, but they'll have to dig deep into their family's difficult past in order to build one. Together, they face the wounds inflicted by Anne and her husband and find in their new connection a place of healing When Clare begins to suspect her sister might have followed Grit to New York, she and her niece hold out hope for a long-awaited reunion with her...but will it be the joyous occasion they dream of? And will Clare and her longtime partner, Paul, whose complicated relationship has been sorely tested through the years, find a way back to love and to each other - again?
- "RESCUE ME" by Rachel Gibson (Lovett, Texas #3) (A+++++) She's 33, unmarried and stuffed into a Bubble Yum pink bridesmaid dress. And the whole town wants to fix her up with anyone with a dental plan...who's going to rescue Sadie Hollowell now? Everyone in Lovett, Texas, knows Sadie has always been a "notional" kind of gal. She got a notion to leave town ASAP and never visit her daddy (bless his heart) again. Now she's back and the notion to invite a good-looking, hard-muscled, total stranger to her cousin's wedding. Better a stranger than some of the losers she's dated. Vince Haven got his muscles the hard way - as a Navy SEAL in Afghanistan. He's staying in Lovett to visit his crazy aunt - the proprietor of the local Gas and Go. Before he can get the heck back out of the small town, his aunt makes him an offer he can't refuse. Maybe he'll stick around Lovett for awhile. Maybe he'll make a "go" of the Gas and Go. Maybe he'll rescue Sadie out of that pink dress!
- "AFTER THE STORM" by Maya Banks (Kelly Group International (KGI) #8) (A++++++) The Kelly Group International (KGI): A super-elite, top secret, Family-run business. Qualifications: High intelligence, rock-hard body, military background. Mission: Hostage/kidnap victim recovery. Intelligence gathering. Handling jobs the U.S, government can't. Over the years, Donovan Kelly has fought relentlessly for justice, the plight of women and children always holding a special place in his heart. Working side by side with his brothers, Donovan has witnessed firsthand the toil it's taken - physically, mentally and emotionally - on his loved ones and other innocent lives caught in the crossfire. What he never expects is for his next mission to happen right on his home turf - or for it to take a very personal turn. Picturesque Kentucky Lake is the perfect place for a soul in search of a safe harbor. A beautiful stranger arrives - desperate and on the run from a dark past closing in on her and the younger siblings she has vowed to protect. Donovan must now draw on every resource at his disposal - if he wants to save the woman and children who may prove to be his destiny.
- "THREE DAYS ON MIMOSA LANE" by Anna DeStefano (Seasons of the Heart #2) (A+++++) One day can change your life forever...Three days can transform a painful past into a beautiful tomorrow. Once, Sam Perry had it all. A loving marriage, an amazing job she adored as a preschool teacher and a beautiful home. She was safe, happy and secure. Then the unthinkable happened...Watching his once-carefree wife withdraw into herself was almost more than Brian Perry could handle. The only thing that kept him going was knowing that he loved her more than life itself. Moving her out of New York to Chandlerville, a small, quiet suburb of Atlanta, felt right. Anything to get her away from the memories of the buildings and her world crashing around her. Now, two sons and many years later, Sam cherishes the new life on Mimosa Lane that Brian built for them. Until lightning strikes twice...This time, Brian will need their entire community to help him win his wife back.
- "DANGEROUS PREY" by Lindsay McKenna (New Author For Me) (A++++) There's more than one way to fly...Expert pilot Kelly Trayhern thrives on risk - and nothing's more exciting that fighting fires, dropping water from her helicopter onto the blazes below. But on one especially perilous mission, the furious flames change her life in a way she never expected. Raptor rehabilitator Sky McCoy had his own dreams of flying, dreams that were brutally crushed when he was a teenager and only the quick actions of fearless Kelly Trahern saved his life. He had to leave her then, but he's never forgotten her - and when she needs him most, nothing will keep him away. Now the mysterious Native American is determined to heal Kelly's spirit as he heals his birds of prey. But can he save her life despite the evil threat he knows is looming, waiting to destroy everything he loves?
- "MICHAEL'S DISCOVERY" by Sherryl Woods (Devaney's #3) (A+++++) The sailor was edgy, stubborn...and the love of her life. For years, Kelly Andrews had waited for her big brother's best friend to notice her. Now navy SEAL Michael Devaney was back in Boston - as her bitter physical therapy patient...but still every inch her hero. She vowed he could be whole again - with a little help from his family and her healing touch. Broken in body and spirit, Michael seemed determined to defy Kelly and his reunited kin. Although he finally gazed as her with the passion she'd always craved, Michael held himself back, saying he was only half a man. How could Kelly convince her lifelong beloved that he was all the man she would ever need?
- "APE HOUSE" by Sara Gruen (A+++++) Isabel Duncan, a scientist at the Great Ape Language Lab, doesn't understand people, but apes she gets - especially the bonobos Sam, Bonzi, Lola, Mbongo, Jelani and Makena, who are capable of reason and communication through American Sign Language. Isabel feels more comfortable in their world than she's ever felt among humans - until she meets John Thigpen, a very married reporter writing a human interest feature. But when an explosion rocks the lab, John's piece turns into the story of a lifetime - and Isabel must connect with her own kind to save her family of apes from a new form of human exploitation.
- "DARK FIRE" by Elizabeth Lowell (McCall's #2) (A++++) The Andean Cloud Forest, Ecuador, mysterious, hauntingly beautiful - a land like nowhere else on earth. But a dangerous land, despite its beauty. A land to be feared. And respected. Like Trace Rawlings - a man who lives by his own rules. Ruthless, domineering, he takes what he wants. But Cynthia Ryan is used to someone trying to manipulate her, especially her powerful father. Surely she can handle this man. After all, he's just there to guide her through the treacherous forest. Thrown together by her father's ruthless ambition, first as adversaries, then as lovers. Trace and Cynthia force their way through the cloud forest - transformed by a passion as wild and steamy as the forest itself.
- "STRIKING DISTANCE" by Pamela Clare (I-Team #6) (A++++++) Her past is a secret - even to her. Discovering it will be the most dangerous move of her life. TV reporter Laura Nilsson, known as the "Baghdad Babe," spent eighteen months in an al Qaeda compound after being kidnapped live on the air. Two years later, she's still wondering why. No mission in Javier Corbray's fourteen years as a Navy SEAL affected him the way Laura's rescue did. No woman had stirred his protective instincts the way she did. And he wants her more than he's ever wanted anyone. As Laura and Javier's passion ignites, so does Laura's need to discover the mystery of her past. Especially when she learns that her abduction was not random - and that she's still a target for a killer with an impenetrable motive. Now Javier will have to rely on his skills to keep the woman he loves from being struck down before she dares uncover the truth.
- "JUST FOR KICKS" by Susan Andersen (Showgirls #2) (A+++++) Las Vegas showgirl Carly Jacobsen keeps finding out the hard way that her idea of fun differs radically from that of her neighbor Wolfgang Jones. Sure he looks incredible and he seems to have a thing for her legs, but the man's a robot. So what's with their chemistry? Wolf has noticed Carly's legs, because they're always tangled up in leashes attached to her ridiculous assortment of pets. She's a pain, she's wacky, she's always in the way and yet for some reason he can't keep her out of his thoughts. When a moment of weakness leads to some serious sheet-scorching sex, the two discover at least one area where they do both have fun. But outside the bedroom the stakes are getting higher and love might come down to a roll of the dice.
- "THE KEPT WOMAN" by Susan Donovan (A+++++) When a good-girl divorcee meets a bad-boy politician love wins in a landslide. Playing by the rules has left Samantha Monroe with an AWOL ex-husband, maxed-out credit cards and the task of raising three children on a hairstylist's salary. It's time for a new game plan. When Sam learns that politician Jack Tolliver needs someone to play the part of his fiancee for six months in return for a generous paycheck, she's ready to sign up on the spot. Jack needs Sam and her kids to help tone down his image from womanizing cad to dependable dad. But he was expecting Sam to be a frumpy single mom, not a wickedly smart, sexy redhead. Keeping nosey newshounds from discovering that his engagement is a charade is going to be a tough job, but one mind-blowing kiss from Sam and suddenly Jack is ready to put in all the overtime necessary. Now, with scheming opponents itching to bring Jack down, Sam's ex returning to stir up trouble, one stubborn preschooler, two squabbling teenagers, a crazy dog and some out-of-this sex, Jack and Sam are discovering that playing make-believe can be complicated - but not nearly as much as falling in love.
- "THANKLESS IN DEATH" by J.D. Robb (In Death #37) (A+++++) (abridged audio CD) The year 2060 is drawing to a close and Thanksgiving is just around the corner. It's a time for loved ones to come together. But sometimes the deepest hatreds seethe within the closest relationships and blood flows faster than water. For Lieutenant Eve Dallas of the NYPSD, the job is a useful reminder of what she has to be grateful for this season. Hosting Roark's big Irish family for the holiday may be challenging, but it's a joyful improvement on her own dark childhood. Other couples aren't as lucky as Eve and Roark. The Reinholds, for example, are lying on the floor of their Downing Street apartment, stabbed and bludgeoned almost beyond recognition. Those who knew them are stunned - and even more heartbroken by the overwhelming evidence that they were murdered by their own son. Twenty-six-year-old Jerry hadn't exactly made a good impression on all the bosses who fired him or the girlfriend who dumped him but they didn't think he was capable of this. Turns out Jerry is not only capable of brutality but taking a liking to it. With the money he's stolen from his parents and a long list of grievances, he intends to finally make his mark on the world. Eve and her team already know the who, how and why of this murder. What they need to pinpoint is where Jerry's going to strike next.
- "A PROMISE AT BLUEBELL HILL" (Valentine Valley, Colorado #4) by Emma Cane (A+++++) From the moment Secret Service Agent Travis Beaumont strides into the town and through the door of Monica Shaw's flower shop, she feels a sizzle of attraction. After years of putting everyone else's needs first, Monica is ready to grab hold of life. If she can just persuade the ultimate protector to let his own walls down for once. The President's son is getting married in Valentine Valley and Travis should be avoiding all distractions...not fantasizing about a forthright, sexy-as-hell florist. Especially when she's keeping secrets that could jeopardize his assignment. But just this once, Travis is tempted to put down the rule book and follow his heart - right to Monica's door. Roses are red, violets are blue and in Valentine Valley, love will always find you.
- "LEAPING HEARTS" by J.R. Ward writing as Jessica Bird (A+++++) A.J. Sutherland knows her own mind. She also knows a champion when she sees him. Everyone thinks A.J. Sutherland is crazy to buy a rogue stallion that no rider or trainer has been able to tame. But if anybody has the hustle to make something out of that hell-raiser, it's A.J. She can't do it alone, however, so she goes after the great Devlin McCloud, an equestrian legend with a bad leg - and a worse attitude. Devlin recognizes a fighter when he sees one - and that horse isn't a wallflower, either. Before he knows it, he's got a wild stallion in his empty stable and a hotheaded, heavenly-bodied rider sleeping on his couch. But can he get all three of them through the championship in one piece? This passion he's found with his rider is compromising training - and at this level of competition, any distraction is not just unprofessional but downright deadly.
- "FOOL FOR LOVE" by Beth Ciotta (Cupcake Lovers #1) (New Author For Me) (A++++++) She's craving a sweet new life...and he's the icing on the cupcake. Call her a fool, but chef-in-training Chloe Madison wants to have her cake and eat it too. So when her boyfriend dumps her for some French tart, she decides to start over from scratch - with a new life and job in Sugar Creek, Vermont. What could be sweeter than cooking for an eccentric lady who's crazy for desserts? What could be more tempting than joining a club called the Cupcake Lovers? Just one thing: local business-hunk Devlin Monroe. Although he's the grandson of Chloe's fun-loving boss, Devlin Monroe is all work and no play. Micro-managing the family business, he doesn't have time to indulge in life's sweetest pleasures - until he meets Chloe. How can he resist such a vibrant, beautiful woman who brings so much passion to the table? But when old grudges and secrets threaten to destroy the Cupcake Lovers, Devlin must decide if his feelings for Chloe are a recipe for disaster - or a sinfully delicious ever-after.
- "THE TROUBLE WITH LOVE" by Beth Ciotta (Cupcake Lovers #2) (A+++++) A constant craving...an irresistible desire. Rocky Monroe's bad luck is legendary. So it stands to reason that during a quick trip to New York on behalf of the Cupcake Lovers' forthcoming book, she winds up in the arms of the one man she never wants to see again. So what if he's also the man she can't stop dreaming about? Mouthwatering Jayce Bello has always been Rocky's biggest mistake and she's not going to let history repeat itself - unless she gets a new taste of his delicious kisses. When Jayce left Sugar Creek ten years ago, it was the right thing to do - for him and for Rocky, his best friend's little sister. But one passionate night with gorgeous, reckless Rocky is enough to prove that she's the missing ingredient in his happiness. Now, with scandalous secrets souring the sweetness of the Cupcake Lovers club, Jayce needs to convince Rocky that their love is something to savor.
CURRENTLY READING -
- "The Immortality Clause" by Abigail Hawke (The Immortelle #1) (New Author For Me) (ebook that I received to to a review for the author)
- "Wounded Wings" by Shauna Allen (Cupid Chronicles #3) (PDF book I received in return for a review)
- "A Sandcastle Christmas" by J.D. Favor (The Edge of Texas #5) (New Author For Me) (Kindle)
- "What She Left Behind" by Ellen Marie Wiseman (New Author For Me)
- "At the River's Edge" by Mariah Stewart (Chesapeake Diaries #7)
CURRENTLY LISTENING TO -
- "Whiskey Beach" by Nora Roberts (unabridged audio CD)
Last Edited on: 4/30/14 2:56 AM ET - Total times edited: 38