Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Book browser broken?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
freeverse071681 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/11/2017 3:25 PM ET

well i can search my bookshelf. but now my bookshelf page has no page numbers at the top of the page and there are no next or back buttons either. not so fun scrolling through thousands of books. lol but i sure gave my wrist and  and clicking finger a workout.

Last Edited on: 2/11/17 6:32 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
freeverse071681 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/12/2017 11:22 AM ET

well i can no longer search my bookshelf,tbr pile,bir, or wishlist. it was working fine for a few days there and this morning back to no search function. using google chrome.

hardtack avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 2/12/2017 8:49 PM ET

The To and From maps don't work either. At least, not for me.

read4thesoul avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/13/2017 11:30 PM ET

The latest notice copied here for a la carte members:

PBSTeam - PaperBackSwap Team
L2member.png?v=68aff23bia.png?v=68aff23bda.png?v=68aff23

Date Posted: 2/13/2017 9:01 PM ET

Hello!

We are making progress on the search fix -- a lot of the progress is behind the scenes because most of the fix has to be implemented all at once, not in pieces. 

Thanks very much to those who have sent in information to us about your specific search issues. We have a list of things that are currently broken or acting unpredictably, and your reports have really helped with that. In no particular order...

• Genre search was working, but it has again become unpredictable. We're working on it!
  • Search results are limited to 100 items, and the numbers at the top can be inaccurate (example:  "1 to 100" at top of the page, but there are only 4 listings on the page)
  • Search results are not paginated currently (you can't advance from page 1 to 2, etc) and changing the # of books per page shown does not always work
  • non-ISBN items are not showing in search results
  • The "...this exact phrase in the title:" field in the Advanced Search is not working (but the other title fields for the Advanced Search search are working, so you can use those)
  • The subgenre option is not working reliably in some browsers. 
  • Refining a Search Result by 'recently posted' gives unpredictable results.
  • Saved Searches aren't working.
  • The blog link is not working.
  • You can't add to Book Lists from the book list -- BUT you can add to Book Lists starting from the Book Details page, using the item in the More Options menu.

If you encounter anything that does not appear on that list above, please let us know -- sending in feedback works best at this point -- and please let us know (1) the search you are using (meaning the search box at the top of the site OR the Book Browser OR the Advanced Search and (2) the exact terms you are using (and with the Book Browser or Advanced Search, the exact fields you are putting the terms in), and (3) what is wacky about the results you are seeing.

Also, please note: The unpaginated Bookshelf is just a temporary situation to allow the temporary simple Bookshelf search while we are getting the full search ready to implement.  When the full search has been implemented, the Bookshelf will have pagination again (it will go back to normal).

Hang in there, everyone!

Bama-Booklover avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 2/18/2017 3:53 PM ET

What's the latest on resolution of the problem with the search feature?  I'm trying to search for titles using title name, author name, all books.......getting message not found for that information.   Examples I'm searching for to add to my wish list are

A Tangled Yarn by Betty Hechtman

Wound Up in Murder by Paige Shelton

Does it work for anyone else?

LazerFlash avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/18/2017 7:36 PM ET

On 2/18/2017 at 3:53pm Lynn P. said: "What's the latest on resolution of the problem with the search feature?"

Things are getting better, although it could be going a bit faster.

For me, ISBN searching works, and there are some work-arounds for as-yet unresolved problems in the Advanced Search.  None of my Saved Author searchs are working at this time.  Like many others, I have also experienced issues using the Keyword Search/Filter/Genre options when looking at another user's Wish List and Book Shelf. I think if you browse up from your post, you'll see what's still not working for others.

Along with posting and looking here, you might want to ask your question directly to the PBS Team using the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.

Last Edited on: 2/18/17 7:37 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
leecat2 avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/19/2017 1:22 PM ET

I cannot search effectively at all. Even if I can find the book on the author's list. it does not take me to the book, but back to book browser.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: still a problem
Date Posted: 2/20/2017 8:41 AM ET

Seems like the search issue is ongoing.  This is very frustrating.  

leecat2 avatar
Date Posted: 2/20/2017 10:03 AM ET

It certainly is. I keep amassing credits, but can't spend them.

JML avatar
Judith L. (JML) - ,
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 2/20/2017 10:58 AM ET

While I am finding the Saved Search feature not working annoying, I'm really peeved that my Reminder list won't allow me to delete titles. If I find a book on my Reminder list at a thrift store, I find I can't delete the title. And searching the Reminder list is impossible right now too. How much longer do we have to wait?

MaggieBelize avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/20/2017 9:30 PM ET

Search by genre still not working for me, using Safari, as of 7:30 pm Feb 20. Saved searches non-functional. Also, threads like this one only show one page of posts until I reply. Then remaining posts appear.

Last Edited on: 2/20/17 9:33 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
LazerFlash avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/20/2017 9:38 PM ET

On 2/20/2017 at 9:30pm Margaret B. said: "Also, threads like this one only show one page of posts until I reply. Then remaining posts appear."

Try clearing your browser's cache...

classicana avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 2/20/2017 10:15 PM ET

What I have found with Saved Searches -- when I click on a saved search it takes me to Book Browser page - then I scroll down a bit and click on Update Results and it brings up my search...

lovejaneeyre avatar
Date Posted: 2/20/2017 11:07 PM ET

Anna, thanks!  I tried update results and that helped on some saved searches.  Others are a bit wonky and the hour is late so I will try figure this out another time. 

LazerFlash avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/20/2017 11:38 PM ET

On 2/20/2017 at 10:15pm Anna B. said: "when I click on a saved search it takes me to Book Browser page - then I scroll down a bit and click on Update Results and it brings up my search... "

Well, I had somewhat different results. cheeky

Using your method with a Saved Search that is supposed to produce a list of Star Trek books in descending Publication Date order, this is the start of the result set I received:

Last Edited on: 2/20/17 11:49 PM ET - Total times edited: 6
lovejaneeyre avatar
Date Posted: 2/21/2017 11:03 AM ET

Ok, I tested several of my saved searches.  

I click update and the search works.  

One of my searches in not working because the authors named has disappeared from the search box. 

I typed in the authors name and click update and the search works.  

In my author searches I type the authors name in the keyword box or author box.  Both methods work.  

Last Edited on: 2/21/17 11:04 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
lovejaneeyre avatar
Date Posted: 2/21/2017 11:07 AM ET

Ed, the search screen shot you posted is not working because there is nothing in Keyword, Title, Author or Genre box.  

Type in Star Trek and click update and see if it works.  

freeverse071681 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/22/2017 12:49 AM ET

on my wishlist i can't  click on estimate or position when i want to sort. both words are faded out and nothing happens when you click on them to sort them that way. i am running both internet explorer and google chrome. on windows 8.

Last Edited on: 2/22/17 12:57 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/22/2017 7:26 AM ET

Last Edited on: 3/15/17 9:27 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
leecat2 avatar
Date Posted: 2/22/2017 8:43 AM ET

Yes, I can do those things too. I was getting so demoralized.without updates. PBS without search is Bookmunch.

classicana avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 2/22/2017 1:47 PM ET

Be sure to keep checking this topic

Update on Search Issues

in the CMT forum....

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/1/2017 10:11 AM ET

Any updates?   Things get better and then worse.  Well over a month now.

Last Edited on: 3/9/17 7:52 AM ET - Total times edited: 3
Page: