Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: August already! What are you reading?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
retiredteacher avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 8/17/2017 2:30 AM ET

Alice, the 2nd book in that series came out on August 1st.  Charles, I read that one and liked it. I need to read the next one in that series.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/17/2017 6:28 AM ET

Thanks connie I will have to get it soon.

I am reading In Farleigh Field by Rhys Bowen right now. Very good she is one of my favorite historical mystery authors.

beanie5 avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 8/21/2017 12:57 PM ET

Hello All --- I have read 3 books of late.  Two by Robert Dugoni, "Murder One" and "Conviction", both in his David Sloan series.  "Murder One" was very good.  "Conviction" was long --- the story was good, just took way too much time to come to a conclusion.  I also read, "Elementary She Read" by Vicky Delany.  The main character is in partnership with her Uncle in a Sherlock Holmes themed bookshop in Massachusetts on Cape Cod.  It was an okay book, perhaps a bit better than okay, but I am unsure as to whether I will try to get Book Two.

Now reading "Girl Waits with a Gun", Book One in a series about the Kopp sisters.  It is set in New Jersey in 1914.  I will say I am having a bit of a time becoming interested, but will give it a few more pages.  It was on Best Seller Lists all around --- so perhaps it will pick up.  Sorry I cannot come up with the author as I type.

Made my eclipse viewer out of a cereal box!!!  Had ordered 10 pairs of glasses for the family from Amazon, but they were not going to arrive until September 8th!!!! 

LATER --- I finished Girl Waits with a Gun and only then realized it was based on a true story of the Copp sisters.  One of them becoming the first female detective in New Jersey.  There are 2 more books in the series and I believe I will continue with them.

Last Edited on: 8/21/17 8:46 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
Page: