Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Is This Book Unpostable?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
math-teacher avatar
Subject: Is This Book Unpostable?
Date Posted: 8/2/2009 7:36 AM ET

I'm a new member, and I have a dilemma.  I purchased a recently published hardcover nonfiction book at a thrift store.  Although it is not a typical textbook, it appears to have been used as a textbook or supplement for a college class.  It has underlining/highlighting/writing on 16 of the 240 pages, but is otherwise in very good condition.  It is a highly desired book, with a WL over 75.  Also, it currently sells on Amazon for about $18, with used copies going for about $10.

So, do I:

Prunella avatar
Date Posted: 8/2/2009 11:26 AM ET

Hi Marsha,

I believe  it's not postable to you Book Shelf.  But it can be posted for a credit in the Book Bazaar as long as you describe the conditon clearly (underlining/highlighting/writing).  From the Help Documents:

Overall Condition:

• No damage at all from water or other liquid
  • Not soiled
  • No stains (exception for cookbooks--see below)
  • No mold
  • no highlighting, underlining or writing on text pages (exception for textbooks --see below)
  • No writing or highlighting or underlining on text pages
    • a signature or note on the flyleaf or inside front or back cover is OKAY
    • an author's signature on the title page is OKAY
    • writing or highlighting or underlining on the text pages is NOT OKAY
      • Exception: if it is a textbook or workbook, these are expected to have highlighting/underlining/writing
        • if you post a textbook/workbook, the condition must be described to the requestor in a Personal Message
        • AND the described condition MUST BE AGREED TO in a reply PM before the book is sent
        • This is the one of the ONLY two cases in which a PM exchange about a book is required before the book can be sent(the other is for cookbooks--see below).

Last Edited on: 8/2/09 11:30 AM ET - Total times edited: 4
CozSnShine avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 8/2/2009 11:29 AM ET

Well, actually, the PBS team has said that ANY book can be classified as a text book.  All you did to do is post the book and follow the guidelines for text books.    I think I am remembering this correctly.

I will research and see if I can find the thread where that is talked about.

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Repeated from other thread of same name.
Date Posted: 8/2/2009 11:47 AM ET

Marsha,

Under help docs there's an entry called "what is the definition for a textbook?"  It describes the situation you are asking about. Link below.

http://www.paperbackswap.com/help/search.php?terms=textbooks

Since the book is WL, if you post it and the first person doesn't want it, you might want to ask them to put RCs about no highlighting/etc because if you try to post it again (in the hopes of reaching the other people on the WL) it will go to them again.

It might be easier to just sell it, as $10 is a lot more than the price of a credit.

Good luck.

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/2/2009 1:11 PM ET

It is postable, and you must follow the rules for textbooks (before you mail it, you must describe the condition to the requestor and they must ACCEPT the condition via PM).

bookreadera avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/2/2009 1:16 PM ET

This is from the Help Center on this: (italics mine)

Member B posts a novel (fiction) that she used in a class - something that most people would NOT consider a textbook.

• Following the Book Condition Criteria for 'Swappability' at PBS textbook exception rules, she sends a Personal Message to the requestor when she gets a request, describing the book's condition.
  •  
  • Chances are good that she will NOT get PM consent from the requestor to send the book with highlighting/etc.
  • If the requestor declines the book in its condition, Member B will have to cancel the request and repost her book.  It will go to the 'back of the line' for requests.  (If it is a Wish Listed book, it will be offered to the same wisher and the sender will again have to cancel.  She will have to wait for the wishing member to get a copy of this book from someone else before Member B can post her copy again.)

You could ask the first requestor to add an RC, but they don't have to oblige.  And then you have to ask the next person who refuses to add an RC...Personally, I'd just post it in the Bazaar and ask a credit.  Someone will take it  : )