Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Bad Bazaar deal??

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Bad Bazaar deal??
Date Posted: 6/26/2009 1:16 PM ET

I ordered two books on a 2-1 book bazaar deal. I PMed with the two books I had ordered and the two books I wanted free. I was told that they would be placed in the mail. The books were marked mailed 6/5/09. I received the package today (postmarked mailed 6/23/09??) with only the two books I used credits for - no free books! Can I mark them RWAP since I did not receive the free books or is it a case of tough luck sucker?

Last Edited on: 6/26/09 1:19 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Fungurl1979 avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 6/26/2009 1:26 PM ET

Well to me 2-1 means 2 books for One Credit. I don't see where you would get free ones. Now the mail date is crazy. I would for sure say something to the member about that.

Hockeymom14 avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 6/26/2009 1:30 PM ET

But she ordered 2 books and should have gotten 2 free.

I would send a polite PM to the member asking about the 2 free books. Did you PM her with the titles you wanted for free or did you post it in the forum? She may have missed it if it was in the forum.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/26/2009 1:31 PM ET

I used two credits to order two books and requested two free books - I thought I had stated that clearly or is my math wrong? Not having a good day here!!!

I PMed her with the requested and free books and she replied that she would mail them. I also PMed her asking what happened to the free books - she has not responded yet, but I just sent it a little while before coming here.

Last Edited on: 6/26/09 1:33 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Princess65 avatar
Date Posted: 6/26/2009 1:45 PM ET

actually you can't mark it RWAP because you were dealing outside of PBS....that is as long as the books you actually paid credits for are postable.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/26/2009 1:55 PM ET

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks.

3pete avatar
Date Posted: 6/26/2009 1:59 PM ET

Melanie,

I don't think it hurts to contact PBS.  All of the details are noted in your PM's and in the bazaar.     Are the free ones still posted on the sender's bookshelf?

Give her time to respond.  If she doesn't, you have nothing to lose by reporting it.  

Susan

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/26/2009 2:16 PM ET

Thanks for asking if the free ones were still posted on the sender's shelf. I never thought to check. Unfortunately, they are not.

One of the two books I DID receive is split in half with the spine broken and the pages starting to come out!

All the details are definitely noted in the PM's - so I guess that all that PBS can say is tough. I will wait and see if she responds first though. And I will DEFINITELY be staying out of the bazaar! If this doesn't get resolved then two out of three deals will have been bad for me. The last one was horrible! Out three credits and NO postable books!

Last Edited on: 6/28/09 12:32 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 6/26/2009 3:09 PM ET

It sounds like she actually mailed much later than she was supposed to. Maybe by the time she actually mailed it, she forgot it was supposed to be a deal?

Definitely PM her and see what she says.

jubead avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 6/26/2009 4:46 PM ET

I would PM her and find out the facts first...if she is going back on her deal I would contact PBS so they are aware. They may not do anything, but it is a reflection on the site. 

Cattriona avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 6/26/2009 8:31 PM ET

FYI, per the Help Center under "About the Specific Discussion Forums, it states:

"Book Bazaar

• This is the place to advertise your bookshelf and "make a deal"
    • Members often post "deals" or "bargains" in the Book Bazaar, hoping to clean out their bookshelves and earn some credits.   We do not officially support such deals (there is no credit compensation for unsatisfactory or unfulfilled swaps)."

Cheers,
Catt

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/28/2009 12:35 AM ET

What is the standard waiting period for a response? One week? I just received my second set of emails from PBS wanting to know if I received the books yet.

tiffanyak avatar
Date Posted: 6/28/2009 4:00 AM ET

If it were me, I'd mark the unpostable one RWAP (the one you said had a broken spine and pages falling out) and ask the sender for that credit back, and in the note to PBS section mention that the books were meant to be part of a deal, but the other books weren't sent. That way, if they ever have cause to review her account due to her sending out RWAPs or something, they'll see that she not only sent an unpostable but cheated someone on a deal.

Of course, first I'd wait a week to see if I heard anything from her.

Lynno avatar
Date Posted: 6/28/2009 9:03 AM ET

Are you sure it was the same person you ordered the deal throught that sent you the books?  If the first deal timed out it would have gone to the next in line of the FIFO system.  I almost had that happen once. Thankfully I noticed the deal timed out and was able to cancel the next order.  My sender of the deal had some emergency come up and did not mark it mailed in time. 

Lynn

RockStarGirl avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 6/28/2009 12:12 PM ET

I would mark that one book RWP, copy and paste all your transactions and her offer in the BB, and contact the people in charge.  This sounds like a multiple problem issue here (mailing late, reneging on deal, sending damaged book, not answering PMs).  I'm willing to bet that you are not the only person who is being mistreated by this member.  Just a hunch.