Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: On the Beach and Reading What in August?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
clariail avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 8/29/2016 10:22 AM ET

I saw the pics everyone posted and it looked like you had a great time.  it's fun to see places that you have read about. The few books I've read set in Mobile change stuff and names so it is sometimes hard to figure out exactly where they are talking about. The Biscuit Bowl series by the Lavenes is set in Mobile.

Have to say fudge isn't my favorite but it's always fun to watch when they make it.

flfraidycat avatar
Date Posted: 8/29/2016 5:15 PM ET

I think I've read most or all of the Creasy books, have some Toff and Gideon books that are ancient, and know I've read both Toff and Gideon series more than once over the many years they've been out. I think I first read Phyllis Whitney at a pretty young age (a lot of books actually as I'd read Mom's Reader's Digest Condensed Books, and they weren't always age "appropriate,") lol - but there were a lot of mysteries - Simenon, George Herman Coxe, Perry Mason, and other interesting books of all kinds in those.

Read With Baited Breath (Lotus Bay, Bk 1) by Lorraine Bartlett (a/ka LL Bartlett - Resnick a/k/a Lorna Barrett - Booktown) yesterday. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I liked the "can do" attitude of one of the MCs, but it seemed more about growing and forging strong women's friendships than a real "mystery" and a lot of things just seemed too pat. 

beanie5 avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 8/30/2016 2:56 PM ET

Hello All ----- Thank you all for posting the photographs of all that I missed!!!!  Everyone seemed to be having a great time.  Jeanne, is that a Bloody Mary on the table???  Does it actually have a piece of fried chicken on the pick with all the veggies???  Or perhaps a fried oyster???

All goes pretty well here.  Have not had to go over to my mother's for 5 days now, so that is just fabulous.  My unpacking is going, but not in much of a hurry.  The bedroom is workable, the den as well.  The bathroom is good.  The middle bedroom which I am using as a sort of dressing room still needs work.  Yesterday I tried to get all of my costume jewelry straightened out ---- YIKES there is way too much of it.  Have quite a pile going "somewhere"!!!  I must have 15 choker length necklaces from many years back but still in excellent condition ---- not a good look on my fatter neck with the double chin!!!  Only the longer ones will stay and not even all of them.  My cousin, Misty, was a representative for Park Lane Jewelry and in my quest to help her, I am definitely OVER jewelried.

Yesterday I finished "Death at the Abbey" by Christine Trent.  I think it is the 5th in the series with Violet Harper, the lady funeral director.  If anyone here has it on a wishlist, please send me a PM and I will ship it right off to you.  My account is still on hold as I know not where the books on my bookshelf are currently residing.  I also read "A Gilded Grave" by Shelly Freydont.  It is the first in what I assume will be a series, as there is already a book 2 available.  It was entertaining and not too silly.  Will read the next one at some point.  On Kindle I am reading "Behind the Horseman" by Suzanne Downes.  It is the 3rd book in a series with 2 brothers, one an Anglican Priest and the other a former Cambridge Don.  There is a wife thrown in there as well.  They are easy reading for bedtime.  Will not win any Pulitzers, but okay reads.

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Member of the Month medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 8/30/2016 3:26 PM ET

Becky that was indeed a Bloody Mary and that was a piece of chicken.  Jeanne gave me a taste.  The small glass was beer that came with!  That was in Frankenmuth the home of chicken dinners.  We couldn't get in the place Sunday.  A line out the door and around th ecorner, through the parking lot.  Monday we had a reservation and got in right on time.

I love the Christine Trent books, thanks to you. 

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 8/30/2016 4:37 PM ET

The Christine Trent books sound good ~ I've put a couple on my Wish List.  I love that period in England, the Victorian/Edwardian years. 

I finished "Dead With the Wind," the second book in the Southern Ladies new series by Miranda James.  The writing is really good and I didn't figure out who done it until the end.  Both of the books are very quicking moving with lots of new things going on. 

I've now started, and am half way through, "Tail Gate" by Rita Mae Brown & Sneaky Pie Brown, in the continuing "Mrs. Murphy" series. Up next, I think, is "The Murder of Mary Russell" by Laurie King.  I love this series as well, featuring Sherlock Holmes and his detective partner Mary Russell.

bkydbirder avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/30/2016 4:39 PM ET

Becky - that was a piece of chicken schnitzel on the bloody mary! Since Geri had ordered fried perch, I figured she had to have a taste of the chicken - LOL!

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 8/30/2016 4:54 PM ET

And, the perch was delicious!  So glad to hear your mom seems to be doing well.  And you sound good too Becky!  We missed you, and we'd do something and say now wouldn't Becky like this.  You were with us in spirt.

beanie5 avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 8/30/2016 5:34 PM ET

Joy --- The Trent books have no cursing and no descriptive sex, but they do have murders.  They are some of my current favorites and I think you might enjoy them.  They are not what I would call a cozy, but are tame mystery novels.  I will send the one I have along to you so you will have it when you need it.  If it turns out you do not care for them, this book has a wishlist, so you will not have any trouble getting rid of it.

beanie5 avatar
Date Posted: 8/30/2016 5:35 PM ET

Jeanne --- the drink looks yummy and the first I have ever seen with "chicken"!!!

bkydbirder avatar
Date Posted: 8/30/2016 5:46 PM ET

Becky - that's the first time I ever saw one with chicken too - had to try it just out of curiosity if nothing else. laugh

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 8/30/2016 7:26 PM ET

And, note, Jeanne didn't offer anything else from that drink.  No taste of pickle, celery or olive.  Just a bite of the chicken.  wink

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 8/30/2016 10:49 PM ET

Thanks so much, Becky!

mary2029 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 8/31/2016 4:03 AM ET

Just finishing Dead Famous by Carol O'Connell. Mallory's former police partner Riker has recovered physically from having been shot by a crazy. He's living in Charles Butler's building, and suffering from panic attacks triggered by loud noises. So he's taking care of his younger brother's cleaning business. He's attracted to a psychiatrist who owns an attack cat, and who's working part-time at cleaning up murder scenes. She's linked to a serial killer who's hunting down and killing every member of a jury that acquitted a shock-jock defendant in Chicago. The psychiatrist thinks Mallory is a sociopath. Readers of the series know that Mallory is much more complicated than that. Good complex plot and lots of character development. The series just keeps getting better and better.

Last Edited on: 8/31/16 4:04 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
clariail avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 8/31/2016 10:15 AM ET

Good morning everyone!

When I went to the library the other day I picked up Murder and Moonshine by Carol Miller as well as the next two in the series which they also happened to have on the shelf.  Must say that I am really enjoying it and have maybe 40 pages left. The characters are a lot of fun which adds a lot to the story. Looking forward to reading the others.  Does have some cuss words in it but not heavy usuage.

bkydbirder avatar
Date Posted: 8/31/2016 10:29 AM ET

You're right Geri - I didn't offer anything else. I was too shocked by the presentation - LOL! You should have asked!!!!

I finished Robert Dugoni's first book in the Tracy Crosswhite series (My Sister's Grave) and enjoyed it so much that I'm moving on to the next titled Her Final Breath. I tried reading the last book in the Dr. Siri Paiboun series by Colin Cotterill titled I Shot the Buddha, but for some reason, I couldn't get into it (and I've read them all before this). After 100 pages, I have put it down - can't believe it!

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 8/31/2016 12:19 PM ET

Jeanne, if I would have asked it woud have been for the drink and then I'd have chugged it down.  Then I'd have keeled over.  laugh

I have My Sister's Grave on Kindle...

Cynthia, I just finished the third in that series.  I wish there were more.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/31/2016 5:45 PM ET

I read Paw and Order, Laying Down The Paw and AgainstThe Paw by Diane Kelly.  I enjoyed them very much and am looking forward to the next one.  Currently i am starting That Darkness by Lisa Black.  Someone here recommended it and a vigilante cop sounded intriquing to me.

beanie5 avatar
Date Posted: 8/31/2016 6:24 PM ET

Jeanne --- I am surprised that you had not read the Dugoni books before. You are usually Johnny on the Spot with new mystery/thrillers!!!  Seems I purchased the third one for Kindle.  There is a 4th one coming in January.  I am reading in paperback, "Dead Secret" by Beverly Connor.  It is the 3rd in the Diane Fallon series.  I find these enjoyable --- Diane is a forensic pathologist who now is the Director of a small museum, but she keeps getting involved in more criminal cases!!!  No cursing that I remember, nor any graphic sex.

bkydbirder avatar
Date Posted: 8/31/2016 7:19 PM ET

Becky - my reading has really slowed down and I'm usually trying to stick to authors/series that I already know. I couldn't resist this one though.

retiredteacher avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 9/1/2016 10:08 AM ET

September thread:September, crisp air, pretty leaves, and pumpkins what are you reading? http://www.paperbackswap.com/September-Crisp-Air-Pretty-Leaves/topic/309286/?ls=0#p6918242

Page: