Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Bad Gateway Messages

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 3/28/2018 11:58 AM ET

Contacted TPTB shortly after I posted above, and they responded back quickly and said they were working on it, but no explanation as to what is causing it. Pat

berd avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/28/2018 12:16 PM ET

I wondered if anyone else was having this issue.  It's been bad these past couple of days for me too.

hardtack avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/28/2018 3:41 PM ET

Perhaps the problem was FaceBook, or the Russians, had taken over the PBS server and was harvesting all our data. smiley

PhoenixFire avatar
Book Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 3/28/2018 5:12 PM ET

I really wish PBS would actually fix these bugs. OVer the last few months, it is like we are paying for a busted product.

freeverse071681 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/29/2018 8:16 AM ET

like Pat I was told by the PBS team that they were working on it. I get that. i want to know what IT is. did it ever occur to them that if they told members the problem maybe someone could give suggestions? maybe they have some members who do IT (computer work) and have seen the problems before. 

Last Edited on: 3/31/18 2:29 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 3/29/2018 9:55 PM ET

These started for me on Monday evening.  I'm wasting hours daily trying to get on the site over and over to complete orders. 

soelo avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/1/2018 11:15 AM ET

On 3/28, they posted an update on Facebook and not here.

502 errors solved (as of a few hours ago)! For inquiring minds: the trouble was caused by a third-party search engine with a faulty script, scanning our site clumsily (because of their faulty script), and interfering with access. Life on the interwebz. Hope everyone is having a great week otherwise!

lionrose avatar
Date Posted: 4/2/2018 1:11 PM ET

Although I did not experience any of the problems accessing the site as mentioned above, it is very frustrating that the only communication about this type of thing is posted on Facebook. I get it; if the site is not accessible then it makes sense to post alerts on an alternate source. But that should be 'in addition to' not 'instead of'. It would nonetheless be helpful if there were a banner or some small flag on the main PBS page & an email update to all users. I know that it's a programming problem to have to add it and then remove it, but because I use a number of restricted websites I know most find a way to show an alert for outages and other problems when you first sign in. Unfortunately, if you're not on Facebook you many not know the PBS Facebook page is not viewable or accessible in anyway to those of us who don't use Facebook; all you see is a log into or signup with Facebook page and nothing else.

soelo avatar
Date Posted: 4/2/2018 7:41 PM ET

I completely agree! We should not have to hunt down status messages on other websites unless this one is completely down. I commented on their first status message when they said they know there is a problem but not the reason. I said they should post something to the forums and they replied "Thanks for your suggestion."

I got another error today, but only one.

freeverse071681 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/3/2018 10:39 AM ET

well as of this morning now i am getting 504 gateway messages. so another glitch perhaps?

PhoenixFire avatar
Book Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 4/3/2018 11:25 AM ET

Are these issues actually going to be resolved?I am still getting these messages everyday for most of the day—a lot of times when I am actually able access the site.

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 4/3/2018 4:54 PM ET

I switched to IE and am not having the error message however on Chrome that's all I get.

freeverse071681 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/3/2018 5:43 PM ET

same here Michelle. I tried other websites with chrome thinking that it was my computer. and the only site that's having trouble is  paperbackswap. i tried PBS on IE and it works fine. so until the bugs are worked out or fixed i'm sticking with IE.

Last Edited on: 4/3/18 5:58 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
lionrose avatar
Date Posted: 4/3/2018 6:04 PM ET

I’m not having any problems with Chrome.

robininjax avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/4/2018 7:59 AM ET

No problems yesterday, but getting this message off and on this morning using Chrome.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/5/2018 4:00 PM ET

I am having issues since yesterday also but using Safari.  I am able to access with my phone but need it to work on my laptop to mail out  book.  

rutabaker avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/5/2018 5:58 PM ET

Problems today. Getting lots of 504s. Finally managed to get here on Edge or whatever the built-in Win 10 browser is called. 

I have several books I'd like to post but will wait until this glitch sorts itself out. At least I hope it does.

Page: