I think ring bound books are fine:
- Anything that is not a book (this includes calendars, coloring books, blank journals)
- Anything that contains advertising (such as single-issue comic books or comic book digests or magazines)
- Advance Reader Copies (also known as ARC s, Review Copies or Uncorrected Proofs--these are not the final versions of books, AND these items were given free to reviewers; they are not actual books)
- CD-ROM books/e-books (books that must be read on a computer or handheld device)
- Digital or Burned copies of audio books, such as Audible books (even if you paid for the downloaded audio book, we can't know if this is the only copy made, so they are not permitted here).
- Xerox or otherwise unoriginal copies of books
- Electronic media of any kind
- Unbound pages
- Music recordings, spoken-word recordings (these can be swapped as accompaniments to a bound book *for 1 credit for the set*, or at SwapaCD if they are in the database there. These are not "audio books," which are books read aloud by a narrator).
- Items of fewer than 50 pages (leaflets or pamphlets or booklets**) without ISBNs, or whose ISBNs are not included in our database (other members complain at spending a credit for these)
- Brochures/Promotional "first chapters" of books - these are not complete books, even if they have an ISBN
- Books that originally had accompanying media material, if the accompanying media are not included.
- Books that require supplementary non-media materials to be useful (non-media materials cannot be sent by MediaMail, and original non-media materials cannot be expected to be included with a used book)
- Pornography (sex manuals and erotica are allowed, hardcore pornography is not allowed)
- Supplementary media alone (without the book they originally accompanied)
- Audio language courses without accompanying bound book. (if audio tapes/CDs ARE accompanied by a book they are considered a bound book with accompanying media, and swap for 1 credit. They are not "audio books," which are books read aloud by a narrator.)
- Books with water damage, or damage from any liquid
- Books with writing or highlighting (see the exception for textbooks/cookbooks/travel guides described in Book Condition Criteria for 'Swappability' at PBS)