I realize this forum is old. I just got on the site and saw the homeschool threads. I do have some suggestions for you though. I'm an elementary teacher who now homeschools 6 kids. I don't know if you're interested in Christian or Non-Christian books so I've listed a mixture of both.
Good beginning chapter books:
- Magic Tree House - you can find audio books to go with this so they are reading more even before they can do it independently. AND, this site: http://www.mce.k12tn.net/units/units_with_books.htm has comprehension questions for a lot of the books. Some of them can even be done online. I've used it A LOT with my students
- Three Cousins Detective Club by Elspeth Campbell Murphy
- Imagination Station books by Focus on the Family - these are new and really awesome. They're like Magic Tree House but from a Christian perspective. I can't wait to see what all they do with this series!
- Sideways stories from Wayside school - also has audio books available that go with it
- Hank the Cowdog - more advanced, but also has audio books in existence that can go with them. Kids really like these! I have comprehension questions written for the chapters of the first two books in the series. I'd be glad to share this with you.
- Wally McDoogle books by Bill Myers - it's goofy and crazy and drives me nuts but little boys think it's great. It teaches good lessons but is silly enough to hold their attention
- Geronimo Stilton books - the illustrations in the text itself make it appealing to kids
- Max Elliot Anderson books - this author prides himself on writing books that boys will want to read - adventure stories and such.
- Then in my personal opinion - when he gets about 4th grade in his comprehension skills, the best non-Christian chapter book ever written is The Pushcart War by Jean Merril. It's just so much fun!! It's a favorite of mine :-)
- Sugar Creek Gang books by Paul Hutchens - all about little boys roaming around the woods getting into mischief
As you child grows, I have a website devoted entirely to book reviews of Christian Teen Fiction if you're interested. My goal is to review every one that exists and someday get it into a searchable online database. The site is: www.ctfdevourer.com
Hope something in here was helpful!
~ J:-)mi, aka CTF Devourer