- "A LITTLE BIT COUNTRY" by Debbie Macomber (A++++) When a city woman meets a country man...Rorie Campbell has a pleasant, predictable life in San Francisco, where she's seeing a pleasant, predictable man. Then, while she's on vacation, her car breaks down on an Oregon country road and horse rancher Clay Franklin comes to her rescue. Rorie soon discovers that a city girl can fall in love with a country man. And the other way around...But Clay has no right to return her feelings because he's engaged to another woman! Is he willing to change that situation for Rorie - and himself? "BLACKBERRY SUMMER" by RaeAnne Thayne (Hope's Crossing, Colorado #4) (A+++++) When a small-town woman falls for a big-city cop...Shop owner and single mom Claire Bradford has just suffered a serious car accident in her hometown of Hope's Crossing, Colorado. She certainly has no time for romance, or so she tells herself- especially when Riley McKnight comes back to town as the new chief of police. The accident forces Claire to rely on other people, including Riley, and she realizes for the first time that things have to change - in her own life and in the town, where a string of robberies has damaged the residents' sense of community. Riley is the man who can bring about the change everybody needs!
- "RUNNING SCARED" by Christy Reece (Last Chance Rescue Elite #3) (book I received from the author on Facebook) (A++++++) To have a future, they must face the past together. Riley Ingram escaped hell, taking secrets with her that could get her killed. As an Elite operative for Last Chance Rescue, Riley's single-minded focus is on saving others from a similar fate. A survivor of unspeakable horror, she hides behind a cool mask of indifference, bowing to never let her guard down again. A family tragedy brought Justin Kelly to LCR. Saving lives and protecting others is a way of life for him. The phenomenal connection he shares with his intensely private LCR partner surprises everyone but Justin. He knows that beneath Riley's icy facade is a warm, caring woman with tremendous depth. When the past comes calling, colliding with the present, the LCR duo have no choice but to face it together. Relying on each other's strength and courage, they'll work to destroy one of the most horrific monsters LCR has ever faced. But some secrets can't stay hidden. And sometimes plans fall apart. It'll take every bit of their grit and fortitude for Riley and Justin to stay alive to have the future together they're just now realizing they want more than anything.
- "LAST CHANCE FAMILY" by Hope Ramsey (Last Chance #8) (A+++++) Mike Taggart has always been willing to take a gamble. But these stakes are just way too high - there's no way he's prepared to become a legal guardian to his five-year-old niece. His only option is to head from Las Vegas to Last Chance to sort things out as quickly as possible. Problem is, he arrives to find an inconsolable little girl, her sick cat and a gorgeous veterinarian he can't get out of his mind. Charlene Polk has two talents: healing sick critters and falling in love with the wrong man. Mike has trouble written all over him, but she can't leave him in the lurch. And the more time she spends with the sexy high roller, the more she sees that this ready-made family is the best stroke of luck they've ever had.
- "HER LUCKY COWBOY" by Jennifer Ryan (Montana: Ryan Men #3) (New Author For Me) (A++++++) Champion rodeo rider Dane Bowden is eight seconds from winning under the Vegas lights, one last hurrah before reluctantly returning to his family's Montana ranch. But his bull has other plans. When Dane wakes up, he's sure he's died and gone to heaven...because the doctor who comes to his aid is the same girl who saved his life and disappeared years ago. Bell would do anything for Dane. He's the fantasy that always kept her going. A child genius hidden away by her family. Bell was the secret no one talked about, the girl no one wanted. Despite finding success as a young surgeon, she's still the awkward girl who's never had a boyfriend. So why does Dane, a notorious playboy and sizzling-hot cowboy, insist on taking her on a real date? Bell is the only woman in Dane's heart. When a rodeo rivalry turns deadly, it's his turn to save Bell's life - because he sure as hell won't lose his guardian angel again.
- "ASK ME WHY" "MIDNIGHT BET" by Jodi Thomas (Harmony, Texas #8.5) (A+++++) When cousins Rick and Lizzie Matheson of Harmony, Texas, wind up on the wrong side of an attempted shooting, they know they're in deep. Still, the biggest danger is losing their hearts - Rick to an old flame and Lizzie to an old friend she'd never noticed before. "YOU'LL BE MINE" by Marie Force (Green Mountain #4.5) (A+++++) "WRAPPED AROUND YOUR FINGER" by Shirley Jump (New Author For Me) (Southern Belle Cookbook #0.5) (A+++++) Maggie McBride is just one of the guys in the hard-knocks world of construction. Until she dared to ask Nick Patterson to a wedding, enticing her to break down some walls - and risk falling in love. "CAROLINA HEART" by Virginia Kantra (Dare Island #4.5) (A++++) Determined to leave her wild past behind her, Cynthie Lodge is forging a new life for herself and her daughters - one that's man-free and drama-free. But not everyone is so eager to let go of the past. When sexy loner Max Lewis returns to Dare Island, seeing Cynthie again rekindles his feelings for his high school crush. Now he must convince her to take another chance on love.
- "THE GREAT ESCAPE" by Susan Elizabeth Phillips (Wynette, Texas #7) (A++++++) Lucy Jorik is a champ at not embarrassing her family - not surprising since her mother is one of the most famous women in the world. But now Lucy has done just that. Instead of saying "I do" to the most perfect man she's ever known, Lucy flees the church and hitches a ride on the back of a beat-up motorcycle with a rough-looking stranger who couldn't be more foreign to her privileged existence. At his beach on a Great Lakes island, Lucy hopes to find a new direction...and unlock the secrets of a man who reveals nothing about himself. But as the hot summer days unfold amid scented breezes and sudden storms, she discovers a passion that could change her life forever.
- "WILLOW BROOK ROAD" by Sherryl Woods (Chesapeake Shores #13 (A++++++) Spirited, spontaneous Carrie Winters has grown up under the watchful eyes of not only her grandfather Mick O'Brien, but the entire town of Chesapeake Shores. Now that she's home from Europe, a glamorous fashion career behind her and her heart broken, there seem to be far too many people watching to see if she'll live up to the expectations her family has for her. As if that weren't enough pressure, Carrie finds herself drawn to sexy, grief-stricken Sam Windslow, who is yearning for someone to help him raise the nephew who's unexpectedly come into his life after a tragedy. With her own life in turmoil, is Carrie really ready to take on a new career and a new man? Or is Sam exactly what she needs to create the strong, loving family she's always wanted?
- "THE LIGHT OF HIDDEN FLOWERS" by Jennifer Handford (New Author For Me) (unabridged audio CD) (A+++++) Book-smart Melissa Fletcher lives a predictable life in her hometown, working behind the scenes for her charismatic father in a financial career that makes perfect sense. But when her dad is diagnosed with Alzheimer's, Missy is forced to take charge as his primary caregiver and the principal of the firm. After her father's death, Missy finds a letter from him in which he prises her for being a dutiful daughter but admonishes her for not taking any risks in life. Devastated, Missy packs her suitcase and heads for Italy. There she meets a new friend who proposes a radical idea. Soon, Missy finds herself in impoverished India, signing away her inheritance and betting on a risky plan while rekindling a lost love.
- "NEVER DIE ALONE" by Lisa Jackson (New Orleans: Bentz and Montoya #8) (A++++++) Never drop your guard, never close your eyes...or you'll never see him coming...It should be the best day of their lives. Too bad they never get to see it. On the cusp of their twenty-first birthday, he strikes. His victims are always twins, their ritualistic murders planned in exquisite detail, down to the moment when they breathe their last together. A possibly innocent man is in prison and Brianna Hayward needs to convince the New Orleans police. Not just to free her cousin, but to save others who will suffer until the true culprit is found. Reporter Jase Bridges is intrigued. It's a story that could make his career - as long as Brianna never guesses the secret in Jase's past. Detective Rick Bentz has doubts about the "21" conviction when he worked the case in L.A. Now the real murderer may be loose in Bentz's backyard. Twin sisters from All Saints College have vanished, on the eve of their twenty-first birthday. And as Bentz and his partner, Reuben Montoya, desperately follow the trail, a killer prepares to unite his next victions in death forever.
- "TOGETHER FOR CHRISTMAS" "5-B POPPY LANE" by Debbie Macomber (Cedar Cove, Washington #5.5) (A++++) You'll meet Helen Shelton, her granddaughter, Ruth, and Ruth's husband, Paul. You'll hear the story of how they met - and they'll share Helen's breathtaking adventures during the Second World War. "WHEN WE TOUCH" by Brenda Novak (Whiskey Creek, California #0.5) (A++++++) Join in the annual Victorian Days celebration and eavesdrop on sisters Olivia and Noelle. Find out how Noelle stole Olivia's fiance - and what happened next! "WELCOME TO ICICLE FALLS" by Sheila Roberts (Icicle Falls, Washington #9.5) (A++++) Muriel Sterling tells you her story about falling for a handsome stranger. Her dad expected her to take over Sweet Dreams, the family's chocolate company, but Muriel had sweet dreams of her own. "STARSTRUCK" by Raeanne Thayne (Cowboys of Cold Creek, Idaho #0.5) (A++++) Visit with former Hollywood stuntman Justin Hartford, his daughter, Ruby and wife, Ashley. Ruby and her friends love the story of how her dad and her new mom met.
- "LAST CHAIN ON BILLIE: HOW ONE EXTRAORDINARY ELEPHANT ESCAPED THE BIG TOP" by Carol Bradley (New Author For Me) (A+++++) Against the backdrop of a glittering but brutal circus world, this book charts the history of elephants in America, the inspiring story of the Elephant Sanctury and the spellbinding tale of Billie - a resilient elephant who defied the system even as she struggled to overcome a life of abuse and never lost sight of the life she was meant to have. Left in the wild, Billie would have spent her days surrounded by family, free to wander the jungles of Asia. Instead, traders captured her as a baby and shipped her to America, where she learned to carry humans, stand on a tub and balance on one leg - the full repertoire of elephant tricks. For decades, Billie crisscrossed the country, dazzling audiences as she performed breathtaking stunts. But behind the scenes she lived a life of misery: traveling in trucks, chained for hours on end, barely able to move, giving eight-minute performances under harsh lights and to the sounds of blaring music. And worse. Finally she got a lucky break. As part of the largest elephant rescue in American history, Billie wound up at a sanctary for performing elephants in Tennessee, able once more to roam through open meadows and share her days with a herd. She would never be beaten again. However, overcome with anxiety, she withdrew from the other elephants and refused to let anyone remove a chain still clamped around her leg. Her caregivers began to wonder if Billie's emotional wounds could ever heal. Billie's compelling story is a testament to the intelligence, emotional complexity and remarkable strength of all elephants, captive or free.
- "THE COLOR OF LIGHT" by Karen White (A+++++++) At thirty two, Jillian Parrish finally finds the courage to take charge of her life and discover what really lives in the dark spaces under her bed. Pregnant and recently divorced, she takes her seven-year-old daughter to seek refuge and solace on Pawleys Island, South Carolina - Jillian's only source of happy childhood memories. Summers spent at her grandmother's beach house were Jillian's sanctuary from indifferent parents until her best friend, Lauren Mills, disappeared. Linc Rising, Lauren's boyfriend and Jillian's confidant, was a suspect in Lauren's disappearance. Although Jillian never doubted his innocence, her parents whisked her back home to Atlanta, and she never got a chance to tell him. Now a resentful Linc is back on Pawleys Island, renovating the old Mills house. As ghosts of the past return to haunt them, and Jillian's daughter begins having eerie conversations with an imaginary friend named Lauren, Jillian and Linc will uncover the truth about Lauren and about the feelings they have kept buried for sixteen years.
- "UNLUCKY 13" by James Patterson and & Maxine Paetro (Woman's Murder Club #13) (A+++++) The Women's Murder Club is stalked by a killer with nothing to lose. San Francisco detective Lindway Boxer loves her life as a new mother. But her happy world is shattered when the FBI sends Lindsay a photo of a beautiful woman at a stoplight. All Lindsay sees it the psychopath behind those seductive eyes: Mackie Morales, the most deranged and dangerous mind the Women's Murder Club has ever encountered. Morales had posed as a summer intern with SFPD while committing gruesome murders on the side. Now Morales is back and her taste for revenge is stronger than every.
- "LONG, TALL CHRISTMAS" by Janet Dailey (A+++++) Facing foreclosure on her California home, widowed Kylie Wayne is grateful to accept her aging aunt Muriel's offer to come back to small-town Branding Iron, Texas and help out on the ranch. but when an early storm rolls in, Kylie's dream of a perfect Christmas for her kids is blown away with the unexpected snow. Comfort and joy seem unlikely, unless a certain long, tall Texan with a bad boy's charm can rope some holiday cheer. No one imagined restless, independent Shane Taggart would work his parents' ranch all these years. But with his father gone, Shane is ready to sell his land and see the world - until sweet, sexy Kylie shows up. The dutiful good girl he remembers has turned into a spirited woman and Shane wants to give her the warm family future she longs for, puppy and all. One kiss under the mistletoe may not convince her, but Shane knows that love is a gift that will last forever.
- "CAPTIVATED" by Nora Roberts (Donovan Legacy #1) (A+++++) (unabridged audio CD) Fascinating and irresistible, the mysterious Donovan cousins share a secret that's been handed down through the generations - a secret that sets them apart from ordinary beings. His interest in her was purely professional...Or so he told himself, Nash Kirkland had sought out the aluring Morgana Donovan to help him research his latest screenplay, though the hardheaded skeptic didn't believe for a minute she was what she professed to be. But, as Morgana revealed herself to him, Nash found himself falling under her bewitching spell. Nash had never trusted his feelings and always kept them in check. So how could he be sure the irresistible passion he felt for Morgana was real and not just some conjurer's trick?
- "DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE" "Wonderment in Death" by J.D. Robb (In-Death #41.5) (A+++++++) "ALICE AND THE EARL IN WONDERLAND" by Mary Blayney (A++++) "iLOVE" by Elaine Fox (New Author For Me) (A++++) "A TRUE HEART" by Mary Kay McComas (A++) "FALLEN" by R.C. Ryan (A++++)
- "ROCK YOUR HEART OUT" by Crystal Kaswell (Sinful Serenade #3) (listening on an Audible app on my cell phone) (A++++) Willow Denton needs to get out of town fast. Her only option is joining her brother's band on tour. Ten weeks with misbehaved men doesn't sound so bad. Until she walks in on the drummer naked and sporting a spanking new piercing. There's no way the player rock star will ever think of her as more than his BFF's little sister. Better to focus on her photography. As soon as she stops thinking about him in her bed, against the wall, in the backseat of his car. Sinful Serenade drummer Tom Steele is a wrecking ball. Bossy. Pushy. Hot as the molten center of the Earth. He's not afraid to use his body or his fame to get what he wants - a different girl every night of the week (and three on Sunday). The man may be a whore but he can control himself. He's going to keep an eye on Willow, be her friend. That's it. Their sizzling sexual chemistry makes this whole platonic things hard. But there's no way he'll cross the line with the girl he's supposed to protect.
- "RUN WILD" by Lorie O'Clare (Bounty Hunters #4) (A+++++) Hot on the trail of a cold-blooded killer, a small-town sheriff risks his life - and his heart - with one sexy partner. She's on a manhunt - Raised in a family of professional bounty hunters, Natasha King knows the dangers of tracking down fugitives - especially when they're wanted for murder. But this is no ordinary mission. This time, it's personal. The suspect is her own long-lost father - and the lawman hunting him down is dangerously close to catching her off-guard. He's on to her game - In all his years as sheriff, Trent Oakley has never seen a woman as strong-willed - or as scorching hot - as Natasha. With her big-city experience and black-belt training, she's his best chance for tracking down the Trinity Ranch killer. Problem is: Can he trust her? As the trail gets hotter, their attraction burns wilder and soon Trent's not sure who's hunting who. But one thing's for sure: Natasha is one woman who always gets her man.
- "PAST LIES" by Shayla Kersten (A++++) Two opposite men, two different lives, two sets of past lies. With his twenty-year high school reunion looming, Paul Loughton dreads seeing the one person who could tempt him to stray from his path. Small-town mayorre, lawyer and budding politician, Paul can't - won't - admit he's gay, even to himself. Years of denial and lies are now threatened by an inevitable encounter. With his denial slipping, he has to come face-to-face with temptation. Randy Martin left his small-town roots behind before the ink on his diploma was dry. The cliquish world of his childhood didn't have room for the weird kid from the wrong side of the tracks. Rumors of his sexual preferences made life that much more difficult. Now, twenty years later, he should be anxious to rub his wealth and success in the faces of his former classmates. Except with one of them, the urge to rub something else hasn't diminished over the years.
- "THE LOVE OF A LAWMAN" by Anna Jeffrey (Callister, Idaho #3) (A+++++) Isabelle Rondeau has always been good at running away from her problems. This time she's running to Callister, Idaho, a place she once called home. She's determined to start over as a horse trainer and make up for lost time with her daughter. And no more men, especially cowboys. That is, until she calls the local sheriff, a man she hasn't seen since she left town some eighteen years ago. John Thomas Bradshaw, Jr., a rodeo star turned sheriff, has his own troubles. Among the, his wife left him, taking their two sons with her. But when his high school crush comes back into town with a spark in her eyes to match her unruly fiery hair, he jumps at the chance to get to know her all over again. Soon this welcome distraction reveals more than just a shared love for horses. An all-consuming passion that neither can deny is developing, but can two wounded hearts learn to love again?
- "STAND DOWN" by J.A. Jance (J.P. Beaumont #21.5) (A+++++) Life has shifted for J.P. Beaumont. After a tragic accident that devastated - and ultimately disbanded - his special Homicide Investigation Team, he accepts that he has left homicide detection behind at this point, but he has a lot of unanticapated free time on his hands. He's keeping busy with renovations on the new house that he and his wife, Mel Soames, the newly appointed chief of police in Bellingham, Washington, have bought. But new fixtures and paint palettes can occupy only so much of Beau's daily life and mel is encouraging him to return to where he is needed: investigating crimes. In the meantime, she is struggling to gain control of her new situation, cast into a department where some are welcoming - and some are not. It's been a few months and the tension in the police department is rising, but Beau realizes Mel has to tackle things in her own way, so he refrains from advising. But when Beau shows up one afternoon to survey the construction at their new house and finds Mel's car there but no sign of her, his investigative instincts kick in. Suddenly he's back in the game - except this time, his heart is on the line as well as his professional dignity.
- "LOVE LETTERS" by Debbie Macomber (Rose Harbor #3) (A+++++) Summer is a busy season at Cedar Cove's Rose Harbor Inn, so proprietor Jo Marie Rose and handyman Mark Taylor have spent a lot of time together working the property. Despite some claims to the contrary, Jo Marie insists that Mark is only a friend., However, she seems to be thinking about this particular friend a great deal. She's determined to learn more about Mark's past, but first she welcomes three new guests. Twenty-three-year-old Ellie has come to Cedar Cove to meet a man she's been corresponding with and with whom she might be falling in love. Maggie and Roy Porter arrive next, hoping to rekindle the spark in their marriage in the wake of past mistakes. For each of these characters, it will be a moment when someone wore their heart on their sleeve - and took pen to paper - that makes all the difference.
- "THE SEDUCTION OF HIS WIFE" by Janet Chapman (Logger #1) (A+++++) He set out to seduce her for all the wrong reasons - but found himself falling in love with her for all the right ones. Alex Knight is dead - or so everyone thinks. A widowed logger baron with a risk-taking streak, he took on a South American engineering project and was reported dead after a rebel attack. So when he turns up back in Maine very much alive, his grieving family is shocked. But the biggest shock is Alex's, when he discovers he's now married - to a woman he's never met. Sarah Banks is ready for a change from running a quiet Bed & Breakfast and working for the Knight family offers not only a bigger opportunity, but also a family life she yearns for. So she's glad to help secure custody of Alex's orphaned chidren, whom she's come to love, by marrying their father by proxy before he's legall declared dead. But when Alex returns, the sexy, determined woodsman upends all of Sarah's plans. Because suddenly she's married to a passionate stranger with an easy smile...and tumbling headlong into a fiery dance of seduction.
- "SANTA BABY" by Sherryl Woods (unabridged audio CD) (A+++++) When Amy Riley's son disappears in the mall, Santa - who is actually police officer Nick DiCaprio - comes to the rescue. Whoever said the Big Red Guy wasn't sexy?
- "IT'S IN HIS KISS" by Jill Shalvis (Lucky Harbor #10) (A+++++) One kiss can last forever. Becca Thorpe has uprooted her life and escaped to the beach. Now's her chance to get away from city living, throw caution to the ocean winds and live in the moment. Especially if the moment inccludes the deliciously sexy surfer she meets shortly after arriving in Lucky Harbor. Something about the dark intensity of Sam's eyes and the thrill she gets at his touch convinces her to stay awhile. Boatbuilder and investment genius Sam Brody is a self-made man who knows how dangerous it can be to mix business with pleasure. But he can't resist offering Becca a job just to hear her laugh and have her near. Yet when her brother comes to town asking for help, will he tempt her back to her glamorous life in the city? Or do Sam and little Lucky Harbor have a chance to win Becca's heart?
- "AGAINST THE TIDE" by Kat Martin (Brodies of Alaska #3) (A+++++) Secrets - and safety - melt under a midnight sun...Liv Chandler is running for her life and the cops haven't been able to do a thing to help. But there's one man who makes her feel safe, no matter what...rugged charter boat captain Rafe Brodie. To Rafe, Live is a beautiful mystery, one he can't ignore. He means to unearth her secrets, and in the process, if luck is on his side, maybe the spark between them will ignite. But Liv's past is more dangerous than Rafe could guess, and when his first mate turns up dead, she fears that she's next. That there's something else coming she can't see. That even Rafe and the remote village of Valdez, Alaska can't protect her forever.
CURRENTLY READING -
- "The Harder You Fall" by Gena Showalter (The Original Heartbreakers #3)
CURRENTLY LISTENING TO -
- "Paradise Cove" by Patrice Wilton (Paraidse #1) (New Author For Me) (listening on an Audible app on my cell phone)
- "Send Me No Flowers" by Sandra Brown (abridged audio CD)
Last Edited on: 8/31/16 8:18 PM ET - Total times edited: 59