Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: August hot reads - and maybe some not so hot

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
skeetergirl avatar
Date Posted: 8/31/2015 1:57 PM ET

Am sitting on the floor in the 2nd bedroom (meaning the junk room) while they are cleaning the carpets in the rest of the apt.  Doesn't do much for my typing ability, so bare with me!!

Read The Last Ragged Breath/Julia Keller.  This is the current book in her series with Bell Elkins, the DA in a small, depressed West Virginia town. 

And, for kicks and grins, read The Last Time I Saw Her/Karen Robards.  This is the fourth book with Dr. Charlotte Stone, a psychiatrist who studies serial killers and the ghost of a serial killer. She believes he is innocent and is falling in love with him.  You totally have to suspend your disbelief with these books, but, for whatever reason, I got into them.  Think this will be the last one since everything got tidied up rather nicely!

Checked the TP, Geri, and no ice cube tray!!!!  Did clean out the freezer thinking it might have gotten buried, but no luck.  But, to think positively, the freezer got cleaned out!!!

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 8/31/2015 3:58 PM ET

Marla, I have the same trouble with my freezer.  Stuff just accumulates in there to the point I can't tell what is in there. Have to periodically do a big purge.  Just did one a couple weeks ago, so far so good!  Did you check in your dishwasher? Oven? laundry basket?  :)  just some ideas!

I just finished a book, 'Cookies to Die For' by Dene Low.  If you want a quick read, this would be a good one.  The premise is that the MC, Jane is taking a writing course and is given the assignment to write about something real that had happened to you.  She was kidnapped not too long ago, so she decides to write about that.  It's quite a good little cozy.  Throughout the writing she'll throw little notes in to the professor telling her she'll explain what she has just to her if she'd like.  Pretty funny, actually.

I'm now reading 'Sabotaged' by Dani Pettrey.  This is part of a suspense series with the main character in each one a different member of a big family who live in Alaska.  It took me a good bit before I was able to get in to it, primarily I think because it had been so long sine I had read the last one I had to play catch up.  I think I'm liking it pretty good now, though.  I'm halfway through and can't put it down.  :)

mary2029 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 8/31/2015 4:16 PM ET

Am about 100 pages into Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens. I was so impressed with her first book that I had this second book on my WL without having checked to see what it's about. MC is the narrator, telling the story to a psychiatrist. MC, age 35, went searching for info about her birth mother, and it led to finding out she's the daughter of a victim of a serial killer, and her birth mother was the only one that got away. The book is riveting in its own right, but especially so because I'm an adoptee myself. While I still know nothing about my birth father, I really identify with many of MC's experiences and feelings. 

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Member of the Month medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 8/31/2015 4:27 PM ET

Okay now yesterday Becky said it was the end of the month and today I thought it was Tuesday.  Gathered all the garbage in the house and almost took it out to the curb.  Which is a Tuesday job!

We all seem to be having brain freeze of one kind or another since Marla still can't find her ice cube tray.  Joy has some good suggestions!  When that happens to me I'm always afraid that whatever I've lost has ended up in the garbage.  Then after a day or two of fretting the item will show up in the strangest place.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/31/2015 9:32 PM ET

I am still reading The Calling.  I've had so many interruptions I keep starting the same chapter over and over.

Marla - I did the same as your husband when the arthritis got so bad, I just quit going out except to the doctor. My husband was out of town a lot and I just didn't want to go by myself.

When my husband retired he made it his mission to drag me out of my cocoon.  What could I do?  He's way bigger than me and relentless.  So even though I can't walk through the store or whatever, when the weather is nice I've quit resisting and go with him.  I sit in the truck and read while he does the errands.  Actually I enjoy getting out now.  And he finds little places that I can stand long enough to explore at least partially.  And he takes the scenic routes to things to see the fall leaves or the llamas protecting the sheep or whatever neat stuff can be found.  He tries so hard I don't have the heart to refuse to go.  Actually, I think I'm being manipulated but I don't care because he's such a good guy.

Last Edited on: 8/31/15 9:33 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Member of the Month medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 8/31/2015 11:59 PM ET

Bronwyn, lucky you to have such a special guy. 

Okay, it's 11:59  have not done a September but I'm sure someone has.  cool

retiredteacher avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 9/1/2015 3:24 AM ET

I was up late so decided to start the September thread. smiley See you all there!

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 9/1/2015 10:42 AM ET

Last Edited on: 9/1/15 10:43 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Page: