Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Book Request Timed Out

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
lovejaneeyre avatar
Subject: Book Request Timed Out
Date Posted: 6/11/2014 10:55 AM ET

Book request timed out

This is my third go around to get my first book.
The first book I ordered was declined because of my RC. That's fine, it works the way it should and I'm happy about that.

The second time it was accepted but they did not mail in time and I got my credit back.

A few hours later I got a WishList offer for that book.
What I don't understand is it's the same person who did not mail the book in time is also the person offering me to book again.
Does that mean when someone does not mail a book in time the system puts the book back on their bookshelf?
Also they printed on the last day they had to mail so I'm wondering if they did mail it.
I will pm them again and see what's going on. 

thameslink avatar
Friend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 6/11/2014 11:12 AM ET

Yes, if someone did not mail the book in time (or mark it mailed in time), the book is removed from their bookshelf. However, they obviously reposted it and apparently it had been the only copy in the system, so that timed out request went onto your wishlist, so when they reposted it, it was offered to you as a wishlist offer. Yes, it is possible that they had mailed it in time but did not mark it mailed. Or they didn't get it mailed in time...PMing them is a good idea just to be clear what happened/is happening. Usually book requests go smoother than this, but sometimes life gets in the way of mailing a book on time, so be patient...

lovejaneeyre avatar
Date Posted: 6/11/2014 11:34 AM ET

Thanks! 

I pm'ed and just found out they had problem and reposted the book.  

I accepted and they said they would mail today. Yay!

lovejaneeyre avatar
Date Posted: 7/12/2014 8:54 AM ET

This morning I got an email from PBS telling me the book has been marked lost.  I see there are now 5 copies available.  How many days should I wait before I try a 4th time to order this book?  Just in case the other book is delayed but making it's way to my house.  Thanks! 

soelo avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/12/2014 10:06 AM ET

Have you talked to the sender of the book that has been marked lost to see when they mailed it? Not that you have to, but you could PM them and ask. Sometimes they will say they never mailed it and sometimes they will say it was just mailed a week ago. That is against the rules, but it happens. If they didn't mail it within two days of them hitting the "Book has been mailed" button, they should have asked you before mailing it out. If they don't answer in a few days or admit they never mailed it, I'd reorder. If they give you an actual date, I'd wait about 2 weeks after that date.

Since this is your first book, please know that most transactions are not this complicated. Delayed mailing and multiple rollovers usually only happen to me 1-2 times per year, if that. I just had a book that was 3 days from going lost when it showed up. Sure enough, it had been mailed 2 weeks late.

Patouie avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Approver medalTour Guide Asst. Coord. medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 7/12/2014 4:02 PM ET

The site recommends waiting two weeks before reordering.  Here's the explanation:

A book I requested is lost in the mail. What now?

If a book you requested does not arrive by the 26th day (the 35th day if the sender or requestor is outside the contiguous US) after it was marked mailed, it will be declared lost in the mail at PBS. The requestor does not mark the book Lost; the system does this. 

The requestor will get credit back, and the book will go onto the Wish List (if there are no available copies in the system) or the Reminder List (if there are other copies available to request).  If the book was a Wish List book when it was requested before, the requestor will go back to his or her previous place "in line" for the book.

• However, this does not mean that the book is definitely lost.  Sometimes it is merely delayed en route.
  • If the book arrives after it has been declared Lost, the requestor must mark it received from the Transaction Archive.
    • At this time, the credit will be taken back and given to the sender for sending the book.
    • The only exception to this is the situation when the "lost" book was actually mailed very late without notice from the sender - if this is the situation AND the requestor has re-requested and gotten a second copy, the requestor does not have to mark the late-mailed book as received.

What you should do if a book you requested is declared Lost in the Mail:

• Contact the sender, to find out if mailing was delayed for some reason.
    • you can do this from your Transaction Archive, using the PM button on this Lost transaction in that list.
  • If the mailing was not delayed, the sender should call 800-ASK-USPS or go to http://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms/MLNtRcvd.aspx (the Postal Inspection Service's website) and input the information online there . This will help USPS try to recover the book if it truly has been lost in the mail.
  • Don't re-request the book for at least 2 weeks, unless you are willing to run the risk of getting two copies (and paying a credit for both).

If you are having a lot of books declared "Lost" en route to you:

• You should investigate this.  Excessive unreceived books may jeopardize your membership.
    • Numerous books sent separately but not arriving at your address implies that something is wrong with your mail delivery.
    • Requestors are responsible for providing correct, dependable mailing information to senders.
  • Check your address in your Account Settings, to be sure that it is correct.
  • You can send a PM to the sender of any or all of the lost books, to ask if the book was mailed late, by any chance, as described above.
  • Talk to your PO and mail carrier to see if the book might have been misdelivered to a neighbor.
  • Consider using a PO box or alternate (ie, work) address until the matter is sorted out.

Last Edited on: 7/12/14 4:04 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
lovejaneeyre avatar
Date Posted: 7/12/2014 4:46 PM ET

Thanks Sarah and Patty.  I shall wait 2 weeks.  I might find it at goodwill in the meantime.