Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - 2009 Resolutions

Topic: Barbara's 2009

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Barbara's 2009
Date Posted: 1/6/2009 7:36 AM ET

Hopes/Plans/Resolutions:

Eliminate negativity (in whatever shape/form it comes in) as much as possible (unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to eliminate altogether!), and that would include people, behaviour, habits, environment.....  This will mean some behaviour pattern changes for me, as well as a new mindset - more positive vibes and thoughts needed and required!!

Spend more time reading the collection of books I've collected and barely touched over the years.

Spend more time knitting and sewing with all the yarn and materials I've collected over the years.

Allow for more time and prioritize finances for more travel to new places.......I still have this dream of a cross country trip (now that I've hit 40, I feel I'm still young enough!).

This is just a start......

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Sewing
Date Posted: 1/6/2009 7:39 AM ET

What types of sewing do you do?  I'm a sewer too and I resolve to get through some of my fabric.

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Listening
Date Posted: 1/6/2009 7:47 AM ET

My plan is to listen to my heart at every turn.

ssf avatar
Subject: Good Goals!
Date Posted: 1/6/2009 9:01 AM ET

I really LIKE that mindset one - go for it . . . I BELIEVE you can & will accomplish all your goals and maintain the changes you have set for yourself.

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Similar goal-- using up knitting/sewing material!
Date Posted: 1/6/2009 10:04 AM ET
Reading your list, I realized that I have a similar goal, only I hadn't quite articulated it to myself. I also vow to use up all my knitting and sewing material! I tend to get excited about projects and either 1) begin them, then get excited about another and abandon the half-finished one; or 2) just keep buying and buying and buying new material that I can work with at a later date! You've helped me clarify one of my goals, which is to use what I have, and finished what I start. Thank you and happy new year!
kateford avatar
Subject: Fantastic
Date Posted: 1/6/2009 11:34 AM ET

Those are fantastic resolutions, Barbara.  Two years ago, I made a similar one, involving negativity / drama. I resolved that I'd no longer punish myself on a daily basis, to court the so-called friendship of people who brought only drama and negativity into my life, without any real regard for what was happening with me.  You know the type, they meet up with you, talk non-stop for two hours about their latest grievance, and only when you are parting company do they say "Ok, enough about me. Quick, how are YOU doing? Oh, here's my car --- maybe next time! Bye!".

It was quite difficult at first -- to pull back from people who believed us to be friends, while I finally understood them to be "acquaintenances" -- a major difference.  Part of the motivation for doing so was a terrific phrase a true friend uttered, when I described how awful I felt after each outing with a negative "friend."  She simply said "You need to evaluate why you permit this person to be a Spiritual Vampire. She's sucking your spirit right out of you and you let her.  Why do you think this is?"   ::blink::  ::blink::  That was such a terrific phrase and it really brought it home for me. Why DO I let her do that?  Once I made myself less available for her drama, and eventually pulled back all together, I realized I was much more calm, less irritated. I began to apply that mindset to other negative areas of my life, as well. "Why am I letting this bother me? What can I do to eliminate or resolve this situation?  Is it sucking my spirit?   Kill this Vampire."

I guess I'm chatty today!

Here's to lots of garlic and stakes, so that you eliminate as many Spiritual Vampires as you can in 2009!