Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - eBook readers eBook readers

Topic: Article: Kindle and Nook users bashing high priced e-books

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
jemedwards avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal10th Anniversary PBS Cruise Attendee medal
Subject: Article: Kindle and Nook users bashing high priced e-books
Date Posted: 4/7/2011 10:05 AM ET

I can even get my mind around paying more for the ebook than the actual book.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-20051201-82.html

Katie1 avatar
Date Posted: 4/7/2011 10:10 AM ET

So far mine have been cheeper than a PB!  I have noticed IF you wait for the PB release the Price of the eBook drops! 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/7/2011 2:23 PM ET

Thanks for posting the article. I think that B & N and amazon need to also take a bit of responsibility in how they lured buyers with the "most books are $9.99. I actually didn't 

want a e-book reader, but my  kids thought it would be a great gift because I am an avid reader and they thought that I would save money by purchasing e-books. Of course, I've

not told them that still buy books via online or in the store, because I can find better deals. I occasionally buy books for my kindle when I can find a good deal. My kids also didn't realize that 

the lending was limited to "one" lend and that I wouldn't be able to swap books using the kindle...they had good intentions : )

Generic Profile avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/7/2011 6:43 PM ET

Last Edited on: 5/7/11 3:13 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/7/2011 10:23 PM ET

That's crazy!  I certainly wouldn't buy an ebook that I could get cheaper in print.  I occasionally splurge and spend over $5 for an ebook but never more than $7 or $8.  I try and keep it under $5.

Greycat133 avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 4/8/2011 2:45 AM ET

I think that B & N and amazon need to also take a bit of responsibility in how they lured buyers with the "most books are $9.99.

I remember when the Kindle first came out this is the way it was.  All Kindle books I looked at were $9.99, period.  And then Amazon and MacMillan had their little spat and introduced the "agency" books and now, only about half those on my "to buy" list are $9.99 or belo.  Most of them are above that. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/8/2011 2:56 AM ET

Last Edited on: 5/11/11 6:58 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/8/2011 9:49 AM ET

All great responses to threads. I so agree. I feel bad that my kids purchased me the kindle (my son bought himself the nook color) and I really don't use it as they thought I would. I've downloaded 

all of the free classics, dictionaries...but I won't pay over $7.99, the same that I would pay for a paperback. I've never bought a hardcover book. Something else that was mentioned in the article was the 

fear that with these e-readers book would disappear. It's never going to happen. I still buy all of my cookbooks and teacher related books, as hard copies. Also noted, we don't own these books. You can't share them, sell them...it's a paperfile. If anything the publishers I would think would be making MORE money than losing money. I was really surprised by the responses that the article received. 

FlouncePony avatar
Date Posted: 4/9/2011 1:53 AM ET

I also think the pricing is ridiculous. Though I do understand the argument that if they price the e-book low right away, they will not be able to sell enough hardcover books. The publishers are (supposedly) trying to keep the brick-and-mortar stores in business by giving them a fair fight against the e-readers.

They really need to just bite the bullet and delay publishing e-books for the first month or two, and give the hardcovers a chance to sell a bit. Some people that primarily use an e-reader would gripe and moan, but you can't have everything.

If movies were released on DVD at the same time they premiered in theatres, movie theatres would be out of business very quickly.

Last Edited on: 4/9/11 1:56 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/9/2011 8:15 PM ET

They really need to just bite the bullet and delay publishing e-books for the first month or two, and give the hardcovers a chance to sell a bit.

This is a great idea and it makes sense...

esjro avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/9/2011 11:01 PM ET

See, the thing they don't get is that there is a price tipping point for books, regardless of the format. There's a reason why the hardcovers can't and never really went at $25. Then when Borders and Walmart started discounting them 40%, it took them to $15 and that's where people will pay. Paperback seems to be around 7.99 (adjusted for inflation), or 1/3 of the published cover price for hardcover, with the understanding of a delay of about a year.

Nancy is right on about this!  I buy a lot of new books (probably more than I should given the size of my TBR), but I can't remember the last time I paid cover price for a book.  It was probably while stranded in an airport somewhere!

Greycat133 avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 4/10/2011 11:58 AM ET

I can't remember the last time I paid cover price for a book.  It was probably while stranded in an airport somewhere!

I think that's the last time I bought a cover price book as well.  It was a MMPB movie tie-in for The Other Boleyn Girl.  And then I didn't end up enjoying it at all because I was so grumpy about how much it was. 

FlouncePony avatar
Date Posted: 4/10/2011 3:05 PM ET

Just wanted to let you guys know:

There is a bookstore in most airports (don't remember the name) that gives you a 50% refund if you return the book to any of their locations. I don't know what they do with the used books because they only seem to sell new ones. So far, I've found the store in Philadelphia, Atlanta, Las Vegas, and Orlando.

Shoot, I wish I remember the name. I have one of their bookmarks around the house somewhere...

Last Edited on: 4/10/11 3:07 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/10/2011 10:13 PM ET

So far I haven't paid more for an ebook than the listed price for the papr copy, but I've only bought a few. I'd be likely to order a paper copy if the ebook price is more than the paper copy plus shipping. Our local Barnes and Noble rarely has books that I"m wanting, so I always have to order online.

I can see occassions where I might be willing to pay more for the convenience of the ebook. One of the first I ordered was one  my son needed for school lthat wasn't available locally. I'd been busy and checked B&N too late, so if I was going to get it before he needed it, I'd have had to pay for two day shipping. As it turned out, the ebook was cheapr than the paper copy, so I just ordered that and had it right away for him to start reading. In similar circumstances - when one of the kids needs a book for school asap - I'd be willing to pay more to have it show up on my ereader right away. That instant gratification my be what they are banking on when they set prices higher for new releases of ebooks (thought I bought The Land of the Painted Caves for $3 less than the paper copy and it's a much anticipated book that just came out). I think some people will pay more to have it the second it comes out or right away without waiting for shipping or looking for it in the brick and morter store.

I dunno. New to the ereader really. And would have had one sooner, but we had noticed that most of the prices weren't really better for the ebooks. I think I've just been lucky so far.

As for trading, I haven't gotten a book from pbs is quite awhile so while I enjoy this site I don't really depend on it for books anymore.

myownlittleworld avatar
Date Posted: 4/10/2011 11:59 PM ET

I kind of got suckered into it myself, due to misleading sales pitch in store during Christmas season.  I had also seen the prices as listed on eBay, and didn't know what they were to go for as they should be priced - publisher set price.

I have fallen to picking up what is listed free on B&N, and other e-book sites online.  As for highly popular series or prolific authors, the price often does not even come down after multiple years.  I also noticed that the new Sookie book that is to come out in May is actually a few cents cheaper in hardcover than it is in Kindle edition.  Ridiculous!!!

I like my nook, but if I had known the truth about the pricing (and the lend me feature, as well as read-in-store being only 1 hour - not what they said), I wouldn't have brought it up to my DH, therefore it wouldn't have been under the tree.

Since I have it, I am getting addicted to the convenience, but I still refuse to pay full price (only did it once).

SandyP avatar
Date Posted: 4/11/2011 12:42 AM ET

I just paid for 2 e-books 7.99 same as I might have paid in paperback just because my Kindle is new to me..I DO buy a lot of books and this will not contnue at those prices.....I  am also a member of BN and get the 10% discount so I can get the same book for 7,19 and sometimes Walmart has my books in the 5 and 6 dollar range so I think they ought to wise up and lower some prices

Clarinda avatar
Date Posted: 4/14/2011 1:41 PM ET

My personal price limit for Ebooks is $9.99.  (I use the Nook app on an Ipad.)  Actually I've only "bought" one book because I had B&N gift cards, but I stretched those cards by not going over $9.99.  I found a lot of books I wanted at or under that price and then there are the freebies.  I have never seen a Free table at a brick and mortar bookstore so that is a big advantage of Ereaders to me.  If a book I want is over $9.99 in Nook format, I put it on my "someday" list for when it gets older and (hopefully) gets reduced in price.  The one book I actually paid money for was a business book DH needed for a class.  The printed version was $26.00 and the Nook version was $12.99.  I just wish he'd hurry up and finish the darn thing so I can have my Ipad back!

NicoleY avatar
Date Posted: 4/14/2011 5:21 PM ET

While I know others have, I didn't buy my Nook (or my Sony back in 2007) for cheaper books. I bought them both for convenience as I travel a lot for work.  I would pay the same for any ebook that I would pay for a paper copy pretty much.  I have paid full cover price before (as mentioned in airports and such), but don't usually end up having to do that.  I know that I'm probably the odd one, but the fighting over the prices doesn't really effect me.  If I want the book bad enough, I'll either pay the $15 (or whatever the cost) for an ebook or a paper copy.  If I don't want it bad enough, I'll wait for it to come available at my library and/or on PBS.  I do get all the freebies I can find of the books that look interesting to me, and have yet to work my way through all of them.

Katie1 avatar
Date Posted: 4/15/2011 2:26 PM ET

Actualy Except for the Free eBooks ALL eBook store Prices are the SAME!   I have been on B&N Amazon Kobo & Sony [Looking fo more eBook stores IF you know any PM me!]  Anyway ALL prices for the Same books are the Same on ALL sites.   So it goes back to what they say Its the Publishers setting the prices for eBooks!  At least in the brick stores they will lower prices & put books on sale & send coupons to draw in customers!  But some people have no choice.  I cant Hold a HB Nor see to read a PB anymore.  So since I enjoy reading then I have no choice but to buy AT their prices. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/15/2011 8:31 PM ET

Last Edited on: 5/19/11 11:57 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Katie1 avatar
Date Posted: 4/16/2011 12:40 AM ET

Nancy I believe thats why a lot of people with eReaders are still member here!  1 cr for a copy here makes more sence to spend til the high ebook comes down in price LOL  I trying to only buy Authors I know I love & re-read! 

classicana avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 4/18/2011 10:55 PM ET

Many, many books aren't going to see ebook form until they are old enough to be public domain.  For most of my favorite authors, that won't be in my lifetime!  So the hundreds of books that I have read and re-read many times over the years will continue to take up shelf space until I'm totally unable to enjoy them.

I have yet to buy an ebook - there are SO MANY in the libraries that I'm just starting to work my way through, and with three libraries to order from, I'm having no problem keeping some on hand.  Then all the freebies...  If/when something I want to keep is available as an ebook, I'll buy it.

I do love my ereader, though.  Today I had a dental appointment and arrived about 30 minutes early.  What a wonderful thing to have a choice of 52 books in my shoulderbag, and the entire collection weighed less than 8 oz!!

Katie1 avatar
Date Posted: 4/19/2011 1:14 AM ET

One of the reasons I went to eReader is Moving!  Last time we moved We had over 120 boxes of Just Books & DVDs!!  Now all my movies are in my computer as MP4 & Most of my books are Audio or ebooks LOL 

mahbaar avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 4/19/2011 3:13 PM ET

The article is not necessarily correct in saying that the brick-and-mortar stores will disappear. With B&N, you can purchase a gift card at your local store to use for buying e-books. It works fantastically and it's like purchasing your books at your local store by feeding the cash in on a local level.

I agree that paper books won't disappear. I can't imagine giving my Nook Color to an infant for reading, so board books and books for very young readers will be around for a long time. Cookbooks also don't work well for the kitchen (can't add notes, print out or make photocopies of recipes). Then there's the book store hangout model that has become the norm (coffee shops in the stores and designing the place for loitering).

When it comes to the price of books, I'll buy it if it's my book club's read (mainly because the bulk of my reading time is on the treadmill and it's hard to read a paper copy on there when you're a klutz). I'll buy it if its cost is equivalent to MMPB price or sometimes TPB price. But overall, I don't consider a book purchase an item purchase. I consider it an entertainment purchase. If I think I'll get $13 worth of entertainment from it, I'll fork out the dough if I can read it right away. If not, I wait until the price drops or I'm ready to read. I personally get more from a $13 e-book than I do from most movies or other entertainment, so that pretty much sums it up for me.

ETA: I noticed that the Atlas Shrugged e-book is going for $19.99. I'll have to look and see what the ratings are for that!

Last Edited on: 4/19/11 3:15 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
myownlittleworld avatar
Date Posted: 4/19/2011 9:43 PM ET

I just joined mobilereads, and it seems to have so much to consider about eReadership, that it is overwhelming.  They have a wiki that notates various sites to go to for books.  "Listening" to bits and pieces of threads makes me think that there are resources to use to maximize the shopping dollar.  Right after I got my nook, I found a site that had a credit accrue program.  For every so many books, you got a "free" one (IIRC).  I forgot to save my bookmarks before I upgraded the OS on my laptop, so I don't know what it is, and can't seem to locate it.

Page: