Black Bean and Corn Chili
||1 / 10
||15 - 30 min.
||30 - 45 min.
2 16 oz. - Jars mild picante sauce
3 16 oz. - Cans black beans
2 8 oz. - Cans tomato sauce
2 C - 2 C frozen corn
8 oz. - Pkg. low-fat cheddar cheese
1 t - Ground cumin
My family loves this recipe, I got it from the cooperative extension many years ago. One word to the wise. I made a very large batch when my daughter was nursing. She proceeded to have it for dinner the first night, and then lunch and dinner for the next couple of nights. Needless to say, it had an adverse affect on my granddaughter. My daughter said, Mom, you can't make it when I'm nursing. I said, kid, you can't eat it 24/7 when you are nursing! :D
Sorry the bowl looks a little dirty, I was having seconds!
Black Beans and Corn Chili
1 Cup Chili
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- In skillet or saucepan, combine beans, picante sauce, corn and cumin.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Grate cheese.
- Serve chili in bowls topped with cheese.
- Picante Sauce: This is slightly different than salsa. I use picante, not salsa. If you want it hotter, use medium or hot. We are not hot people, we use mild.
- Black Beans: I only use two cans of black beans, not three. I have also used dried black beans, which require a different cooking procedure and more time to cook.
- Tomato sauce: The recipe does not provide for addition of tomato sauce. I just add it along with the rest of the stuff. Also, I don't use the two-eight ounce cans, I simply buy a bigger can, maybe fifteen ounces? which means I'm one ounce short. Who cares? So shoot me.
- Cumin: I use less cumin. We are not spicy people. I think I use 1/2 t.
- General: I also feel it is better if cooked for longer. Lots longer. This is a great crockpot recipe!!! It's also great with corn bread.
- Optional add-ins: Sweet peppers (think multi-colored) & onions (sliced and/or diced).