Excellent read. One of the things I truly admire about the Psy/Changeling series is that while remaining true and consistent to the original concepts; the author never lets the storylines grow stale. The hero is Max [we met him back in Mine to Possess, Clay & Talin's story]. Max is a human enforcer who has been assigned to work with Sofia, a Justice Psy on the verge of shattering.
Max is everything a hero should be, strong, honorable, intelligent and ethical. Although a human, he has a strong mental shield that makes him unreadable to the normal range of Psys. Sofia is a J-Psy; forced to read the minds [to the point of sharing the experience] of the worst criminals she is sliding towards acting as judge and executioner, not merely the witness to the crimes. She who knows her future [complete mind wipe when her shields shatter] is bearing down on her. Each is fascinated by the other... The love story is warm, compelling, and, in spots, terrifying. The plot abounds with spine-tingling suspense. The characters are ones that you fall in love with. Her world building is simply unparalleled...
1. Slave to Sensation (September 2006)
2. Visions of Heat (March 2007)
Free short story: The Cannibal Princess - available from author's website
3. Caressed By Ice (September 2007)
4. Beat of Temptation in An Enchanted Season (October 2007)*
5. Mine to Possess (February 2008)
6. Hostage to Pleasure (September 2008)
7. Stroke of Enticement in The Magical Christmas Cat (October 2008) *
Free short story: A Gift for Kit - available from author's website
8. Branded by Fire (July 2009)
9. Blaze of Memory (November 2009)
10. Bonds of Justice (July 2010)
11. "Whisper of Sin" in Burning Up (August 2010)*
12. Play of Passion (November 2010)
13. Hawke's Book (July 2011)
Paranormal romance by Nalini Singh, eighth in the Psy-Changeling series. Sophia is a J-Psy, tasked with exploring the minds of suspects of crime and criminals, to determine their guilt. This is a dangerous job for the J, who burn out quickly. Sophia is virtually toast, and she knows it. Then she's paired with human detective Max, on a special assignment. If you knew your death was imminent, would you break from the confines of your society for forbidden but tempting pleasure? But, there are those who don't want the two to be successful in their assignment? Love the book, love the series.